There are 154 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We will not be drafting a NT high

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 60sfan:
I disagree with taking a wide receiver first, including Tavon. This, draft is pretty deep all the way into the 3rd round. It is my opinion that Balke/Harbaugh feel that a good NT can be made and will not select a NT in the 1st or 2nd round, probably not until the 4th. Star is the only exception because he will be a beast anywhere on the line and he should be good from the get go.

Predicting what Baalke will do is not easy.

I still think it is the best player available at a position of need.

No quarterback will be drafted in the first three rounds. No offensive linemen in the first three rounds. No kicker in the first three rounds.

Other than that, who knows--and we will see. Can't wait for free agency to end and the draft to start.
Originally posted by buck:
I disagree with taking a wide receiver first, including Tavon. This, draft is pretty deep all the way into the 3rd round. It is my opinion that Balke/Harbaugh feel that a good NT can be made and will not select a NT in the 1st or 2nd round, probably not until the 4th. Star is the only exception because he will be a beast anywhere on the line and he should be good from the get go.

No quarterback will be drafted in the first three rounds. No offensive linemen in the first three rounds. No kicker in the first three rounds.

Other than that, who knows--and we will see. Can't wait for free agency to end and the draft to start.

Predicting is what makes the Zone fun. The Draft should be a blast.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Yes, it has been fun.

The ugly part comes when Baalke does not pick the "right" guy.

This and this. Boy it is fun to be a 49ers fan. Just 2 years ago we were all complaining about how bad out team and coaches were. The the times changed quickly. I hope this lasts for a long time. Harbaalke til death do us part.
ray mac, dorsey and cowboy start. williams, tuk and dobbs are the back ups? plus they have that other guy on the ps, i'm not sure they use a pick here unless it's moving up and getting someone that will be an impact player replacement for smith in a couple years.

One guy that has caught my attention is TJ Barnes of Georgia Tech. He is one big motherblocker. He goes about 6'6" and 365 pounds. Huge, massive mountain of a man, very raw, needs to be coached up but can develop into a very nice space eater, occupying multiple blockers due to his immense size. He'll be a late round pick and could be a nice addition as depth to be developed. He could be had in the 5th round.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
There are still numerous options in free agency out there for the team, but most guys are temporary fill-in types, not long-term solutions. Guys probably getting a long look include Alan Branch of Seattle, and Sione Po'uha of the Jets, who might be the best of the bunch. Baalke has played Russian Roulette a few times and gotten away with it (the long wait before signing CB Carlos Rogers in 2011 actually paid off; but not signing Goldson to a long term deal two years ago might not in the end), but at some point, it is not going to go well.

The team is rarely aggressive early in free agency, so we will have to see which bargain bin guys we pick up.

Branch might make some sense as he is familiar with the Seahawks. :)
  • kush
  • Veteran

I agree with everything in this post except I wouldn't hesitate to take an OT in the 2nd or 3rd to develop into our top backup. I know Boone can kick out in an emergency but I prefer to let him focus purely on Guard for the time being.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
One guy that has caught my attention is TJ Barnes of Georgia Tech. He is one big motherblocker. He goes about 6'6" and 365 pounds. Huge, massive mountain of a man, very raw, needs to be coached up but can develop into a very nice space eater, occupying multiple blockers due to his immense size. He'll be a late round pick and could be a nice addition as depth to be developed. He could be had in the 5th round.

huge ass mofo!
Originally posted by gold49digger:

huge ass mofo!

I like Brandon Williams from MSSU
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
If Jonathan Banks can't be had at the 31st pick then I hope we take Jesse Williams. Some think of him as a DE in a 3-4, I think hes more of a NT. He was a rock to move in the middle at Alabama.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
We had a big NT last year and he played barely any snaps. This may be a signal that Fangio wants to run more of a hybrid system with a more versatile NT. Dorsey's strength is against the run so I wouldn't be shocked if he's strong enough to hold the middle.

I agree. Plus he can stay in the rotation when they are in the nickle. Sopoaga never played in the nickle.

This is key. I think the fact that he can spell both Smith and McDonald when they are in Nickel is huge. My guess is that we'll see a lot less of Justin in these situations which are harder on your body. The closer a d-lineman gets to the center the more physical it gets.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:

huge ass mofo!

This guy and J. Jenkins for immediate depth/future starters... DAMN!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kush:

I agree with everything in this post except I wouldn't hesitate to take an OT in the 2nd or 3rd to develop into our top backup. I know Boone can kick out in an emergency but I prefer to let him focus purely on Guard for the time being.

hmn, good point on the need for a swing tackle.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
I like Brandon Williams from MSSU

Can't compare a guy that's a likely 5th/6th rounder vs a guy firmly entrenched in the 2nd round. I specifically mentioned Barnes as a value pick late in the draft if the 49ers neglect the position earlier on. Obviously I'd love to have Brandon Williams in the 2nd round, but if not, Barnes seems like a nice consolation prize to develop for a couple of years.