There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tavon Austin in the 1st

Originally posted by 49erRider:
You don't beat size with size.

If you want someone who will beat Seattle's big DBs, you burn them with speed.

I agree with this. I would also add that they need some multiple receiver sets. Those two big corners can only guard two guys. And, if a receiver is quick and shifty enough, they might not be able to get their hands on him to hold the way they tend to do.

I guess I'm just kind of stuck on the reality that it was defense that let the team down in the playoffs and I want them to fix that.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Gawd, I want the Niners to trade up for Tavon. I completely agree that you neutralize size with speed. Not only would this guy solve our KR/PR needs, he could line up all over the place and create mismatches. While I think defense should be the focal point of the draft, I think Tavon will be a superstar in this league and if he is there at 20 we should trade up without hesitation.
Originally posted by SaksV:
Manningham won't be full strength until mid-October. Williams just started running yesterday afternoon. Jenkins we still have to wait and see.

We have nobody to play the slot position that allows us to keep the safety occupied.
Last season we had Manningham and Moss play outside with Crabs in the slot and that had mild success but everyone knows Crabs is an outside guy majority of the time... Austin brings immediate impact on special teams and provides us with a dynamic slot receiver that will have success in this pass-happy league. When Manningham works his way back, he'll split a bit of time with Boldin. I really don't see the problem with this especially when you figure the fact that Williams, Manningham and Boldin will be free agents after 2013. If for some crazy reason we don't bring all three back, we still have an outside/inside presence in Crabtree, Austin and possibly Jenkins with cap space to sign a bigger body.

All sarcasm aside, your post underscores my overall point:

Austin is a luxury pick.

What we NEED RIGHT NOW is a safety and d-line depth. Having a receiver with Austin's skill set is nice, but it isn't a necessity at this point.
[ Edited by baltien on Mar 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by baltien:

Austin is a luxury pick.

What we NEED RIGHT NOW is a safety and d-line depth. Having a receiver with Austin's skill set is nice, but it isn't a necessity at this point.

Would getting Austin automatically preclude us from getting a safety and d-line help?

I think not.

Bottom line, I think Baalke and Harbaugh will be able to figure out how to best use this draft.
Y'all have changed my mind forever lets trade everything for tha midget he's our Ricky Williams ...An besides he'll be tha first 49er player I can't wait to see get smashed N break into a million midget parts ....

Austin is a luxury pick.

There is plenty of depth in this years safetys and d-line group. Austin has rare talent that could add another dimension.
Originally posted by buck:
Would getting Austin automatically preclude us from getting a safety and d-line help?

I think not.

Bottom line, I think Baalke and Harbaugh will be able to figure out how to best use this draft.

Well, no of course not. But using a high pick on a projected slot guy when it could be used to draft a starting safety doesn't make sense IMO. Again, Austin is a luxury and not a necessity. But the longer we wait to address our needs the greater the likelihood that we won't be able to.

I'd much rather is grab a starting quality FS in the first round vs. us grabbing one in the third or fourth and hoping he pans out.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by buck:

I think not.

Well, no of course not. But using a high pick on a projected slot guy when it could be used to draft a starting safety doesn't make sense IMO. Again, Austin is a luxury and not a necessity. But the longer we wait to address our needs the greater the likelihood that we won't be able to.

I'd much rather is grab a starting quality FS in the first round vs. us grabbing one in the third or fourth and hoping he pans out.

Austin is more than a mere slot guy. We have a gaping hole at PR/KR that he would fill. And in our offense he would line up all over the field. He would be a slot guy as well as lining up behind Kaep in the Pistol. Again, he is tailor-made for our type of offense. There is a deep safety class and we could easily keep 34 and grab the best available S there to start right away.
Ummm No thank you! He's 5-9 on a good day with pretty awesome speed but you don't give up 3 draft picks unless he's Julio Jones-esque. Offense is not an area of concern. Give jenkins a shot for 1 more year.

Niners first 3 picks will be DL, FS, TE (not in that order)
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Austin is more than a mere slot guy. We have a gaping hole at PR/KR that he would fill. And in our offense he would line up all over the field. He would be a slot guy as well as lining up behind Kaep in the Pistol. Again, he is tailor-made for our type of offense. There is a deep safety class and we could easily keep 34 and grab the best available S there to start right away.

"Gaping hole" at KR/PR?

Guys that can return kicks are a dime a dozen, especially with the new rules. Tell me, what does Austin bring to the table on special teams that LMJ doesn't that justifies being drafted in the first round?
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame

"Gaping hole" at KR/PR?

Guys that can return kicks are a dime a dozen, especially with the new rules. Tell me, what does Austin bring to the table on special teams that LMJ doesn't that justifies being drafted in the first round?

Yes, gaping hole. Williams and James are OKAY at returning kicks. Neither is a good consideration at returning punts IMO. A KR/PR of Tavon's caliber is vastly different that the guys currently on our roster. I don't take that position lightly and I'd be surprised if the Niners didn't address that in the draft whether it be Austin or a similar player in later rounds.
Already posted that the 40 combine times were broken down frame by frame Cordarrelle Patterson & Tavon Austin were timed in a dead heat at 4.30.

Patterson is 5-6 inches taller 40 lbs heavier can return kicks and is a more valuable wideout receiver that's why he is the consensus #1 ranked WR in the draft.

If the 49ers trade up for a receiver Patterson is the better pick we don't need a midget size slot receiver.
Yes, gaping hole. Williams and James are OKAY at returning kicks. Neither is a good consideration at returning punts IMO. A KR/PR of Tavon's caliber is vastly different that the guys currently on our roster. I don't take that position lightly and I'd be surprised if the Niners didn't address that in the draft whether it be Austin or a similar player in later rounds.

Which is exactly my point. Although I disagree that we have a "gaping hole" on special teams, even if we did that doesn't justify using a high pick on a guy that is pretty much only going to be used for that purpose.

Again, any WR we draft is going to have a tough time getting on the field this year. Unless there is a "can't miss" prospect like Megatron, Fitz, or Julio Jones, we're just needlessly wasting a draft pick.
[ Edited by baltien on Mar 27, 2013 at 7:08 PM ]
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame

Which is exactly my point. Although I disagree that we have a "gaping hole" on special teams, even if we did that doesn't justify using a high pick on a guy that is pretty much only going to be used for that purpose.

Again, any WR we draft is going to have a tough time getting on the field this year. Unless there is a "can't miss" prospect like Megatron, Fitz, or Julio Jones, we're just needlessly wasting a draft pick.

And I disagree with you there completely. Tavon would be all over the field with his skill-set. We currently have no burner, even the one's with a serious knee injury to overcome, to stretch the field. Tavon would be used all over the place for mismatch nightmares and to stretch the field in the deep game. He would be much more than a player used solely in the return game.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Already posted that the 40 combine times were broken down frame by frame Cordarrelle Patterson & Tavon Austin were timed in a dead heat at 4.30.

Patterson is 5-6 inches taller 40 lbs heavier can return kicks and is a more valuable wideout receiver that's why he is the consensus #1 ranked WR in the draft.

If the 49ers trade up for a receiver Patterson is the better pick we don't need a midget size slot receiver.

Austin might be the most dynamic player I've seen in the open field since Barry Sanders. I don't know how one can watch his tape and not come away drooling at the prospect of getting him the ball in open spaces.