There are 140 users in the forums

Mock Draft with trade up for Tavon Austin - The perfect situation!

Originally posted by Broseph6:
We dnt need dl early this is. Deep dl draft we need depth on dl not starters right away

This. Why does a lot of u think DL is what we need to draft with our first picks? Last time I checked we still have our starters. So you guys think that a DE for rotation with our first pick would have a bigger impact/playing time then Tavon Austin who would be our punt returner/maybe kick returner, deep threat, and basically a player we can use anywhere on offense save the line? Call me crazy but im pretty sure Austin would have far more impact for the team then a Jesse Williams and because it is a deep safety class which is also a greater need for STARTER then DL for rotation we can trade for Austin and still get one of the top safety
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by blm7754:
I'm getting tired of all the Tavon Austin man-love. We aren't going to draft him. Period.

IF he happen to fall to 31, I'd consider it.... but he won't. We don't need him. We need a DL and a FS infinitely far more than we need a midget WR.

Two of the moves the team has made so far have been on the defensive line--the extending of Ian Williams and the signing of Dorsey.
Those moves should lessen our need on the defensive line.

Drafting Austin does not prevent us from drafting a free safety, a nose tackle, or a defensive end.

We need a wide receiver. Austin is a wide receiver. He is the most explosive offensive player in this draft. We have a glut of draft picks.

But, we should not trade up to get him because he is a midget.

Austin has the skill set of De Sean Jackson and none of the character issues.

Austin has the versatility of Percy Harvin and none of the headaches--those he has and those he causes.

Signing Dorsey and extending Williams only lessen the short term need for DL. It doesn't address the fact that we have invested VERY LITTLE in our DL, an extremely important position group. We have very weak DL depth and Justin Smith is entering his final year.

We do need a WR... I completely agree. But there are so many very good prospects available in round 2, that it would be crazy to give up a lot to trade up for a WR like Austin. Electric, yes. But he is far from a sure thing. We aren't talking about a Calvin Johnson type of prospect here.
I like this mock. Not sure how realistic it is that we trade up for Austin. I'd be stoked if both Alford and Dobson were there in the 4th.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
Signing Dorsey and extending Williams only lessen the short term need for DL. It doesn't address the fact that we have invested VERY LITTLE in our DL, an extremely important position group. We have very weak DL depth and Justin Smith is entering his final year.

We do need a WR... I completely agree. But there are so many very good prospects available in round 2, that it would be crazy to give up a lot to trade up for a WR like Austin. Electric, yes. But he is far from a sure thing. We aren't talking about a Calvin Johnson type of prospect here.

I do think that Tavon Austin is a game changing prospect; that he is a Calvin Johnson type prospect--a nano-Johnson, if you will.

I think it is possible to trade up for Austin, still get solid help at nose tackle, safety, and defensive end.

Trade picks # 34, #74, and our 2014 2nd (about 1050 points)to New Orleans for pick # 14 (1050 points).

After taking Austin at 14. After that, I am not exactly sure who to take, but the following is possible.

#14 Tavon Austin

#31 Sylvester Williams / Jonathan Cyprien

#61 Phillip Thomas/ Jessie Williams

#93 Brandon Williams / Travis Kelce

Trade two two 5th round picks and a 7th (67 points) to Chicago for pick #117 (66 points)

#117 Matt More

#128 OT/ OLB

#131 Earl Wolff/ OT/ OLB
We have the picks, we use them, we solve our major problems, and we get the most dynamic offensive player in the draft.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 30, 2013 at 4:13 PM ]
What I really wanted was Tavon Austin, Datone Jones, the Cyrpien
Your premise is flawed from the beginning. Rams aren't going to trade down with a division rival when they could use the help at WR, just like the Niners front office aren't going to give the Rams more ammunition to get better. End of thread.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I like this mock. Not sure how realistic it is that we trade up for Austin. I'd be stoked if both Alford and Dobson were there in the 4th.

I made this mock to give everyone an idea of how it would work. I think hell be there around pick 20 due to his size, and some of the other bigger receivers seem to be better fits for other offenses. He could even drop to 31, buts it;s highly unlikely.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Your premise is flawed from the beginning. Rams aren't going to trade down with a division rival when they could use the help at WR, just like the Niners front office aren't going to give the Rams more ammunition to get better. End of thread.

Could make the trade with the Bengals, Bears, or Giants. I think the two teams we need to jump ahead of are the Vikings and Rams as I feel those are going to be his primary suitors. If you guys enjoyed my draft, I would enjoy making another one. What other players do you feel are worth trading up for if I were to make another one.
Not a fan of your first 3 rounds... really like most of the rest.

( and Hodges would need to strengthen up and be a backup ILB in our 3-4 )
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

I will be doing a second version soon. I only did a Tavon Austin one with all of the hype surrounding his pro day. Some people are fans, some people aren't. Would people like me to do more of these?

Pretty good draft but Austin will be gone before 22. Also don't like giving rams more picks. And thank you for not drafting a RB, we don't need one.
Originally posted by 49ersfansince90:
I really dont think we need to compliment things with making any big time trades. Especially any trade that includes anoher NFC West team. The only player I would like to trade up for would be Vaccaro. If not give me;

Round 1 Margus Hunt - I watched him play and he was an absolute beast. He literally manhandles O lineman with is strength. Would rotate with Justin Smith and Ray McDonad for a season or 2. Scouts compare him to Calais Campbell. Set school record for blocked kicks. He has a huge celing and would a good successor to Justin Smith.

Round 2 I: Jesse Williams - NT That can step in and play right now. Runs a 4.78 at 6'4 323. That means he has the ability to run down a scrambling QB in the backfield (Russell Wilson). Played NT for Nick Saban at Alabama so he has been tested a
nd successful in college footballs highest level of competition.

Margus Hunt not worth a first, maybe a 2nd or late 2nd and not a fan of Jesse Williams. I did a bunch of reading on him, but I will go watch some tape and collaborate with the rest of the information I have available.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Ya, but we also got some guys coming back from IR and he could compete with them and go to practice squad.
Originally posted by Walsh:
Seems good to me. The dye may all ready be cast for Jenkins future with us in the eyes of the coaching staff. We might need to draft a high receiver again. I also really hope we grab a safety in the draft that can play deep. Another corner early on is good too.

and you know this because you are on the coaching staff? Might be all smoke and mirrors. In addition, as someone stated, you really don't want to deal and help a division rival. Rams won't help us even if it means more picks for them to build and we won't help then rebuild with our picks.

One thing is almost for certain, since Baalke and Harbaught took over, any pick that the prognosticators and the webzone fan base have the 49ers seriously picking with the first two rounds, then you know that they aren't going to be the picks (especially the first)-haha .

BTW- I think he (TA) is going before that, but this draft is the craziest on paper as everyone has many of the picks going all over the board.
[ Edited by WildBill on Mar 30, 2013 at 6:17 PM ]
Originally posted by tohara3:
Like most of the picks, just not sure about the trades.

all the trades add up point value wise to they are realistic. The only real valid point I've heard concerning my trades in a bad way is that were trading with the Rams. But the way I look at it we keep them from drafting him wich is a perk. We need to jump Minesota, Saint Louis, and the Patriots in my opinion to get him but I feel his value is at pick 18 or later.
Share 49ersWebzone