LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Tavon Austin in the 1st

Originally posted by AmpLee:
Yes, gaping hole. Williams and James are OKAY at returning kicks. Neither is a good consideration at returning punts IMO. A KR/PR of Tavon's caliber is vastly different that the guys currently on our roster. I don't take that position lightly and I'd be surprised if the Niners didn't address that in the draft whether it be Austin or a similar player in later rounds.

Which is exactly my point. Although I disagree that we have a "gaping hole" on special teams, even if we did that doesn't justify using a high pick on a guy that is pretty much only going to be used for that purpose.

Again, any WR we draft is going to have a tough time getting on the field this year. Unless there is a "can't miss" prospect like Megatron, Fitz, or Julio Jones, we're just needlessly wasting a draft pick.
[ Edited by baltien on Mar 27, 2013 at 7:08 PM ]
Originally posted by AmpLee:
And I disagree with you there completely. Tavon would be all over the field with his skill-set. We currently have no burner, even the one's with a serious knee injury to overcome, to stretch the field. Tavon would be used all over the place for mismatch nightmares and to stretch the field in the deep game. He would be much more than a player used solely in the return game.

Fair enough. We'll see what happens in the draft.
I would also like to point out that we might already have a couple burners in Jenkins and Lockette. Yes, I know people are skeptical, but it's possible. And, we already have an incredibly fast little guy who makes guys swing at air in the open field in LaMichael James, who is very much like a Darren Sproles only a lot faster. They really haven't explored all their options with james yet.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by baltien:
All sarcasm aside, your post underscores my overall point:

Austin is a luxury pick.

What we NEED RIGHT NOW is a safety and d-line depth. Having a receiver with Austin's skill set is nice, but it isn't a necessity at this point.

All obvious-ness aside, we have 14 draft picks.

This years draft has about 4-7 starting calibre safeties.
As for D-Line depth....We have Glenn Dorsey and Demarcus Dobbs behind Smith and McDonald. That is good depth to start with and can be added to using mid-lower round picks (this years class happens to be deep at this position as well). They won't draft a NT in the First Round either because they no longer value that position as much as in the past..
The team seldom played Base 3-4 (using a NT) this season and the proof of this can be seen in the fact they let both Sopoaga and RJF walk without even a sniff.
Ian Williams was re-signed for a reason...We can draft guys in rounds 3-5 that can push him or supplant him as a "starting" Nose Tackle (whatever THAT means at this juncture..)

This team fell 5 yards shy of the big one. There isn't many NEEDS on this team. And when you consider the fact we may be down THREE wide receivers after this season, that turns this "luxury" into a future commodity.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Already posted that the 40 combine times were broken down frame by frame Cordarrelle Patterson & Tavon Austin were timed in a dead heat at 4.30.

Patterson is 5-6 inches taller 40 lbs heavier can return kicks and is a more valuable wideout receiver that's why he is the consensus #1 ranked WR in the draft.

If the 49ers trade up for a receiver Patterson is the better pick we don't need a midget size slot receiver.

I like Patterson too and think he'll be the first WR chosen. With that said, I don't think they should reach too high for him because he'll likely be gone by #12.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
I would loooove to draft him, but most likely the Rams will select him.
Niners not picking a WR with their first pick.

/thread.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Already posted that the 40 combine times were broken down frame by frame Cordarrelle Patterson & Tavon Austin were timed in a dead heat at 4.30.

Patterson is 5-6 inches taller 40 lbs heavier can return kicks and is a more valuable wideout receiver that's why he is the consensus #1 ranked WR in the draft.

If the 49ers trade up for a receiver Patterson is the better pick we don't need a midget size slot receiver.

OK, Patterson is taller, heavier, and just as fast.

Austin is a midget.

Patterson is a one year wonder.

Austin played in 52 games.
Patterson played in 12 games.

But, who has been a better football player. Here are some different numbers.

Receiving
Patterson 46 778 yards 5 scores
Austin 288 3413 yards 29 scores

Rushing
Patterson 25 323 yards 3 scores
Austin 109 1031 yards 6 scores

Punt returns
Patterson 4 101 yards 1 score
Austin 34 433 yards 1 score

Kick returns
Patterson 24 671 yards 1 score
Austin 97 2407 yards 4 scores

In 2011, Austin was 3rd in the nation with in long plays with 45 plays of 30+ yards
In 2012, Austin was 1st in the nation in long plays with 73 plays of 30+ yards.

In 2112, Patterson was 14th in the nation in long plays with 38 plays of 30+ yards.

At the end of the day, the most important fact in your argument seems to be that Austin is a midget.

Seriously, which player would Baalke pick?
Eric Reid will be the safety we draft, either at 31 or 34. Either way he will be a 9er
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

OK, Patterson is taller, heavier, and just as fast.

Austin is a midget.

Patterson is a one year wonder.

Austin played in 52 games.
Patterson played in 12 games.

But, who has been a better football player. Here are some different numbers.

Receiving
Patterson 46 778 yards 5 scores
Austin 288 3413 yards 29 scores

Rushing
Patterson 25 323 yards 3 scores
Austin 109 1031 yards 6 scores

Punt returns
Patterson 4 101 yards 1 score
Austin 34 433 yards 1 score

Kick returns
Patterson 24 671 yards 1 score
Austin 97 2407 yards 4 scores

In 2011, Austin was 3rd in the nation with in long plays with 45 plays of 30+ yards
In 2012, Austin was 1st in the nation in long plays with 73 plays of 30+ yards.

In 2112, Patterson was 14th in the nation in long plays with 38 plays of 30+ yards.

At the end of the day, the most important fact in your argument seems to be that Austin is a midget.

Seriously, which player would Baalke pick?

i wonder if 'mini me' can kick both their asses?

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Eric Reid will be the safety we draft, either at 31 or 34. Either way he will be a 9er

Datone Jones at 31.
Eric Reid at 34.

I see HarBaalke trading the late 2nd round pick to get a 1st rounder next year, or more picks in this draft's 3rd round. In any case, I see the next pick as BPA at cornerback.
NO! No more short guys! Please oh please, REDZONE targets..
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

Bolding, Crabtree, Davis? Speed guys are necessary 2 bro
Everyone that doesn't want him is straight crazy and maybe never seen him play. Yeah he's small, but he never missed a game let alone practice. So the argument that his size is more prone to injury is irrelevant at this point and the last time I checked players of all sizes gets injured and is prone to it by playing football period. Long story short, this "midget" dominated college football, is a threat to score anytime he touches the ball whether it be as a returner (which we need) from the backfield or as a deep threat at receiver which we also need. He's a Barry Sanders playing receiver and my favorite player in the draft by far. I'd even go as far as saying our offense would be the scariest in the NFL to face with him.
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

Austin is even smaller about 25 lbs lighter in build than this 49ers waste of a 2nd round midget draft pick...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000135103/Ravens-recover-fumble
Share 49ersWebzone