There are 156 users in the forums

We will not be drafting a NT high

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Pasted from a Niner Talk thread, my thoughts on what this draft taught us about NT:

I think the 49ers have communicated loud and clear something that at least 75% of the fan base is still reluctant to accept: They see a stout 300-310 lb guy as the prototype NT for the system they want to run. They gave Ian Williams an extension somewhat unexpectedly. Then they signed a former blue-chipper in Dorsey and promptly announced their intention to use him in a way he hasn't been used yet, at NT.

Then they passed on glaringly obvious NT prospects like Jesse Williams and Brandon Williams in favor of a total luxury pick, Corey Lemonier, who has no clear path to a starting role with Brooks and Aldon both entrenched in long-term deals.

In other words, I challenge your underlying premise that the 49ers "have to deal" with the NT position. Even if that's your opinion, I think even you would have to concede at this point that Baalke et al don't share it.

I had a different opinion, but it sure looks like you are right. Good job.

Just to clarify, this was my analysis after the draft. I didn't have the foresight to predict that the team would ignore NT in the draft. In fact I thought for sure they would scoop up Jesse Williams as he was plummeting.

Another thing I would add is that a lot of Zoners are projected Dial as a 5-tech, but when Harbaugh was asked about his position in a post-draft press conference, he said, "he'll play tackle."
Just to clarify, this was my analysis after the draft. I didn't have the foresight to predict that the team would ignore NT in the draft. In fact I thought for sure they would scoop up Jesse Williams as he was plummeting.

Another thing I would add is that a lot of Zoners are projected Dial as a 5-tech, but when Harbaugh was asked about his position in a post-draft press conference, he said, "he'll play tackle."

Ahhh,..now I'm disappointed! Quite a few people said they would not draft a NT high, but I thought they were nuts!
I also thought they'd grab Jesse Williams early.

Glad they didn't listen to me.

Our coaches/FO definitely have a plan in place.

Dial has the length to keep off blocks. He lined up at 0 tec rotationally at Bama. When hes on center he doesn't rush but I think he can 2 gap the center and keep the middle clean.

I think thats what Fangio is looking for. A stout clogger that can keep thing clear for the LBs. Im not trying to brag but I knew Jesse Williams was hype.
[ Edited by eonblue on Jun 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM ]
His injuries must have been a bigger impact than I thought. And I guess he was over-rated too.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
His injuries must have been a bigger impact than I thought. And I guess he was over-rated too.

The injury issues absolutely buried him, he's light in the legs and a history of knee injuries really knocked him down team's draft boards according to various talking heads reviewing the draft. He could end to be quite a steal for Seattle if healthy, but based on everything that's been reported, that is a BIG if indeed.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The injury issues absolutely buried him, he's light in the legs and a history of knee injuries really knocked him down team's draft boards according to various talking heads reviewing the draft. He could end to be quite a steal for Seattle if healthy, but based on everything that's been reported, that is a BIG if indeed.

Yea I don't think he had the base to work in the middle. He really looked like he was carrying to much weight for his bones. I enjoyed watching him at Bama. I'm sure Seattle can make something happen with him. Injuries and physique can be worked on by good doctors and coaches.

I'm most interested to see how Hunt will do. The Bengals have had good success on their dline lately.
[ Edited by eonblue on Jun 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM ]
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I also thought they'd grab Jesse Williams early.

Glad they didn't listen to me.

Our coaches/FO definitely have a plan in place.

lol, this, Baalke >>>
Originally posted by 60sfan:
With Dorsey and Boldin on board and inking Ian Williams to an extension, looks like we will focus our high draft choices on DE and DB's. Might even trade up to get someone. Any thoughts? How does it change your mocks?

Nailed it
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Originally posted by 60sfan:
With Dorsey and Boldin on board and inking Ian Williams to an extension, looks like we will focus our high draft choices on DE and DB's. Might even trade up to get someone. Any thoughts? How does it change your mocks?

Nailed it

No mention of a TE...

Although this thread is from last year's draft season, I find it interesting that Baalke still does not put much priority in drafting NT's.
[ Edited by 60sFan on May 12, 2014 at 8:24 PM ]
We do have Dorsey, Williams and Dial so no need for one. Plus they only play 35-50% of the time and also not many NT have come in and made an impact as a rookie. Very few in the last 10-20 years have. Most of the top NT are older vets; you usually have to develop them. Easier to sign one than draft one and if you do draft one unless there is a Wilfork type player out there which is rare you can probably get one in the mid to late rounds.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
We do have Dorsey, Williams and Dial so no need for one. Plus they only play 35-50% of the time and also not many NT have come in and made an impact as a rookie. Very few in the last 10-20 years have. Most of the top NT are older vets; you usually have to develop them. Easier to sign one than draft one and if you do draft one unless there is a Wilfork type player out there which is rare you can probably get one in the mid to late rounds.

Or you can just pick up an UDFA. Hooray, Ian Williams!
Share 49ersWebzone