There are 223 users in the forums

Ball Hawking Safety?

Originally posted by SSF49er:
Phillip thomas is too slow hope it Elam or Cyprien and draft Jefferson in the 4th to replace whitner next year

And how exactly did you come to that conclusion?
I don't think he's the best but I really like D.J. Swearinger. He reminds me alot of a younger Goldson. He's not a great but a solid coverage guy. Big hitter that will uphold the physicality of our defense and he has plenty of room to grow. I have enough confidence in this coaching staff to keep this kid getting better.
Best FS in the draft is Eric Reid hands down. If Goldson leaves in FA, Reid should be the 49ers 1st pick. 2012 First Team All-American and Team Captain on one the best defenses in the country. Look at what LSU did to the 2012 Heisman trophy winner last year.
http://www.lsusports.net/fls/5200/assets/docs/fb/12stats/ls08.htm
Originally posted by Ice49er:
Best FS in the draft is Eric Reid hands down. If Goldson leaves in FA, Reid should be the 49ers 1st pick. 2012 First Team All-American and Team Captain on one the best defenses in the country. Look at what LSU did to the 2012 Heisman trophy winner last year.
I hate this argument. " OMG, this guy played on an absolutely stacked defense,...so he must be awesome".......rather than looking what he has done individually. As I said before, not all too impressed by his coverage abilities, he's a big hitter but he got burnt quite a few times this past season. There's other prospects I'd draft before him. I wouldn't be upset if he ended up as a 49er, but as a FS, he's much similar to Goldson in terms of being a big-time hitter, but being limited in coverage.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 10, 2013 at 7:55 PM ]
Originally posted by Ice49er:

Agree people forget LSU had Freshmen CB's alot of pressure were on the Safeties and Reid played Great against A&M possibly the best QB in the country in Johnny Football, Only a JR but very physical & great tackler with his body & arms unlike Goldson. I don't know about 1st pick but 2nd round value he sure is good. Mississippi State CB Darius Slay played well against A&M as well great cover corner good 3rd/4th round value
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Agree people forget LSU had Freshmen CB's alot of pressure were on the Safeties and Reid played Great against A&M possibly the best QB in the country in Johnny Football, Only a JR but very physical & great tackler with his body & arms unlike Goldson. I don't know about 1st pick but 2nd round value he sure is good. Mississippi State CB Darius Slay played well against A&M as well great cover corner good 3rd/4th round value

He also got beat in several other games. If he were drafted to replace Whitner, I'd take that, he's a hard hitter and is definitely better in coverage, but in terms of being a free safety at the NFL level, I don't see him being able to do well in man coverage, not fluid at all, bites on double moves, looks too hesitant when reading a defense.

So yeah, if they take Reid to be a strong safety. If they take Reid as a free safety, I think there's better overall prospects for that.
I think its a good draft depth wise for S but I would not take one with either pick 31 or 34. The only guy I really think is worthy of that is Kenny Vaccaro and he will be gone. I would much prefer to take a DL. CB, and/or WR in these spots and then grab Thomas, Reid, Cyprian, or Elam with our second 2nd rd pick. I think one will be there.
Cyprien is my favorite safety in the draft. He is going to be good. Reid is a bigger guy, but gets too high when he tackles and gives up ground. Cyprien truly runs downhill, ala Goldson. I also love the comparision NFLNetwork was using about Elam and Whitner as well. It would be cool to get (31)Cyprien and (34) Elam!!
I'm from the Bay Area but grew up in Texas as a huge Longhorn fan. I have watched every Longhorn game since 1999. Kenny Vaccaro is a great player but he also has some big issue that he will need to fix. Arm tackles, poor angles to the ball and can get beat by double moves. Ried took over the A&M and Alabama game.
Also he was a 2012 First Team All-American (AFCA Coaches, FWAA, ESPN, ESPN.com, Scout.com) and 2012 Second Team All-American (AP, Walter Camp, Athlon Sports, CBSsports.com, SI.com).
Originally posted by D-Money:
Cyprien is my favorite safety in the draft. He is going to be good. Reid is a bigger guy, but gets too high when he tackles and gives up ground. Cyprien truly runs downhill, ala Goldson. I also love the comparision NFLNetwork was using about Elam and Whitner as well. It would be cool to get (31)Cyprien and (34) Elam!!

I would be pissed if the Niners selected safetys with their first 2 picks.

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I don't think its necessary, not in this draft where there is so much safety depth. I wouldn't be mad if they took 1 in the 2nd and 1 in the 3rd though. Like the thought of getting both Cyprien and JJ Wilcox, two guys with big ceilings, both very physical but with solid coverage abilities.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I don't think its necessary, not in this draft where there is so much safety depth. I wouldn't be mad if they took 1 in the 2nd and 1 in the 3rd though. Like the thought of getting both Cyprien and JJ Wilcox, two guys with big ceilings, both very physical but with solid coverage abilities.

Too many other needs for the Niners to focus on both safety spots. No chance would I pass on guys like Datrone Jones, Jesse Williams. Marcus Trufant, or Jonathan Banks ( to name a few) in order to grab safetys. I like Cyprien in the late 2nd if he lasts that long though.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

He also got beat in several other games. If he were drafted to replace Whitner, I'd take that, he's a hard hitter and is definitely better in coverage, but in terms of being a free safety at the NFL level, I don't see him being able to do well in man coverage, not fluid at all, bites on double moves, looks too hesitant when reading a defense.

So yeah, if they take Reid to be a strong safety. If they take Reid as a free safety, I think there's better overall prospects for that.

Cyprien doesnt? who doesn't get beat? With top competition Reid did well against A&M, Alabama, South Carolina also Reid is a better tackler & playmaker than Cyprien who tends to tackle with his body & whiffs alot in less competition like Goldson look at tape. Reid in the 2nd is a better value than Cyprien in the 1st. His coverage skills are not the best but can be managed by play calling. I would even go by saying JJ Wilcox has HUGE upside over Cyprien which you can get in the mid to late rounds very natural raw talent.

Too many other needs for the Niners to focus on both safety spots. No chance would I pass on guys like Datrone Jones, Jesse Williams. Marcus Trufant, or Jonathan Banks ( to name a few) in order to grab safetys. I like Cyprien in the late 2nd if he lasts that long though.

Agree safety should be addressed in the 2nd/3rd round & Cyprien won't be there. Datone Jones, Tavon Austin with the first 2 picks would be great.
I love Cyprien. I also think Earl Wolff is a big time sleeper at SS. If the 49ers could draft Reid in the 1st and Wolff in the 4th round it could be set for years at S and allow the 49ers to free up some money.
Share 49ersWebzone