LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 345 users in the forums

Safety Prospects that can play both SS and FS well?

I'm an Elam guy, I love this guys IQ and ability to tackle. The man can sniff out plays!

That said, i'm trying to convince myself Reid will be a better fit for us at FS. Reminds me of Taylor Mays. Help?
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
I'm an Elam guy, I love this guys IQ and ability to tackle. The man can sniff out plays!

That said, i'm trying to convince myself Reid will be a better fit for us at FS. Reminds me of Taylor Mays. Help?

Eric Reid has much better stop and redirect ability to go along with discipline. He closes quickly and has good body control to stay balanced. He's way better at filling in hard against the run game. Don't think Taylor Mays... Think Dashon Goldson. He's not one of those rare safeties that should walk down on a slot WR and cover him man to man. Reid isn't perfect... but he'll be good in a center-fielder role.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Eric Reid has much better stop and redirect ability to go along with discipline. He closes quickly and has good body control to stay balanced. He's way better at filling in hard against the run game. Don't think Taylor Mays... Think Dashon Goldson. He's not one of those rare safeties that should walk down on a slot WR and cover him man to man. Reid isn't perfect... but he'll be good in a center-fielder role.

Sounds like a good fit to me!
According to MM: "This is a great draft at the safety position. At the NFL owners meetings, I repeatedly heard that a lot of teams believe there are five or six immediate starting safeties coming out in the draft."

Great news for us. I wonder who they are. There's gotta be at least one or two draft surprises that aren't the "big" names we're throwing around.

Go 9ers.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Sounds like a good fit to me!

Eric Reid is the youngest of the bunch just a JR but as I know he still needs to be coached up but has great potential I like him

Love Matt Elam. I hope he is our pick at safety.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

How is Elam any real difference from Whitner coming out of the draft? Undersized strong safety who has weaknesses when it comes to coverage. I'm tired of dancing to the same song.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SF69ers:

How is Elam any real difference from Whitner coming out of the draft? Undersized strong safety who has weaknesses when it comes to coverage. I'm tired of dancing to the same song.

I don't see Whitner at all, really. I see a guy that's versatile enough to play both safety positions. A guy that's much quicker than Whitner and a playmaker to the ball. Is her perfect? No. He's still got a lot to learn, but I'd take a shot with him.
How good is TJ McDonald?
Share 49ersWebzone