LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 202 users in the forums

Ball Hawking Safety?

E. Reid, D. Jones, D. Rogers, D. Slay, K. Geathers, and E. Wolff would make me very happy.
Vincent Frank ‏@VincentFrankNFL
#Rams releasing Quintin Mikell was a formality considering what he was owed in '13 and '14. Though, this could indicated STRONG interest in Cyprien
I get that keeping Goldson might not be worth it if teams drive up his value enough, but I hope the Baalke and co. haven't completely written off bringing him back like most WZers have. All-Pro FS aren't just "replaceable" as everyone seems to think.

Even if we could replace him with cheaper options through the early rounds of the draft, the opportunity cost is losing out on blue-chip prospects at other positions. And those other positions should be a bigger "need," since we're in a position to bring back both Pro Bowl safeties if we want.
Isn't Reid known as a hard-hitting sure tackler who's great against the run but questionable at best in coverage and lacks ball skills?
Isn't that exactly what we already have in Whitner?
Do not want Reid.
Cyprien, Rambo, or Thomas please.
Originally posted by captain_planet:
Isn't Reid known as a hard-hitting sure tackler who's great against the run but questionable at best in coverage and lacks ball skills?
Do not want Reid.

Eric Reid: Tall, long safety with a solid overall build that is still getting stronger. All-around defender who can play the run and pass. Flashes excellent closing speed, pummels receivers after the catch when coming downhill and can get into the backfield if smelling out the play after the snap. Has length and attitude to wrap up ballcarriers in the open field. Brings power into cut tackles, lowering his shoulder to stop running backs cold. Also lays the wood over the middle, putting a shoulder into their midsection. Gets physical with receivers attempting to block him in the run game. Has athleticism to handle tight ends in the passing game. Possesses the height, vertical and competitive nature to win jump balls. Good enough hands to take advantage of poor throws, will undercut receivers and can catch the ball away from his frame.

You might want to watch game tape as well
  • WiL7
  • Veteran
I could see Tyrann Matheiu as a good ballhawking safety. I could be wrong, but I read somewhere that LSU would play him in a lot of intermediate and deep zones because they has Morris Claiborne and Pat Peterson. He seems to be able to cover ground, and we all know he has a nose for making plays all over the field. IMO he could pan out after being "Red-shirted." HONEYBADGER in the third!!
Originally posted by WiL7:
I could see Tyrann Matheiu as a good ballhawking safety. I could be wrong, but I read somewhere that LSU would play him in a lot of intermediate and deep zones because they has Morris Claiborne and Pat Peterson. He seems to be able to cover ground, and we all know he has a nose for making plays all over the field. IMO he could pan out after being "Red-shirted." HONEYBADGER in the third!!

I'm not against drafting Matheiu, but not till the 5th round.
Originally posted by captain_planet:
Do not want Reid.

Perfect summary of the point of this thread. Safeties have different strengths and weaknesses. Finding one to fit the scheme is the key. A player like Whitner is very good at run support and big hits. If it wasn't for him, the Niners probably don't beat the Saints in the play-offs two seasons ago. However, I'd really like to find a FS that can help shut down the deep pass that the Niners seem so prone to give up. Someone in the Troy P or Ed Reed mold.
What if we drafted CB Jonathan Banks (who some people want) and convert him to Safety? I don't think he has the speed (4.5+ 40 yard dash) to play CB in the NFL. He's also played a little Safety in college.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/johnthan-banks?id=2539262
[ Edited by PTulini on Mar 11, 2013 at 12:54 AM ]
Originally posted by PTulini:
What if we drafted CB Jonathan Banks (who some people want) and convert him to Safety? I don't think he has the speed (4.5+ 40 yard dash) to play CB in the NFL. He's also played a little Safety in college.

Joe Haden ran a 4.58, Richard Sherman ran 4.56, neither of those guys have the speed to play cornerback in the NFL either according to your standards. Banks is one of the very best CB's in the this draft and a guy who projects as a pretty good CB at the next level.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Joe Haden ran a 4.58, Richard Sherman ran 4.56, neither of those guys have the speed to play cornerback in the NFL either according to your standards. Banks is one of the very best CB's in the this draft and a guy who projects as a pretty good CB at the next level.

I do like the idea of Banks so that the Niners have a bigger CB to deal with the really tall WR out there. I'm not saying that they need to go Seattle and have all big CB. But I think this does add to a versatile secondary. Smaller, quick CB. Taller CB. And safeties that can actually cover.

drives me crazy when people bring up a 40 time to judge whether a player can play that position. Joe Haden would laugh at that.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

drives me crazy when people bring up a 40 time to judge whether a player can play that position. Joe Haden would laugh at that.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think he will eventually be moved to Safety.
Wrong Reid it looks more like Ed Reed
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Wrong Reid it looks more like Ed Reed

If we sign Ed Reed, draft Bacarri Rambo in the 3rd to be groomed by him. Rambo is considered an aggressive ball hawk that needs to mature at the position
Share 49ersWebzone