There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We will not be drafting a NT high

With Dorsey and Boldin on board and inking Ian Williams to an extension, looks like we will focus our high draft choices on DE and DB's. Might even trade up to get someone. Any thoughts? How does it change your mocks?
Originally posted by 60sfan:
With Dorsey and Boldin on board and inking Ian Williams to an extension, looks like we will focus our high draft choices on DE and DB's. Might even trade up to get someone. Any thoughts? How does it change your mocks?

Taking Jesse Williams out of my mock. Start with Datone Jones or Kawann Short or Sheldon Richardson. Then focus on DBs and receiving options (we only have three proven and healthy, in Cratbree, Boldin, and Vernon).

Jones, Ertz, Da'Rick, Rambo, Mathieu.
Only thing is Dorsey played DE in kc 3-4 so not to sure about not drafting a DT maybe mid round B.Williams or M.Hughes
Dorsey is a 5 technique isnt he? I dont believe that affects our need for a NT
Dorsey will take Isaac's spot in the base D, but he has more versatility and talent than Isaac to move around in the nickel, etc.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/03/13/49ers-plug-hole-in-middle-sign-glenn-dorsey/
Don't know a 6'1 297 NT kinda small to me I think it would be a bad idea not to draft a bigg NT/DT in tha draft
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Don't know a 6'1 297 NT kinda small to me I think it would be a bad idea not to draft a bigg NT/DT in tha draft

We had a big NT last year and he played barely any snaps. This may be a signal that Fangio wants to run more of a hybrid system with a more versatile NT. Dorsey's strength is against the run so I wouldn't be shocked if he's strong enough to hold the middle.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
We had a big NT last year and he played barely any snaps. This may be a signal that Fangio wants to run more of a hybrid system with a more versatile NT. Dorsey's strength is against the run so I wouldn't be shocked if he's strong enough to hold the middle.

I agree. Plus he can stay in the rotation when they are in the nickle. Sopoaga never played in the nickle.
[ Edited by 60sfan on Mar 13, 2013 at 2:41 PM ]
Will in 49ers we trust hope he works out
We shouldn't have been drafting a nt in the first 3 rounds anyways. Unless they were going to play more than 30% of the snaps than its waste. A NT has to be a dynamic pass rusher to garner an early pick. I want us to draft personnel that benefits our hybrid nickle. We need pass rush in this formation. I want a pass rushing de/olb that can rotate with smith/brooks and take some of the pressure off of them to get.to the passer. It would make the whole team stronger. A guy ljke demontre moore, alex okafor, margus hunt, tank carradine. Carradine and hunt could be developed into 3-4 end but in their first year they could offer pressure in the 4-3 hybrid on the edge.
Originally posted by eonblue:
We shouldn't have been drafting a nt in the first 3 rounds anyways. Unless they were going to play more than 30% of the snaps than its waste. A NT has to be a dynamic pass rusher to garner an early pick. I want us to draft personnel that benefits our hybrid nickle. We need pass rush in this formation. I want a pass rushing de/olb that can rotate with smith/brooks and take some of the pressure off of them to get.to the passer. It would make the whole team stronger. A guy ljke demontre moore, alex okafor, margus hunt, tank carradine. Carradine and hunt could be developed into 3-4 end but in their first year they could offer pressure in the 4-3 hybrid on the edge.

absolutely this............
We must have solid NT play. Don't get this 30% crap confused. Most teams, excluding the Patriots and Packers and Lions, do not run 3 WR sets 70% (edit) of the time. Our defense FORCES that number to go so low by constantly putting teams in second and third and long. If we don't have good NT play that number suddenly gets closer to 50% and our T.O.P drops, the defense (Justin) are on the field longer, playing even more snaps, and the teams we play are less predictable. Our entire defense is predicated on stuffing the run and forcing teams into predictability on the late downs. If we do not have quality NT play on 1st down, we are going to be playing our NT on second down, and possibly third.

That said, we don't NEED to draft a NT high, but if a guy like John Jenkins, Jonathan Hankins, or even Williams are available, the 49ers best be dam* sure that Dorsey can man the nose if they don't take them.
[ Edited by 2Legit2Quit on Mar 13, 2013 at 3:05 PM ]
Dorsey isn't a NT. NT is still high priority IMO
Originally posted by 60sfan:
With Dorsey and Boldin on board and inking Ian Williams to an extension, looks like we will focus our high draft choices on DE and DB's. Might even trade up to get someone. Any thoughts? How does it change your mocks?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I KNEW another one of these stupid threads would pop up..... just like the "we don't need to draft a WR high because we got Boldin".

b******t.

Baalke doesn't let FA influence the draft. He fills temporary gaps with FAs while drafting the best player available. Dorsey and Boldin are both short term stop-gaps so that we can field an experienced team without relying on rookies. Brilliant strategy.
With Ian Williams and Dorsey on board and Boldin for WR then we are closer to BPA for the draft. Baalke has enough draft picks to basically go after anyone he wants. So CB, DE, DT, NT, WR, TE, or even QB if that QB was the BPA and fit the teams needs. After FA it will be Baalkes call and he will get us the best players available to fill the teams needs.