There are 156 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ball Hawking Safety?

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by PTulini:
What if we drafted CB Jonathan Banks (who some people want) and convert him to Safety? I don't think he has the speed (4.5+ 40 yard dash) to play CB in the NFL. He's also played a little Safety in college.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/johnthan-banks?id=2539262

Joe Haden ran a 4.58, Richard Sherman ran 4.56, neither of those guys have the speed to play cornerback in the NFL either according to your standards. Banks is one of the very best CB's in the this draft and a guy who projects as a pretty good CB at the next level.

I agree 40 times don't tell the whole story of a CBs play.
  • buhda
  • Veteran
Put me in for Phillip Thomas late 2nd or early 3rd.
Here's one who will be available on day two from former scout Bucky Brooks

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000161682/article/2013-nfl-draft-day-2-targets-include-quinton-patton-kyle-long

Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State: The depth of the safety class in this year's draft is unprecedented with Pro Bowl-caliber playmakers available at every turn. Thomas could emerge as the crown jewel with his superb physical traits, football IQ and ball skills. He generated 20 takeaways (13 interceptions, six forced fumbles and one fumble recovery) during his career, while displaying a knack for getting around the ball in key moments. That was evident this year when he snagged eight interceptions, including three pick-6s that helped the Bulldogs' defense emerge as a credible unit. Scouts voiced concerns about his speed (4.59 at Fresno State's pro day) and injury history (Thomas missed 2011 with a broken leg), but guys with an innate knack for getting their hands on the ball typically continue to make plays in the pros, which is why I'm high on Thomas as a potential difference maker.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000161682/article/2013-nfl-draft-day-2-targets-include-quinton-patton-kyle-long

Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State: The depth of the safety class in this year's draft is unprecedented with Pro Bowl-caliber playmakers available at every turn. Thomas could emerge as the crown jewel with his superb physical traits, football IQ and ball skills. He generated 20 takeaways (13 interceptions, six forced fumbles and one fumble recovery) during his career, while displaying a knack for getting around the ball in key moments. That was evident this year when he snagged eight interceptions, including three pick-6s that helped the Bulldogs' defense emerge as a credible unit. Scouts voiced concerns about his speed (4.59 at Fresno State's pro day) and injury history (Thomas missed 2011 with a broken leg), but guys with an innate knack for getting their hands on the ball typically continue to make plays in the pros, which is why I'm high on Thomas as a potential difference maker.
This is definitely the guy. I wouldn't be upset if we traded back and picked up an extra 2nd, 3rd round, and quite possibly a late round pick. We are in a good spot to come away with Phillip Thomas and another player to be our FS/SS combo of the future, but I don't want to miss out on the talent available at TE, NT, and WR in order to do it. Trading out of the first could get us an extra pick that could possibly allow us to come out of this draft with 5-6 future starters.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Apr 19, 2013 at 6:02 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:

This is definitely the guy. I wouldn't be upset if we traded back and picked up an extra 2nd, 3rd round, and quite possibly a late round pick. We are in a good spot to come away with Phillip Thomas and another player to be our FS/SS combo of the future, but I don't want to miss out on the talent available at TE, NT, and WR in order to do it. Trading out of the first could get us an extra pick that could possibly allow us to come out of this draft with 5-6 future starters.

I am starting to get a draft crush lol. Make it happen cousin Baalke
I think along with Swearinger and Eric Reid as my preferred 2 safety options, I am now adding Jordan Poyer as an option. I know he's a CB, but he is an excellent zone player, and he does have prior safety experience. He's got the ball skills, work ethic, and instincts to make an excellent FS.

For me, it's Thomas all the way. Why? Size, 6-1, 210, sure tackler, excellent coverage FS ( 8 picks led the nation, 3 TD's), forced fumbles, he's just the all-around ballhawking FS Harbaugh's looking for.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
For me, it's Thomas all the way. Why? Size, 6-1, 210, sure tackler, excellent coverage FS ( 8 picks led the nation, 3 TD's), forced fumbles, he's just the all-around ballhawking FS Harbaugh's looking for.

I am onboard the Thomas bandwagon too now, Make it happen!