LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 416 users in the forums

Who is your favorite safety in this years draft.

Who is your favorite safety in this years draft.

I really like Cyprien or Swearinger. Both are good hitters and show potential in pass coverage.
I like Cyprien but wouldnt mind taking Eric Reid
Amerson and TJ McDonald way underrated. Cyprien misses as many tackles as he makes. It's a toss up between Cyprien and Reid for who is the most overrated.
[ Edited by bigwads on Mar 30, 2013 at 9:07 PM ]
Amerson because of his size and his ability to play CB if needed, although I'm hearing the 9ers are interested in Duke
I love Phillip Thomas as a future Center Fielder in the secondary, he is the most complete player there
Originally posted by bigwads:
Amerson and TJ McDonald way underrated. Cyprien misses as many tackles as he makes. It's a toss up between Cyprien and Reid for who is the most overrated.

I agree McDonald is underrated in another draft year he would be a 1st rounder I don't believe he is anything like Taylor Mays he has more refined technique and better ability to cover and cover deep...He is the best safety in this draft against the run
Originally posted by Orlando49erfan:

I agree McDonald is underrated in another draft year he would be a 1st rounder I don't believe he is anything like Taylor Mays he has more refined technique and better ability to cover and cover deep...He is the best safety in this draft against the run

No way in hell is Mcdonald the best S in the draft against the run. This draft is really strong at S, and the majority of them are SS that play well inside the box.

TJ Mcdonald is not underrated.
The guys i really like are Thomas and Wilcox. I am also intrigued by Boyett.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

No way in hell is Mcdonald the best S in the draft against the run. This draft is really strong at S, and the majority of them are SS that play well inside the box.

I know that what is said by opinions I was just citing Walter Football in their analysis of safetys in the draft but lets just say he is amomg the top rated S's playing the run in this draft
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Me, like Cyprien or Amerson at #61.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 31, 2013 at 7:36 AM ]

Shamarko Thomas and Duke Williams !! Great value picks in this draft!
Bacarri Rambo and Phillip Thomas are my 2 favorite Free Safeties.. Both are true Free Safeties..

For those of you saying David Amerson converting to safety, the guy is scrawny and can't tackle.. DO NOT want that out of a safety..

As for Strong Safeties, there's literally an incredible amount of really good options throughout the entire draft.. Hope we get one of them
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

I know that what is said by opinions I was just citing Walter Football in their analysis of safetys in the draft but lets just say he is amomg the top rated S's playing the run in this draft

I don't get caught up in who the "best" is or whatever, but I think McDonald takes good angles and plays well in space-in fact I think he may be one of the better zone safeties in the draft. Amerson also plays well in a zone.

McDonald's height, arm length and vert are factually the "best," however. As to the best run stuffer, I actually think that Thomas may be worthy of that accolade.

I see serious issues when I watch Cyprien and Reid play. Both in run defense and pass coverage. Vacarro is probably the most well rounded safety, but he isn't even close to a Reed or some of the best safeties to come out in the last decade or so. In fact, I think Thomas in Seattle was a better prospect than Vaccaro by far.

Mays was horrible in coverage...horrible. The safety position, more so than any other position besides QB, takes skills that are not necessarily "athletic." The ability think, read an offense, anticipate, play in space etc. are much more important. Those that do not, even though they may be great athletes i.e. Mays, simply cannot play the position.

Notice that those skills I mentioned above are what Goldson had in spades, which was why he was a great player. He was not a good athlete at all, comparatively speaking of course.

The reason Whitner sucks ass is he cannot anticipate in coverage at all and has no ability to play in space. He simply has no awareness in coverage which is why the Ravens could run a one person route into his zone and he would still be wide open.

I will go on record right now saying McDonald is going to go way higher than anyone expects.
[ Edited by bigwads on Mar 31, 2013 at 10:07 AM ]
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Bacarri Rambo and Phillip Thomas are my 2 favorite Free Safeties.. Both are true Free Safeties..

For those of you saying David Amerson converting to safety, the guy is scrawny and can't tackle.. DO NOT want that out of a safety..

As for Strong Safeties, there's literally an incredible amount of really good options throughout the entire draft.. Hope we get one of them

I like both Thomas and Rambo, but as far as Amerson being "scrawny", I don't see how you can say that.

Rambo is 211 lbs
Thomas is 208 lbs
Amerson is 205 lbs

Now regarding tackling form, I think it is very likely that Rambo hits much harder. The basic question is probably what do the Niners want from the FS? A run stuffer or a ball hawk? That's the problem I have with most safeties in this draft. Good tacklers, questionable ball skills.
Originally posted by Butter:
I like both Thomas and Rambo, but as far as Amerson being "scrawny", I don't see how you can say that.

Rambo is 211 lbs
Thomas is 208 lbs
Amerson is 205 lbs

Now regarding tackling form, I think it is very likely that Rambo hits much harder. The basic question is probably what do the Niners want from the FS? A run stuffer or a ball hawk? That's the problem I have with most safeties in this draft. Good tacklers, questionable ball skills.

The problem with Amerson is that his tackling is not sufficient enough even if you wanted just a "ball hawking" safety.. Both Rambo and Thomas are ball hawks with above average tackling ability.. When I said Amerson is scrawny, I kind of just meant he doesn't use his body at all when tackling.. Kind of a p*ssy tackler IMO.. He's considered a poor tackler for a CB, let alone a safety where good tackling becomes a much more important attribute
Share 49ersWebzone