LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 334 users in the forums

Safety Prospects that can play both SS and FS well?

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
If hes alot like goldson I'm passing I want someone better someone who wont make dumb plays N get dumb penalties
I had JJ Wilcox in my mock draft at #74 N Eric Wolff in 5th round ...

Wolff is one of my favorites. I think he could end up being one of the steals in this draft.

He has good coverage skills and can tackle. Decent size and very good speed and quickness.

Not sure why is flying under most people's radar.
  • buck
  • Veteran
double post
[ Edited by buck on Mar 18, 2013 at 9:32 PM ]
I would like matt elam or phillip thomas from fresno!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thuglife619:
I would like matt elam or phillip thomas from fresno!

I would like to get Phillip Thomas to play free safety, although he could play both strong and free.

Strong Safety Earl Wolff might be a very good value. He should be available later in the draft, and in my estimation has potential to become a solid starter.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM ]
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NYCNINER:
Chris Culliver!

People need to stop with this asinine nonsense. Culliver played like the best cornerback on this team for much of the season. He's not moving to safety.

This. Culliver is a potential star corner in the making. Just Watch him become one of the top corners in the league.

NO. Not this.

I like what Phoenix brings to this draft forum, but that attitude is downright disrespectful and close-minded.

Culliver has plenty of solid moments at CB, but it's a mixed bag. Moving him to FS does make sense in many ways. First.. it puts Rogers back at LCB where he belongs. Not sure what some were watching, but Rogers as a NCB was a mess. The guy does not have the click and close recovery to keep up in the slot. Culliver shadows receivers well, but has poor ability to shadow AND locate the ball once it is on its way. Culliver has remarkable speed (range) for the safety position, and he's physical as well. He could easily benefit from seeing the plays develop in front of him... then closing with that speed.. and making a play with that long reach. He has prior experience at S and a full offseason would get him sharpened up... more so than any damn rookie. This is also a sweet CB draft class, so it isn't as if we would be desperately inept at filling in at CB.

So it should be fine to express the opinion of Cully to FS without someone being rude and puffing out their chest to shut that down.

... but if we go with an early rookie safety that could play either S spot? I like Swearinger or Reid in rd 2 (prefer both at SS) or Rambo in rd 3.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
ehhh i still don't think Datone falls to us. i see ours going like this:

31. Matt Elam, Florida
34. Margus Hunt, SMU
61. Brandon Williams, Missouri Southern
74. Da'Rick Rogers, Tennessee Tech
93. Bacarri Rambo, Georgia

Something about Elam doesn't sit right with me.

IMO he is one of the most versatile safeties available. very instinctive with a high IQ on the field. I'd take a shot at him if available, no doubt.

PLEASE NO OLD ROOKIE HUNT N we have alot picks why not trade up 5-8 spots use a few late round picks to get Jones? ??

i'm still baffled that people are willing to bypass Hunt just because he's 25. folks, he's NOT gonna be starting this year, regardless. he's supposed to be here to spell Cowboy/RayMac. what a great group to learn from if you're a d-lineman.

Also, if i'm able to come away from the draft with those five players i've listed, i'd be ECSTATIC

He wont play next yr he's way raw maybe a yr 3 starter N 28+ by then not thanks I don't wanna see 49ers pay bigg for a 30+ yr old 2nd contact Guy N before I hear the we payed Smith bigg money at 28 yrs old just remember Smith came with NFL experience ....

LOL you say he won't play next year like you can see the future or something? I have confidence in our coaching staff and our players on defense to get the absolute best out of Hunt. Like I mentioned, we're looking for DEPTH at the d-line position, not players to start over Justin or Ray right now. Those two still have a few good years in them left. Hunt, is someone that can spell both.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Chris Culliver!

People need to stop with this asinine nonsense. Culliver played like the best cornerback on this team for much of the season. He's not moving to safety.

This. Culliver is a potential star corner in the making. Just Watch him become one of the top corners in the league.

NO. Not this.

I like what Phoenix brings to this draft forum, but that attitude is downright disrespectful and close-minded.

Culliver has plenty of solid moments at CB, but it's a mixed bag. Moving him to FS does make sense in many ways. First.. it puts Rogers back at LCB where he belongs. Not sure what some were watching, but Rogers as a NCB was a mess. The guy does not have the click and close recovery to keep up in the slot. Culliver shadows receivers well, but has poor ability to shadow AND locate the ball once it is on its way. Culliver has remarkable speed (range) for the safety position, and he's physical as well. He could easily benefit from seeing the plays develop in front of him... then closing with that speed.. and making a play with that long reach. He has prior experience at S and a full offseason would get him sharpened up... more so than any damn rookie. This is also a sweet CB draft class, so it isn't as if we would be desperately inept at filling in at CB.

So it should be fine to express the opinion of Cully to FS without someone being rude and puffing out their chest to shut that down.

... but if we go with an early rookie safety that could play either S spot? I like Swearinger or Reid in rd 2 (prefer both at SS) or Rambo in rd 3.

good post.

and yes, some people (not gonna name names) need to take it easy with the rude posts and chest puffing just because they have different opinions. i can understand if someone mentions an idea that is a bit ridiculous like drafting a running back in the 1st, but to put someone down for offering a realistic idea like a player making a position change where they have experience, I see no problems with that.
Originally posted by 9moon:
I personally think that Tony Jefferson is the best all around safety in this draft..

Really like this kid after doing some research on him. Wo
Originally posted by tohara3:
I personally think that Tony Jefferson is the best all around safety in this draft..

To bad he's slooooooooooooow as hell. His official 4.75 time was slower than his teammate, left tackle prospect Lane Johnson (4.72), who's almost 100lbs heavier than Jefferson!
I'd love to land Elam...no confidence he'd still be there at #34 (I'd take top big DL on the board at #31). If he's gone, then Phillip Thomas would be my guy at #61. Have to love this guy's warrior mentality...suffered a broken leg and dislocated ankle as a junior, but still came back to have a very strong senior season, leading the nation w/8 picks.

As a linebacker or as a safety? Because his lack of foot speed is glaring enough that teams have looked at him as the former if he can bulk up a bit.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
NO. Not this.

I'll put down money against anyone that Culliver stays at cornerback. He has the perfect size for the position and QB's had a ridiculously low passer rating throwing the ball in his general direction. To me, he was drafted as a cornerback and will remain at cornerback, especially with Brown being a free agent next year and Rogers riding off into the sunset after this following season since his performance no longer justifies his salaryand the dead money hit will basically be nil.

You don't take a guy with excellent coverage ability and outstanding athletic prowess and move him to safety in the prime of his career after he had one bad game. To me that's emotionally-based fan logic. "This guy was one of the better cornerbacks in the NFL but struggled in the Superbowl..clearly he needs to move to safety."

Crazier things have happened in the past but to me, there's not a chance of that. I think he's penciled in as a long-term starter for the 49ers at CB with a future draft pick at the other spot. Culliver is more valuable to the 49ers as a cornerback than as a free safety. With this draft being absolutely loaded with safeties, the 49ers easily could go with a quality rookie that can be a starter from day 1.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 20, 2013 at 1:08 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
It is a definite possibility... Maybe we draft a corner & move Cully! I would not be against it as I had great seats @ the superbowl to watch him get lit up!!!

According to Pro Football Focus, Culliver has allowed the lowest percentage of completions of all NFL cornerbacks who have played more than 300 snaps this season. He's allowed 38.4 percent of passes to be caught. That's 14 passes for 150 yards and no TDs. Quarterbacks have a 28.7 rating throwing into Culliver's coverage – 2nd-lowest of all CBs who've played more than 300 snaps.

The guy must be one of the most underappreciated 49ers that I've seen. Yes he struggled in the Superbowl, so did the rest of the 49ers. For the season, he wasn't just good, he was dominating at times, played at an elite level.

And if I remember correctly, people freaked when Baalke drafted him to play corner back.

edit: I also think that your asinine comment was not needed.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 21, 2013 at 4:25 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

To bad he's slooooooooooooow as hell. His official 4.75 time was slower than his teammate, left tackle prospect Lane Johnson (4.72), who's almost 100lbs heavier than Jefferson!

Yeah, he has great film. Loved how he played during the season.

But since he has came out, his coaches have bad mouthed him about poor work ethic. And then he turned in a bad combine. Really really bad combination.
I'll put down money against anyone that Culliver stays at cornerback. He has the perfect size for the position and QB's had a ridiculously low passer rating throwing the ball in his general direction. To me, he was drafted as a cornerback and will remain at cornerback, especially with Brown being a free agent next year and Rogers riding off into the sunset after this following season since his performance no longer justifies his salaryand the dead money hit will basically be nil.

You don't take a guy with excellent coverage ability and outstanding athletic prowess and move him to safety in the prime of his career after he had one bad game. To me that's emotionally-based fan logic. "This guy was one of the better cornerbacks in the NFL but struggled in the Superbowl..clearly he needs to move to safety."

Crazier things have happened in the past but to me, there's not a chance of that. I think he's penciled in as a long-term starter for the 49ers at CB with a future draft pick at the other spot. Culliver is more valuable to the 49ers as a cornerback than as a free safety. With this draft being absolutely loaded with safeties, the 49ers easily could go with a quality rookie that can be a starter from day 1.

Yeah, we all get how you feel. You make some fine points. MY point overall was that you still shouldn't be copping an attitude with fans about considering such a transition.. because there are also worthwhile points from the other side. Culliver probably won't be moved... but that doesn't mean such a move wouldn't turn out to be a good one. You say the draft is loaded with good safeties... yeah, it is. It is also loaded even more with good corners. Whatever happens is fine by me.

You getting bent outta shape and telling people that they "need to stop with this asinine nonsense" is something I'd like to think is beneath you.
Share 49ersWebzone