There are 242 users in the forums

Ambitious Mock Draft

Well, this is my first post, first thread, and only mock of the off season (I mostly enjoy reading all of yours). To start out, let me say I love Baalke... I hated the Aldon Smith choice and that worked out great; that is why I am sitting on my couch in Indiana and he is in the war room in San Francisco. However, I would love to see some of the following things done. Love to hear your comments. By the way, I made this a week ago when I joined the forum, but rules said I couldn't post a thread until now. I have amended since.

Free Agency:

We have lost/ will lose each of the following: Dashon Goldson, Ted Ginn Jr., Randy Moss, Isaac Sopoaga, Delanie Walker, David Akers, Parys Haralson, RJF

We have added/ will add each of the following: Boldin, Dorsey, maybe a Lawrence Tynes, a veteran CB and S, and WR all from free agency.

After reading "Revenge of the Nerds" article by Sando, I come to realize that we cannot extend all of our good players. Thankfully, we have the curse of too much talent – too many good players each needing to be extended at some point or another. If we would've paid Goldson or Walker (overpaying), it may have been at the expense of an extension for Iupati, A. Davis, Crabtree, Kaepernick, or T. Brown. Already, we have the most expensive defense. We must save money to sustain what looks to be one of the best offenses for the next five or ten years – namely our offensive line. I'd love to see us extend Iupati or Davis ala a Staley deal ensuring that they are around for a long time.

49ers' Draft:

Problem: we have so many picks with an already deep team; few of the players (if we use all 14 picks) will make the team.

Blessing: we have so many picks with an already deep team; trade up (2013) and trade back (to 2014).

Trade A: Receive Round 1 (#12) from Miami; Give up Picks #31, #61, #93, Round 6 (#12)

Trade B: Receive Round 2 (#57) from Houston; Give up Picks #74, Round 4 (#31)

Trade C: Receive 2014 Round 4 Pick Pittsburgh; Give up Round 5 (#24)

Trade D: Receive 2014 Round 4 Pick Oakland; Give up 5 (#31), 7 (#21)

Results in the following picks for 2013:

Round 1: #12 Star Lotulelei Utah

We have the picks, we have the need, do we have the balls to pull the trigger? Of course, this pick is contingent on Lotulelei being healthy, but there are so many reasons to love SL. It fills a need: we lose both of our nose tackles to free agency. We have the picks: 14 picks with only maybe 6 making the squad (trade up!). We have already invested tons of money into our interior linebackers; what better way to free them up for the next several years than to get SL. High character, mean side, takes on blockers, opens things up for other defenders.

Round 2: #34 Matt Elam Florida

Besides needing a little improvement on coverage, the guy is a beast. Hits as hard as Goldson, great against the run, fast as hell, ranges the field quite well, can cover tight ends and wide receivers giving Fangio greater flexibility. I don't know anything about his character, but it seems he is a Baalke kind of guy.

Round 2 # 57 Jamar Taylor Boise State

More defense! I'd be thrilled if he fell this far. The guy is an athlete, just ran a great 40 time. I think we primarily bring him in to bring more competition for Rogers, Brown, and Culliver (possibly a veteran CB we pick up). If at the end of spring training he can break into the starting lineup, then maybe we can cut Rogers and save some money.

Round 4: Conditional Pick Michael Williams Alabama

Blocking type of tight end, just what Harbaugh likes. Again, from an SEC conference, which is typical of Baalke.

Round 5: Conditional Pick Ryan Swope Texas A&M

Waiting to draft a wide receiver until this late is hoping… hoping that Manningham gets healthy, hoping that Jenkins performs, hoping that Swope has more than 5th round talent, hoping that free agency brings us a surprise. We need more than two play-making wide receivers – Crabtree and Boldin.

Round 7: 7 (#31) BPA

Round 7: Conditional Pick BPA

End result: we set ourselves up very well for next year as far as the number of picks we'll have – potentially 12 or 13 2014 picks with conditional picks losing Goldson and Walker. We fill needs at NT, S, CB, and K. We don't waste future cap space with big burdensome contracts for a Revis or someone like him. And we keep the core together for what should've been the 2012 season's Super Bowl team.
nothing has been reported about losing Parys
speculating on Parys.
parys still on the squad buddy. He should be cut tho
Rather have all picks til 4th round we can get alot help on defense an for free agents to be like brown whitner N others plus we need a kicker I don't know how or why kickers started getting pay a few million per yr just crazy in my eyes ..
Where at in Indiana? Purdue or IU fan?
Nice try, but the real value in this draft will be between picks 20 and 70. I want as many picks in that range as possible. Trading up for Star is just not a good idea. He's either healthy or he isn't. If he is, he's a top 5 pick IMO and out of reach. If he isn't, he isn't worth trading up for.

FYI I am Utah alum, so I'm a big fan of Star. It's just not going to happen unless he falls to 31.
One of the best drafts I've seen on here by far. I'm glad you're thinking smart and for yourself, unlike most on here. It fills two big holes on Defense. Star has been and will be the best talent in this draft. Great trade ups and future trades. Some of the later picks(Swope and Comp in the fifth) aren't going to happen, but the first 3 picks are perfect. Jamar Taylor gets no love, but he is ridiculously good. Elam isn't my favorite safety, but he is very good as well and could play week 1 if needed. And the Star pick is the best of all. Getting a Haloti Ngata type of NT is exactly what our D needs.
The Niners don't need to trade away four picks this year just to get into the top 15, especially for a guy who has a potentially dangerous heart condition. The draft is not that top heavy on talent this year.

Like the first three picks from a position standpoint.

P.S. Ryan Swope won't last past the end of the third round after running a 4.3 at the Combine.

Round 2: #34 Matt Elam Florida

Besides needing a little improvement on coverage, the guy is a beast. Hits as hard as Goldson, great against the run, fast as hell, ranges the field quite well, can cover tight ends and wide receivers giving Fangio greater flexibility. I don't know anything about his character, but it seems he is a Baalke kind of guy.

I dont understand this statement
[ Edited by NinerFan408 on Mar 15, 2013 at 12:32 PM ]

I hope this doesn't happen and I hope we sign Payrs,
I imagine Star can play in a 3-4 but I think it would kind of be a waste of his talents. He's much more suited for a 4-3 like Suh is.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Star going #1 overall lol
"I don't know anything about his character, but it seems he is a Baalke kind of guy."

character: is he gonna be a train wreck like harvin has been and hopefully will be. florida has churned out some high character guys like tebow and some bad ones like harvin. so, as I am not an SEC fan i have no idea what attitude guy we are going to get. having said that, baalke likes SEC players, likes great tacklers, likes speed -- all of which elam has.

as to other comments:

originally from southern illinois (always go to the niner game in st. louis), but i attended purdue. not a boilermaker in spirit though.

star going #1?! even if he gets cleared, would a team want to invest #1 money in a guy that has that on his health report. i think the talk alone drives him down the draft board... i am just hoping past 10 or 12.
No reason to trade up to get a versatile "big"...my personal fave is Sly Williams, who can play anywhere on the DL, has size and is very quick. Love Elam at #34 and am down w/Taylor at #57. By not trading up, Baalke would still have 3 more picks in 1st 3 rds...that can net some terrific talent. One guy I hope they pull the trigger on is WR Marcus Davis...big, talented receiver who could in essence replace Walker. He ran a 4.45 X 40 and is 6-4 and over 230 lbs. Other possibilities are OLB and a swing OT.
Share 49ersWebzone