LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Safety Prospects that can play both SS and FS well?

I'd like to draft a safety with versatility that can play either position -- who are we looking at?
Mr Wilcox come on down............................................Decent size, hard hitter, played strong safety, but only played safety for a year, has very good coverage skills, former WR/RB, I think he's a total hybrid as a safety, could realistically play in either spot.

Jonathan Cyprien is another guy that I think could play both positions, either strong safety or free safety in the Goldson mold. Matt Elam also has good versatility, I'm just not too thrilled about his coverage skills.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Mr Wilcox come on down............................................Decent size, hard hitter, played strong safety, but only played safety for a year, has very good coverage skills, former WR/RB, I think he's a total hybrid as a safety, could realistically play in either spot.

Jonathan Cyprien is another guy that I think could play both positions, either strong safety or free safety in the Goldson mold. Matt Elam also has good versatility, I'm just not too thrilled about his coverage skills.

Too green at safety.

So, Cyprien?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Too green at safety.

So, Cyprien?

What is wrong with being "green." In one year he's gone from being on nobody's radar, to showing he can compete at the highest levels as a safety. I don't expect a single rookie drafted to be a starter next season, so taking a guy with massive potential seems to be a good route to go. Both Cyprien and Wilcox have high ceilings, but Wilcox won't cost you a 1st or early 2nd rounder.
To me Phoenix49ers, it seems that Bacarri Rambo is the best option here. He's a legit free safety prospect that is an excellent in the box safety when asked to do that.
I'm also convinced that Rambo wins the 'Most Similar to Dashon Goldson' award.
Chris Culliver!
Originally posted by NYCNINER:
Chris Culliver!

Cully at FS
Chris Culliver!

People need to stop with this asinine nonsense. Culliver played like the best cornerback on this team for much of the season. He's not moving to safety.
People need to stop with this asinine nonsense. Culliver played like the best cornerback on this team for much of the season. He's not moving to safety.

But he was a safety!

It is a definite possibility... Maybe we draft a corner & move Cully! I would not be against it as I had great seats @ the superbowl to watch him get lit up!!!
Originally posted by nickbradley:
But he was a safety!

There's your answer.
Also, I don't really care that Rambo smokes a little pot - its going to be legal at some point during his playing career anyway. And the dude has been through hell personally.

Making the call: Bacarri Rambo at #61!

It is a definite possibility... Maybe we draft a corner & move Cully! I would not be against it as I had great seats @ the superbowl to watch him get lit up!!!

According to Pro Football Focus, Culliver has allowed the lowest percentage of completions of all NFL cornerbacks who have played more than 300 snaps this season. He's allowed 38.4 percent of passes to be caught. That's 14 passes for 150 yards and no TDs. Quarterbacks have a 28.7 rating throwing into Culliver's coverage – 2nd-lowest of all CBs who've played more than 300 snaps.

The guy must be one of the most underappreciated 49ers that I've seen. Yes he struggled in the Superbowl, so did the rest of the 49ers. For the season, he wasn't just good, he was dominating at times, played at an elite level.

Exactly, he's too good to not be a full-time starter. With Goldson out, moving Culliver to FS would just be a move to get our best 4 DBs on the field. He's got experience at the position.

Once Rogers moves on, we move Culliver back to CB and our starting CBs are Culliver and Brown (or Jonathan Banks... pretty please).
Share 49ersWebzone