There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Casserly's Updated Mock

wouldnt really mind eifert but we can probably grab a guy like escobar in the 3rd and capitalize on dline and secondary with our 1st 3 picks
If Eifert is there, take him. He is an absolute monster.
Originally posted by xela510:
If Eifert is there, take him. He is an absolute monster.

Adding a 6'5 255lb TE like Eifert who can go up and get the rock would be invaluable to the 49ers and their RZ offense.

We need Monsters not midgets.

[ Edited by SkyGod on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:55 AM ]
I'm all for getting Eifert at 31 especially if he's there because that makes him the BPA and with him in our offense then it could be even more explosive with him and Vernon.
Eifert, and the TE position in general, is more of a want than a need at this point. Having said that, when you are talking about a rotational DL guy as a need it means this team is loaded all around. What I find interesting is that analysts are all over the map when it comes to the 49ers this offseason. For example, drafting a TE like Eifert early suggests a continued use of heavy set formations. The other player everyone talks about with respect to the 49ers offense is Tavon Austin, who would operate much more effectively in spread out scenarios in space. So which is it?

Based on this mock, I'm not sure if the cost is worth the benefit to move up that far to grab Tavon Austin. I have heard some say top 10 talent but every mock has him in the 17-24 range in terms of overall talent. If the team believes in Jenkins' future, then why move up to grab Austin? Maybe if he drops far enough you make a move, but for now I'd rather stick with what has been working, which is power football. So if Eifert lasts that long I'd draft him in a heartbeat.

As the other poster suggested, we still have the early 2nd rounder to address DL rotational depth or the secondary.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Eifert, and the TE position in general, is more of a want than a need at this point. Having said that, when you are talking about a rotational DL guy as a need it means this team is loaded all around. What I find interesting is that analysts are all over the map when it comes to the 49ers this offseason. For example, drafting a TE like Eifert early suggests a continued use of heavy set formations. The other player everyone talks about with respect to the 49ers offense is Tavon Austin, who would operate much more effectively in spread out scenarios in space. So which is it?

Based on this mock, I'm not sure if the cost is worth the benefit to move up that far to grab Tavon Austin. I have heard some say top 10 talent but every mock has him in the 17-24 range in terms of overall talent. If the team believes in Jenkins' future, then why move up to grab Austin? Maybe if he drops far enough you make a move, but for now I'd rather stick with what has been working, which is power football. So if Eifert lasts that long I'd draft him in a heartbeat.

As the other poster suggested, we still have the early 2nd rounder to address DL rotational depth or the secondary.

Disagree here. Harbaugh's offense relies on TEs who can block and get down the field to create mismatches and openings for the run game and the WRs. Even at Stanford he brought in more than one really talented TE at a time for this purpose. Having a guy like Eifert in the game with VD is a mismatch waiting to happen. Neither can be covered by LBs so the other teams will likely need to keep five DBs in the game, opening up the LOS for Gore, Hunter and James. While I really appreciated Walker's versatility, he was never a reliable receiver. Made some really important catches, then would turn around and drop a wide open gimme.

But you are right about the pundits being all over the map! The reason I would rate Eifert ahead of Austin is that he may drop to the 31 spot, whereas Austin is unlikely to drop out of the top twenty. Why? There are really no equivalents to Austin, but there are several interesting TEs in the top three rounds.

As for DL--that is a need, so I would expect the 9ers to keep as many top picks as they can rather than using multiple high picks to move up. If they can use the first three picks on TE, DL and S it would make great sense to me (in whatever order it falls).