LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

Jessie Williams just makes sense for us in the first round.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Brandon Williams in the 3rd? Apparently you're still stuck in December. He's moved up to anywhere between early to late 2nd round consideration. He'll be gone by the 49ers pick in the late 2nd most likely....so realistically its Jesse Williams in the 1st or you take some random project like Geathers late in the draft who likely won't turn out to be much of anything.

What makes you so sure geathers is a bust and williams is a blue chip
Originally posted by eonblue:
What makes you so sure geathers is a bust and williams is a blue chip

Geathers pushed Jenkins to DE on some downs. So i'd say he's a bit better than given credit for. Just will initially be looked at as one of those kids who should have stayed in school another year due to physical immaturity early on, but he is definitely the part.

Speaking of Georgia, I wouldnt mind Corneilius Washington with a late 4th or early 5th rounder. He is a big, sure tackler who creates some pass rush with a strong upper body to match his lower body power. Could be a steal in this year's draft.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Rather have B. Williams in third as well. I agree that our 2nd pick should be Reid or Cyprien. I like both guys. Would love to get Vaccaro tho, wishlist tho. If we could trade up for Austin, that would be great but id trade up for Vaccaro before Austin simply because thats where the hole is

Brandon Williams in the 3rd? Apparently you're still stuck in December. He's moved up to anywhere between early to late 2nd round consideration. He'll be gone by the 49ers pick in the late 2nd most likely....so realistically its Jesse Williams in the 1st or you take some random project like Geathers late in the draft who likely won't turn out to be much of anything.

i meant *as the 3rd, not in 3rd. But yes, i doubt he will be there as well. So do we trade up, reach, or trade down?
I think you are tremendously short-changing him. Williams is talented and rare enough to be a credible potential starter at either DE or NT with good size for both positions. No he's not much of a pass rusher but he's a guy who was one of the top defensive players on the best defense in college football. He's someone who truly can be a difference maker and would greatly improve the depth and effectiveness of the 49ers defensive line.

D-Linemen don't need to be excellent pass rushers in a 3-4 alignment. They need to hold the point, collapse the pocket and make space for the LBs to make plays including sacks. This is why the Smith brothers are so effective: JS occupies 2 OL and AS is clear to the QB. Poetry in motion!
Originally posted by captain_planet:
You guys are crazy.
Doesn't Baalke like college production?
Where on earth is his production?
In 2 seasons at Alabama, he amassed:
17 solo tackles, 6.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 forced fumbles, and 0 fumble recoveries?
Absolutely NO WAY we take him in the 1st round.

Took awhile but finally someone he's it how it was. Williams didn't produce much and I personally think his speed is just not there in the trenches and his lower body has nowhere close to the strength he should for a man his size.

Nothanks to JW
No he doesn't. We have Ian Wiliams who's just extended and has playing time and done 2 years offseason. Now that makes sense
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Took awhile but finally someone he's it how it was. Williams didn't produce much and I personally think his speed is just not there in the trenches and his lower body has nowhere close to the strength he should for a man his size.

Nothanks to JW

His own.teammates have said he has stick legs. Lower body strength is so important.for hold the point of attack. I don't think he should be play at 0. 3 tec in a four man front would suit him.

I honestly don't see why people thinks he has to be a 1st round pick. No ones going to pick him in the 1st. This class is think with his type. Hankins, Jenkins, B will, j will, s will, kawaan short. I'm willing to be one of them make it to our 3rd.
[ Edited by eonblue on Apr 4, 2013 at 7:05 AM ]
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Ok, I am completely lost on the logic of this board.

Hardly anyone likes John Jenkins for the EXACT SAME REASON they love Jesse Williams.

Is it because Bama beat Georgia?? Or is it some other reason??

Truth told...John Jenkins fits what we do because not only is he a run stuffer, but he is a very quick short area pass rusher who gets great penetration.

Please someone help me understand.

I look at Williams over Jenkins based on what the Niner's look for in a player. Williams is more athletic, stronger (see 37 reps of 225lbs) and in better shape then Jenkins. He can also be used in the backfield on goal line situations. Blaake and Harbaugh like their players to be versatile and he fits that better then Jenkins. IMO.
Originally posted by captain_planet:
You guys are crazy.
Doesn't Baalke like college production?
Where on earth is his production?
In 2 seasons at Alabama, he amassed:
17 solo tackles, 6.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 forced fumbles, and 0 fumble recoveries?
Absolutely NO WAY we take him in the 1st round.

He played mostly NT at Bama and that's what they do. The dirty work. Clogging up the middle, taking on multiple players to stop the run and free up other's to get to the QB.
FINALLY A COLLABORATOR !!...LOL, But seriously, my first rd. pick. Either at 31 or 34, he has to be on our team..

Here's a link to DT/NT.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000156989/article/2013-nfl-draft-star-lotulelei-sharrif-floyd-are-top-dt-prospects
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
He played mostly NT at Bama and that's what they do. The dirty work. Clogging up the middle, taking on multiple players to stop the run and free up other's to get to the QB.

I agree with you. However, the point is that the same reasons people are champions for Williams are the EXACT same reasons they discount Jenkins. Which is what I do not understand.

Jenkins clogs the middle, takes on mulitple players, stops the run, frees up others...BUT the caveat to Jenkins is that he is also a very good pass rusher up the middle when called to do so...something that Williams just does not offer.
I agree with you. However, the point is that the same reasons people are champions for Williams are the EXACT same reasons they discount Jenkins. Which is what I do not understand.

Jenkins clogs the middle, takes on mulitple players, stops the run, frees up others...BUT the caveat to Jenkins is that he is also a very good pass rusher up the middle when called to do so...something that Williams just does not offer.

This is true.
the nose tackle is only going to play 2 downs--not 3rd down. He needs to take on double blocks. The Niners need a real NT more than versatility. Dorsey is versatility.
[ Edited by sfninerfanMax on Apr 5, 2013 at 12:56 AM ]
Yeah, not feeling Williams. I think a motivated Hankins could do the trick.
Share 49ersWebzone