There are 165 users in the forums

Tavon Austin in the 1st

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Austin is even smaller about 25 lbs lighter in build than this 49ers waste of a 2nd round midget draft pick...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000135103/Ravens-recover-fumble

You are reaching with this midget argument, but hey we all have our idiosyncrasies.

You want Patterson, a one year wonder, because he is bigger, and taller. The midget out performed him on the field, but size is what counts.

Go for it.

Originally posted by buck:
OK, Patterson is taller, heavier, and just as fast.

Austin is a midget.

Patterson is a one year wonder.

Austin played in 52 games.
Patterson played in 12 games.

But, who has been a better football player. Here are some different numbers.

Receiving
Patterson 46 778 yards 5 scores
Austin 288 3413 yards 29 scores

Rushing
Patterson 25 323 yards 3 scores
Austin 109 1031 yards 6 scores

Punt returns
Patterson 4 101 yards 1 score
Austin 34 433 yards 1 score

Kick returns
Patterson 24 671 yards 1 score
Austin 97 2407 yards 4 scores

In 2011, Austin was 3rd in the nation with in long plays with 45 plays of 30+ yards
In 2012, Austin was 1st in the nation in long plays with 73 plays of 30+ yards.

In 2112, Patterson was 14th in the nation in long plays with 38 plays of 30+ yards.

At the end of the day, the most important fact in your argument seems to be that Austin is a midget.

Seriously, which player would Baalke pick?

Comparing stats of a player that has played 1 year of Div 1 football to Austin's career is beyond the realms of stupidity.
[ Edited by SkyGod on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:02 AM ]
Austin is even smaller about 25 lbs lighter in build than this 49ers waste of a 2nd round midget draft pick...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000135103/Ravens-recover-fumble

You are reaching with this midget argument, but hey we all have our idiosyncrasies.

You want Patterson, a one year wonder, because he is bigger, and taller. The midget out performed him on the field, but size is what counts.

Go for it.
Good post, Buck.

I'd like to add that 1086 yards from scrimmage (778 receiving, 308 rushing) doesn't look too wonderful when you consider the following:

Of those 1086 yards, 486 yards (383 receiving, 103 rushing) came from 3 non-conference games vs. NC State, Georgia STATE & Troy (<== he racked up 230 yards in this one).

In his 8 SEC games, Patterson had only 375 receiving yards. Hardly the kind of production you'd like to see from the supposed "best wr" in the draft.
Comparing stats of a player that has played 1 year of Div 1 football to Austin's career is beyond the realms of stupidity.

If you can't see how seeing their stats side-by-side can aid in comparing the two players then I don't know what to say.

Tavon put himself in a position to produce at a high level for a major university for 4 years. He produced 3 seasons that were as good or better than Cordarrelle's one year of major college football. Look at the mileage Austin has racked up and the equity he has built. Look at all those yards and remember this kid never missed a practice in 4 years. There is something to be said for how consistent Austin has been.
[ Edited by kush on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:14 AM ]
Our interest is part of the SMOKESCREEN
Originally posted by kush:
If you can't see how seeing their stats side-by-side can aid in comparing the two players then I don't know what to say.

Tavon put himself in a position to produce at a high level for a major university for 4 years. He produced 3 seasons that were as good or better than Cordarrelle's one year of major college football. Look at the mileage Austin has racked up and the equity he has built. Look at all those yards and remember this kid never missed a practice in 4 years. There is something to be said for how consistent Austin has been.

You are fooling yourself if you think 5'8 175lbs Austin is going to walk into the NFL and tear it up against the big boys he's going to get rocked.

As someone else said they wouldn't touch this guy with a 10 foot pole.

I'll double that I wouldn't touch this combine wonder midget with a 20 foot pole.

Seriously seriously doubt the 49ers draft a diminutive slot receiver in the 1st round. Future commodities wideout Patterson & TE Eifert are by far the better fits for the 49ers offence.

Agree to disagree don't want Austin.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
I don't see what this would accomplish.

Now Tennessee is going to take him instead of Carolina because the team picking #31 is interested in him? Maybe we want to inflate his stock so another receiver we like drops to us? What do you think.

This ^ thinking the same thing...and the 49ers do not draft every player in for invites.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Baalke, and many other general managers, has made it clear that he studies the players over the length of the player's career.

If you compare Austin and Patterson over their careers, those are the stats you get.

They do not raise any red flags about Austin.

The only knock on Austin is that he is a midget, and your insistence that his size is the critical factor in analyzing his game and his potential might enter into the world beyond idiocy to use your frame of reference.

Patterson's lack of playing time raises, whether you wish to admit it or not, red flags.

He looks like a one year wonder. Is that a valid perception?

Why did he have such a short career at the university level?
[ Edited by buck on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:34 AM ]

aldon in '11
jenkins in '12

niners aren't taking the popular pick...just a hunch

i wonder if the niners will expand lamichael james role into him lining up both in backfield and in the slot as a wr
Baalke, and many other general managers, has made it clear that he studies the players over the length of the player's career.

If you compare Austin and Patterson over their careers, those are the stats you get.

They do not raise any red flags about Austin.

The only knock on Austin is that he is a midget, and your insistence that his size is the critical factor in analyzing his game and his potential might enter into the world beyond idiocy to use your frame of reference.

Patterson's lack of playing time raises, whether you wish to admit it or not, red flags.

He looks like a one year wonder. Is that a valid perception?

Why did he have such a short career at the university level?

we are not taking a WR in the 1st or the 2nd, you guys are hilarious, wake up from your Pipe Dreams
Originally posted by kush:

You are fooling yourself if you think 5'8 175lbs Austin is going to walk into the NFL and tear it up against the big boys he's going to get rocked.

As someone else said they wouldn't touch this guy with a 10 foot pole.

I'll double that I wouldn't touch this combine wonder midget with a 20 foot pole.

Seriously seriously doubt the 49ers draft a diminutive slot receiver in the 1st round. Future commodities wideout Patterson & TE Eifert are by far the better fits for the 49ers offence.

Agree to disagree don't want Austin.
I never said Tavon is going to "walk into the NFL and tear it up against the big boys", but now that you mention it, that's exactly what I think he'll do. If he lands on our team or another team with similarly talented players and coaches he is my favorite to be OROY. He will likeley get rocked a couple times, but I am not too worried about it. He's a tough guy and he is very good at avoiding big hits (much like CK is). He has 4 years of injury-free division 1 football to his name.

What the f**k does touching guys with poles have to do with the NFL Draft? I wouldn't touch any guy with any pole, whether 10, 20 or 100 feet long.
First off, I'm just saying that I don't think the Niners take him or even attempt to move up for him.

With that said, I think it is absolutely RIDICULOUS that some people on here only argues that his size is why he won't be good. Calling him a "midget", IMO, is very ignorant, considering how well this kid played throughout his college career at receiver AND at running back.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
we are not taking a WR in the 1st or the 2nd, you guys are hilarious, wake up from your Pipe Dreams

It seems to me Baalke has positioned himself to take the BPA. We may not take a WR, but you need to wake up from your dreams if you think Baalke plans ahead what position he is going to take in each round. How can we possibly know why will be on the board at #31. What if every 1-2 rd DLineman is scooped up and Tavon Austin, Cordarrell Patterson, Keenan Allen and DeAndre Hopkins are all on the board?
Share 49ersWebzone