There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trade pick 34 for 2014 1st rd pick?

Trade pick 34 for 2014 1st rd pick?

It depends on what team wants to give up their 1st next year. If it is a crappy team - sure I would do that.
Depends who is available during our pick.
I would trade our 34th pick and a third rounder to the jets for Revis and their 2014 1st round pick.
[ Edited by tbyrdc3 on Mar 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM ]
This is a interesting idea. I, for one, wouldn't rule this out of the player the 49ers were targeting was gone. It would be next year's 1st and this year's 4th though.
Nope. Use it to move up now.
Originally posted by tbyrdc3:
I would trade our 34th pick and a third rounder to the jets for Revis and their 2014 1st round pick.

I think it would be a good idea. To everyone saying we need talent now I say we were in a decent position before the Smith trade. Were essentially trading him for a 1st and at least a 4th. We have 15 picks and I say we use 5-6. That's our 1st, our 2nd, Caro 3rd, our 3rd, and a 5th round on a kicker. We have 8-9 picks to get position this year and next. The benefit from trading the kc pick has enormous upside because were going to have extra picks next year as well so if the pick ends up in 10-15 range we could realistically reach 7-10 if we put ourselves into that position. Next years draft isn't going tl be as funky as this years. Qbs, Wr, and rbs are going to push a shariff floyd type player to 7-15. I mean if your wanting smiths replacement this is how you do it without losing your way to him.
I have a hunch we'll package our 31st and 34th pick to move up significantly in the first round for Justin Smith's replacement.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,378
Nah I wouldn't trade it. Having pick 34 is like having another 1st rounder. There is so much talent at that spot.
Originally posted by Olejohnnyboy:
I have a hunch we'll package our 31st and 34th pick to move up significantly in the first round for Justin Smith's replacement.

Who? Who would we possibly want with that pick? And how can we afford to pay a high first rounder AND Justin Smith for the next 2 years, with all the money we have tied up?
To be honest this would make more sense if we were trading the 31st pick. Jacksonville is the most likely team to take a QB at the top of round 2. After that you have the Eagles (possible, but not a strong likelihood they take a QB there), then the Lions and Bengals before the Cards. So there are other trade partners in round 2 to jump the Cards. I think teams are really going to be looking at jumping Jax though...

That said, I would trade the 31st to a team drafting in the middle of the second round (Bills go up for Barkley/Glennon to jump Jax hypothetically) for next year's first. That's only a 600 point loss this year for a pick that's potentially worth ~1500 next season. I'm sure we'd get some compensation in this draft too. I understand that the "meat" of this years class is 20-50 but you can't tell me that the 31st pick this year is going to be anywhere near worth the 5-15th pick in next year's draft, which is widely considered to be a superior class, and one which has the potential for 2-3 QBs to be drafted in the first 5-10 picks. Some elite position players are going to fall to where I envision the Bills/Jets will be picking. Losing out on Jesse Williams for the potential to draft Clowney (if God shines upon us), or Marqise Lee, Sammy Watkins, Stephon Tuitt (a real heir to Justin), or a top corner is a dream we should seriously, seriously consider, if not make strides to turn into a reality.

I think we are all getting spoiled with the amount of picks we have in this year's draft. Even if we trade our 1st rounder this year we are going to be able to add 3-4 quality players to an already loaded roster. Anyone we draft at 31 and 34 is not an "elite" prospect. Why draft ONE MORE quality role player, when we have the opportunity to trade into next years draft and nab an impact/star caliber player that's only going to make a couple mil per season. The way the new CBA is set up, there's no better value for adding players than at the top of the draft. You can get elite, game changing players for 1/8th of their market value. Especially with Baalke's proven eye for talent, I would love love love to see him drafting in the top third again.
[ Edited by 2Legit2Quit on Mar 5, 2013 at 10:48 PM ]
Originally posted by 2Legit2Quit:
To be honest this would make more sense if we were trading the 31st pick. Jacksonville is the most likely team to take a QB at the top of round 2. After that you have the Eagles (possible, but not a strong likelihood they take a QB there), then the Lions and Bengals before the Cards. So there are other trade partners in round 2 to jump the Cards. I think teams are really going to be looking at jumping Jax though...

That said, I would trade the 31st to a team drafting in the middle of the second round (Bills go up for Barkley/Glennon to jump Jax hypothetically) for next year's first. That's only a 600 point loss this year for a pick that's potentially worth ~1500 next season. I'm sure we'd get some compensation in this draft too. I understand that the "meat" of this years class is 20-50 but you can't tell me that the 31st pick this year is going to be anywhere near worth the 5-15th pick in next year's draft, which is widely considered to be a superior class, and one which has the potential for 2-3 QBs to be drafted in the first 5-10 picks. Some elite position players are going to fall to where I envision the Bills/Jets will be picking. Losing out on Jesse Williams for the potential to draft Clowney (if God shines upon us), or Marqise Lee, Sammy Watkins, Stephon Tuitt (a real heir to Justin), or a top corner is a dream we should seriously, seriously consider, if not make strides to turn into a reality.

I think we are all getting spoiled with the amount of picks we have in this year's draft. Even if we trade our 1st rounder this year we are going to be able to add 3-4 quality players to an already loaded roster. Anyone we draft at 31 and 34 is not an "elite" prospect. Why draft ONE MORE quality role player, when we have the opportunity to trade into next years draft and nab an impact/star caliber player that's only going to make a couple mil per season. The way the new CBA is set up, there's no better value for adding players than at the top of the draft. You can get elite, game changing players for 1/8th of their market value. Especially with Baalke's proven eye for talent, I would love love love to see him drafting in the top third again.
+1

Excellent post.

We have more draft picks than can possibly make the roster this coming season.

If we can trade 34 for a 1st in 2014 and say, a 4th or 5th rounder this year, we will have plenty of picks to fill our needs and manoeuvre for targeted players.

In this scenario, should Alex Smith perform well enough for KC to elevate our 2014 KC pick from a 3rd rounder to a 2nd, Baalke (for the wheeling and dealing) and Harbaugh (for coaching him up to his full potential) will have tuned Alex into a 1st and 2nd round pick in 2014 as well as a 4th or 5th in 2013. Incredible given he had no suitors outside of SF last offseason.
[ Edited by slowriot on Mar 5, 2013 at 11:12 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,144
Trade #34 to Cleveland for pick #68 in 2013 and their 2014 first round pick.
Cleveland moves ahead of Arizona and Buffalo up to take a QB.

We still have 5 picks in the first 100.

If KC does well, we have 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks in 2014.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM ]
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by saj4423:
I would deal our 2nd 2nd round pick for a future #1 but if they want pick 34 then I would want at least a 4th to go with it.

The discrepancy of what you said is massive. That's like saying that to trade from 62 to 34 only takes a 4th round pick...

What does trading from 62 to 34 have anything to do with it? What I said was I would deal the niners second 2nd round pick for a future #1 but if the other team wanted the #34 pick I would want at least a 4th round pick to go along with the future #1 pick.
Originally posted by saj4423:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by saj4423:
I would deal our 2nd 2nd round pick for a future #1 but if they want pick 34 then I would want at least a 4th to go with it.

The discrepancy of what you said is massive. That's like saying that to trade from 62 to 34 only takes a 4th round pick...

What does trading from 62 to 34 have anything to do with it? What I said was I would deal the niners second 2nd round pick for a future #1 but if the other team wanted the #34 pick I would want at least a 4th round pick to go along with the future #1 pick.
Ok, let me explain.

The two trades you proposed that are equivalent ar:

[34 ==> 2014 1st and 2013 4th]

AND

[62 (our 2nd, 2nd rounder) ==> 2014 1st].

Correct? Therefore, the difference in compensation is only a 2013 4th round pick. Therefore, you are saying that he difference in value between 34 and 62 is only a 4th rd. pick. Therefore you are suggesting that trading from 34 to 62 would carry a fair value of a 4th round pick.

[_]