LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Ball Hawking Safety?

Originally posted by SF69ers:
If we sign Ed Reed, draft Bacarri Rambo in the 3rd to be groomed by him. Rambo is considered an aggressive ball hawk that needs to mature at the position

Preach brother. That is what I want. Stick with BAP during the draft and getting Rambo in the 3rd. Don't really want a 1st/2nd round safety drafted.
I think there's only 3 safeties in this draft that can be considered ball hawks (which I really want in a Free Safety).. Those being,
  • Bacarri Rambo
  • Phillip Thomas
  • Josh Evans (really underrated IMO)
Thomas or Amerson.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think its a good draft depth wise for S but I would not take one with either pick 31 or 34. The only guy I really think is worthy of that is Kenny Vaccaro and he will be gone. I would much prefer to take a DL. CB, and/or WR in these spots and then grab Thomas, Reid, Cyprian, or Elam with our second 2nd rd pick. I think one will be there.

Good call. Use the high draft picks on the skill positions...unless of course, they really, really think that guys like Reid or Cyprien will be studs. Another option is to take a big college CB and convert him to FS.

I would also add pass rusher to your list. The Niners could have really used another of those when Justin Smith got hurt last season.

The nice thing about being a Niner fan these days is that we can all be sure that Baalke and Co. will at least discuss all of their options.

Cheers!
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Apr 16, 2013 at 10:45 PM ]
Please remember that Goldson was a CB until his senior year at Wash. I remember when they drafted him and thinking they want to draft a player with 1 year experience at let him play with the big boys.

http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/goldson_dashon00.html
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cooper22:
I think there's only 3 safeties in this draft that can be considered ball hawks (which I really want in a Free Safety).. Those being,
  • Bacarri Rambo
  • Phillip Thomas

This looks likemy short list. But i also like lester but mainly as an eventual whitner replacement.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Please remember that Goldson was a CB until his senior year at Wash. I remember when they drafted him and thinking they want to draft a player with 1 year experience at let him play with the big boys.

http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/goldson_dashon00.html

That is actually incorrect. He played FS at junior college his freshman year, and played FS his Soph and junior year at Washington til his senior year where he moved to CB in order for Washington to put their best DBs on the field.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/504810
Originally posted by krizay:
  • Bacarri Rambo
  • Phillip Thomas

This looks likemy short list. But i also like lester but mainly as an eventual whitner replacement.

Yep. This draft is deeper in SS than FS, unfortunately.
  • Bacarri Rambo
  • Phillip Thomas

Really beginning to like the idea of taking Josh Evans.
I really think Phillip Thomas has the best overall attributes in terms of tackling, coverage and being an all-around ballhawk. Good size, 6-1, 210, and a warrior (recovered from broken leg and dislocated ankle) to have an outstanding senior season.

Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Idk what you looked at Eric Reid played well vs A&M & South Carolina in coverage & tackling (Body & Arm) as a JR he has more upside better value in the 2nd round for 49ers, also LSU had all Freshmen Corners last year. Other than Vacarro, Elam is a SS Cyprien & Thomas are poor arm tacklers (all body) to my liking.

JJ WIlcox is & interesting prospect in the mid to late round kid has 1 yr experience on defense but a great player to groom to replace whitner.

Good point.. Proper Tackling especially with the new rule change is of supreme importance. Sanders commings is a great SS prospect IMO and we should get amerson for the other safety spot. Whichever one doesn't pan out becomes our nickel
[ Edited by bdub2588 on Apr 18, 2013 at 6:32 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
The safeties I want are.......

Philip thomas (late 2nd)
Rambo (early 3rd)
evans (early 3rd)

Duke williams (4th)
Lester (4th)

if we get any 2 of of those guys. preferrably 1 from each group and i'll be ahppy.
Sanders Commings (6-2, 216) from Georgia is a big, fast, physical defensive back who many teams are looking at converting to safety from cornerback. He's got very good ball skills with long arms to knock away passes. Drafted as an outfielder in the MLB draft so you know he's atleast solid at tracking the deep ball.

My very first post on this site was about him
Phillip Thomas is my favorite safety in this draft.
Sanders Commings is my 2nd. Both underrated. both smart players. Would love to have both guys in Red and Gold
[ Edited by martysofresh on Apr 18, 2013 at 8:06 PM ]
  • Andra
  • Veteran
any thouhgts on Ray Armstrong S from Miami I only seen highlight tape and of course he looks like a superhero
Share 49ersWebzone