There are 165 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Safety Prospects that can play both SS and FS well?

Agree on all 3. But Rambo and Cyprien are much more ready to play now. Wilcox is, as stated above, very green and inexperienced at the position. Depending on whether we sign Reed or Woodson, we may need to get a guy that can clearly beat out Dahl by Week 1.
[ Edited by SammyFrancisco on Mar 18, 2013 at 12:05 PM ]
Originally posted by blm7754:
Exactly, he's too good to not be a full-time starter. With Goldson out, moving Culliver to FS would just be a move to get our best 4 DBs on the field. He's got experience at the position.

Once Rogers moves on, we move Culliver back to CB and our starting CBs are Culliver and Brown (or Jonathan Banks... pretty please).

Or just keep Culliver at CB, having him and Brown be starters for this upcoming season.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Also, I don't really care that Rambo smokes a little pot - its going to be legal at some point during his playing career anyway. And the dude has been through hell personally.

Making the call: Bacarri Rambo at #61!

No, too high for him IMO. Rambo at #74.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Exactly, he's too good to not be a full-time starter. With Goldson out, moving Culliver to FS would just be a move to get our best 4 DBs on the field. He's got experience at the position.

Once Rogers moves on, we move Culliver back to CB and our starting CBs are Culliver and Brown (or Jonathan Banks... pretty please).

Or just keep Culliver at CB, having him and Brown be starters for this upcoming season.

But then what do we do with Rogers? He makes too much money to be sitting on the bench. And like him or not, I'd rather have Rogers in the game than Trenton Robinson, CJ Spillman, or a rookie.
But then what do we do with Rogers? He makes too much money to be sitting on the bench. And like him or not, I'd rather have Rogers in the game than Trenton Robinson, CJ Spillman, or a rookie.

Nickel cornerback. Rogers clearly isn't better than Brown or Culliver at this point, so why should his salary determine that he gets played over either of them???

I honestly don't think he'll make it to #61. people don't really care that he eats pot brownies.
I'm also convinced that Rambo wins the 'Most Similar to Dashon Goldson' award.

If hes alot like goldson I'm passing I want someone better someone who wont make dumb plays N get dumb penalties
I had JJ Wilcox in my mock draft at #74 N Eric Wolff in 5th round ...
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
If hes alot like goldson I'm passing I want someone better someone who wont make dumb plays N get dumb penalties
I had JJ Wilcox in my mock draft at #74 N Eric Wolff in 5th round ...

He's better in coverage than Goldson.
Rambo, Cyprien, Elam, Thomas are my choices for safeties that can play either spot.

Nickel cornerback. Rogers clearly isn't better than Brown or Culliver at this point, so why should his salary determine that he gets played over either of them???

Well, it shouldn't. But Rogers is certainly one of our top 4 DBs (Brown, Culliver, Rogers, and Whitner). 2 of those guys can play safety, 2 of them can't. That's why I think our base defense should have all 4 of them on the field.

We can cut Rogers with minimal cap hit in a year. So unless moving to FS temporarily would be detrimental to his development as a CB, I'd say move Culliver to CB.

Of course, I think that's a good solution because I like Culliver. If I though he would always be the guy that showed up in the superbowl, I'd say keep him on the bench. But he is much better than that and belongs on the field. His versatility should ensure that he is a starter in 2013.

I honestly don't think he'll make it to #61. people don't really care that he eats pot brownies.

Yeah, I agree that won't affect his stock much. But he is a safety. Everybody values CBs over safeties. Usually, only a small number of safeties get drafted in the 1st and 2nd while a ton of CBs get picked because it's a higher valued position. Rambo isn't one of the top 5 safeties. He should be there in the 3rd.
Just did some research on that very topic...Vaccaro, Elam, Swearinger & Phillip Thomas fit what you're advocating for. Think we can safely forget Vaccaro...he'll very likely be off the board well before #31. However, Elam could be available. If Baalke chooses to wait 'til late 2nd/early 3rd rd, that's where I think Swearinger and P. Thomas could be good picks. Elam's got an excellent all-around game that could be suited for either SS or FS. The latter two are both warriors...Swearinger's arguably better suited for SS in the NFL, but Thomas has excellent ball skills that could well translate to FS.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Just did some research on that very topic...Vaccaro, Elam, Swearinger & Phillip Thomas fit what you're advocating for. Think we can safely forget Vaccaro...he'll very likely be off the board well before #31. However, Elam could be available. If Baalke chooses to wait 'til late 2nd/early 3rd rd, that's where I think Swearinger and P. Thomas could be good picks. Elam's got an excellent all-around game that could be suited for either SS or FS. The latter two are both warriors...Swearinger's arguably better suited for SS in the NFL, but Thomas has excellent ball skills that could well translate to FS.

Cool - I want Whitner gone.

He can be replayed by a day 1 or day 2 rookie
People need to stop with this asinine nonsense. Culliver played like the best cornerback on this team for much of the season. He's not moving to safety.

But he was a safety!

He def was a safety in college...

HAVING SAID THAT... moving him to safety would be terrible... his awareness on deep balls is poor at best... late to get his head around, poor sideline awareness, gets abused by bigger bodies and then gets mad when the guy gets the catch (a la SB).... all things considered i think our front 7 made Culliver look better than he is. For everyone that says WELL.... PFF RATES CULLY HIGH YO!!!! All i have to say is, compared to Tarrel Brown or Goldson, how many plays did Cully make these last 2 years, except for the occasional pass batted away, WHICH IS HIS JOB! What TD return do we remember? NONE!!

Cut Rodgers, extend Brown and get someone in there who's better than Cully and whitner and Spillman.... that's 3 db's at least that Baalke has to draft unless Spillman brings it

AS FAR AS the question posed in the post? I have no idea
ERIC REID

/Thread