LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

We will not be drafting a NT high

Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Don't know a 6'1 297 NT kinda small to me I think it would be a bad idea not to draft a bigg NT/DT in tha draft

We had a big NT last year and he played barely any snaps. This may be a signal that Fangio wants to run more of a hybrid system with a more versatile NT. Dorsey's strength is against the run so I wouldn't be shocked if he's strong enough to hold the middle.

Agree here. Not going to draft high or play top dollar to a guy who is only on the field 60% of the time. I think Ray Mac, Dorsey and Smith will see the majority of the snaps with Williams and another body seeing time during running downs. Dorsey played DT in college in a 4-3 scheme so while he is smallish, he isn't weak.
He was a Powerhouse in college and the "experts" thought he'd be the same in the pro's.

I'm not one of his biggest fans BUT w/our coaches he may really flourish. I really hope so.
Originally posted by Krabernick7:
Dorsey is a 5 technique isnt he? I dont believe that affects our need for a NT

Soap sucked at NT back when he first started out there in the Nolan years, then he was moved to DE after BY left, and when JH and Fangio came back Franklin left and Soap did a great job at NT.

Hell, McDonal wasn't even getting on the field before the current coaching staff arrived!

With that said, I think our coaches know how to teach a guy how to play the position they need him to play.
Originally posted by eonblue:
We shouldn't have been drafting a nt in the first 3 rounds anyways. Unless they were going to play more than 30% of the snaps than its waste. A NT has to be a dynamic pass rusher to garner an early pick. I want us to draft personnel that benefits our hybrid nickle. We need pass rush in this formation. I want a pass rushing de/olb that can rotate with smith/brooks and take some of the pressure off of them to get.to the passer. It would make the whole team stronger. A guy ljke demontre moore, alex okafor, margus hunt, tank carradine. Carradine and hunt could be developed into 3-4 end but in their first year they could offer pressure in the 4-3 hybrid on the edge.

Carradine is categorized as a 4-3 DE. Hunt is too light to play 3-4 DE unless he bulks up.

Neither Dorsey or Williams are your prototypical NT. Too light.

I do see a move to more of a hybrid defense.

But I would not rule out drafting a NT.
if we only use 1 of the early picks (31/34) on a Dlineman it needs to be Justin Smiths future replacement. Jones or Hunt
IMHO KC misused Dorsey...he played DT all through his LSU years and that's his natural position. He should be our starting NT, but I can also see him in the hybrid, lining up alongside Justin Smith. I still want to see Baalke draft a "big"...a guy who can play inside and out. Still like Sly Williams a lot...right size, athleticism and versatility.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Carradine is categorized as a 4-3 DE. Hunt is too light to play 3-4 DE unless he bulks up.

Neither Dorsey or Williams are your prototypical NT. Too light.

I do see a move to more of a hybrid defense.

But I would not rule out drafting a NT.

Justin Smith was 277 out of college. The same weight as hunt and carradine. They both have the same powerful hands and strong base.that makes justin effective. Most people acknowledge Hunt is a 3-4 de so I dont know what your talking about. The point of my post was by drafting.these guys you say our 4-3 ends we have fresh pass rushers in the nickle. Not only do we get prospective DE but we get rotation for OLB. Smith and Brooks play DE in the nickle. Carradine and Hunt could do the same. They gain valuable experience while bulking and learning how to play 3-4 de. Both are tenacious pass rushers so its a win-win.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
if we only use 1 of the early picks (31/34) on a Dlineman it needs to be Justin Smiths future replacement. Jones or Hunt

I agree.
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
Dorsey isn't a NT. NT is still high priority IMO

This. Dorsey is a 2 year contract, he has no bearing on the 49ers long term plans. It takes awhile to develop an NT and the 49ers needed some veteran depth to replace Soap and RJF. He's not going to have a huge role with this team, I think the 49ers still look to go with a quality NT to develop and turn into an eventually starter.

As far as the 30% of the time deal, Soap lost snaps because his performance went down, pure and simple. You're not going to play a guy who isn't effective, and Soap wasn't very effective. You find a quality NT and you may have him out on the field more often, especially if there are improvements in the secondary.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 13, 2013 at 4:55 PM ]
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

Yes lets draft old rookie hunt he'll need to be replaced in 5 yrs probably taken two yrs to develop ugh such a waste of a pick
[ Edited by tatdwolf49 on Mar 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM ]

Yes lets draft old rookie hunt he'll need to be replaced in 5 yrs probably taken two yrs to develop ugh such a waste of a pick

Hes 25. He'll need to be replaced at 30? Guess thats the shelf life of a DE and Justin smith, 33, is an oddity. Hunt could easily play to 35 he's in such good shape and his body has basically no damage on it. Good assessment though.
Originally posted by eonblue:

Hes 25. He'll need to be replaced at 30? Guess thats the shelf life of a DE and Justin smith, 33, is an oddity. Hunt could easily play to 35 he's in such good shape and his body has basically no damage on it. Good assessment though.

I read hes 26 N he is raw full of blah blah blah it will take l atleast 2 maybe 3 til it shows don't wanna pay a 2nd bigg contact to a 31+ yr old N before people say will cowboy was 28 when we signed him remember he came with NFL experience

Pierce Holt was a 26 year old rookie DE for the niners who played very effectively till he was 33. Even had 10 1/2 sacks in his 2nd year. Older rookies learn faster and live a cleaner life generally. Hunt is a serious athelete who is mature. Should be effective pretty quick.
Originally posted by 60sfan:

Pierce Holt was a 26 year old rookie DE for the niners who played very effectively till he was 33. Even had 10 1/2 sacks in his 2nd year. Older rookies learn faster and live a cleaner life generally. Hunt is a serious athelete who is mature. Should be effective pretty quick.

A different time different kinda kids now of days ...
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 60sfan:

A different time different kinda kids now of days ...

If Hunt is a kid, he is not too old, is he?
Share 49ersWebzone