There are 235 users in the forums

Trade pick 34 for 2014 1st rd pick?

Trade pick 34 for 2014 1st rd pick?

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Only way we trade #34 pick is if we know we're getting a top 10 pick frm the other team I want clowney olb or amerson CB ... remember tha 34 pick could get us a really good CB ...

There is an Amerson in this year's draft. He came out early.

Is this the guy you are thinking about?

*David Amerson CB North Carolina St 6-219

Yea my bad walterfootball has him ranked #1 CB in 2014 class lol guess they need to update N I need to pay attention more
I wouldn't do it this year. #34 sits right at the heart of this draft. Plus, you can't tell what's going to happen next year. Sure we *might* be missing out on a top ten selection next year, but we might also end up having traded #34 this year for a mid 20's pick next year. The Bengals drafted #21 the year after they drafted Dalton in the 2nd (they had #4 that year). We drafted #30 after taking Kap despite sitting at #7 the year before.
Originally posted by Overkill:
I wouldn't do it this year. #34 sits right at the heart of this draft. Plus, you can't tell what's going to happen next year. Sure we *might* be missing out on a top ten selection next year, but we might also end up having traded #34 this year for a mid 20's pick next year. The Bengals drafted #21 the year after they drafted Dalton in the 2nd (they had #4 that year). We drafted #30 after taking Kap despite sitting at #7 the year before.

Yes. It would have to be 2014 1st and another pick. Not worth it to trade 2013 #34 and end up with 2014 #30, say.

Trade our own 2nd rounder for a 2014 1st.
Originally posted by English:
Yes. It would have to be 2014 1st and another pick. Not worth it to trade 2013 #34 and end up with 2014 #30, say.

This.

The assumption that some people in this thread are making is that some crappy team is going to just trade away a 1st rounder next year for a 2nd rounder this year. That's not going to happen. These teams also consider where they might fall in the scheme of things, that they might not be successful next year and I don't think anyone is willing to give up a Teddy Bridgewater or other top QB in a much more talent-rich draft to move up for someone like Mike Glennon. If a team like the Jets is going to move up, they'll use their 2nd rounder this year as part of the deal, thus negating the inclusion of a future 1st round pick.

The only teams that would trade away a 1st round next year are likely those who are already in the latter half of the draft, meaning that the 49ers would be trading away the 2nd pick in the 2nd round this year for a pick somewhere in the 20's in the 1st round next year. I'd rather just keep the primo pick this year and choose a quality contributor that can help this team get back to the Superbowl in 2013.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I'm thinking in this order for next years draft.

Jets - they'll be lucky to win one game
Jacksonville
Raiders
Browns

They'd be realistic trading partners. AND then - there is ALWAYS the surprise team that fails because of injuries and bad coaching.

Jets and Jacksonville all have early 2nd rounders, if they move up, compensation won't include a 1st rounder next year.

Raiders might be a possibility if Crazy Uncle Al were still around but it seems that they've got some saner minds running the place, so I expect them to basically stay pat.

Cleveland lost their 2nd round in the supplemental draft, I don't see them giving away a first in next year's draft unless they get really desperate, but considering that next year's draft will have true franchise level QB's available and better overall talent at that top, I just don't see it happening.
Hell to the yes if it's one of the QB needy teams at the top of the 2nd. However, I would think our #31 would be more valuable. Imagine if it was a team like AZ, OAK, NYJ, or BUF wanted to jump up before day two especially if Barkley and/or Smith are still there which is a possibility. We would land a top 15 pick plus our 32nd for 2014.
It all comes down to how much we like the guy who we would take at the 34th pick. If we aren't totally sold on the person then yes. Having two first rounders next year would be sick.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by English:

This.

The assumption that some people in this thread are making is that some crappy team is going to just trade away a 1st rounder next year for a 2nd rounder this year. That's not going to happen. These teams also consider where they might fall in the scheme of things, that they might not be successful next year and I don't think anyone is willing to give up a Teddy Bridgewater or other top QB in a much more talent-rich draft to move up for someone like Mike Glennon. If a team like the Jets is going to move up, they'll use their 2nd rounder this year as part of the deal, thus negating the inclusion of a future 1st round pick.

The only teams that would trade away a 1st round next year are likely those who are already in the latter half of the draft, meaning that the 49ers would be trading away the 2nd pick in the 2nd round this year for a pick somewhere in the 20's in the 1st round next year. I'd rather just keep the primo pick this year and choose a quality contributor that can help this team get back to the Superbowl in 2013.

Look, you need to stop making definitive "WON'T HAPPEN" statements to a completely conceivable situation. The value is fair, and we did that not long ago (Staley). And the Panthers gave us thier 2010 1st for an early 2nd 2 years after that. So not only is this possible, but there are clear examples, that we have been involved in, with this same thing happening. And neither of those situations even involved a QB!!!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I'm thinking in this order for next years draft.

Jets - they'll be lucky to win one game
Jacksonville
Raiders
Browns

They'd be realistic trading partners. AND then - there is ALWAYS the surprise team that fails because of injuries and bad coaching.
Here is my idea again:
Trade 31 to the Jets for a 2014 1st and 2013 3rd
Trade 34 Raiders for a 2014 1st
Trade 63 Browns for a 2014 1st

now we have 4 3rd rounders use 3 and trade 1 for another 2nd next year.
That gives us 3 add'l 1st rounders and a 2 add'l 2nd rounders for 2014
That uses up 4 of our 15 picks this year so we are still able to pull 10 good backups and maybe a starter for this year.

With next years 7 draft picks
4 1st rounders
3 2nd rounders
3rd rounder
4th rounder
5th rounder
6th rounder
7th rounder

This with out even counting compansation pick for next year. This is sick to think how well we could set our selves up for the future if we were smart.

I say trade as much as teams are willing to give. If the trade is not as good as the player then select BPA. We have the league by their balls and if we continue every team will be red faced on their knees for the next decade and we will be hated for al time for winning back-to-back-to-back-to-back-back superbowls and putting the 49ers of the 80s, the Steelers of the 70s,the Cowboys of the 90s, and the Patriots of the 2000s to shame.

Lets make a statement that last a decade or more. Trade them picks and trade them now!!!!!
[ Edited by juycho on Mar 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM ]
With the amount of talent available, I'd rather make a move to get another pick in the top 100. There are some clear 1st round talents that will be available in the second round and a lot of guys who can come in and start immediately available with picks 34 and 61. I'd rather just load up on young guys now. We may also need them as insurance as contracts of certain guys come up (Anthony Davis for example).

BUMP!

I absolutely want to trade OUT of one of our early picks to try to land an extra 1st rounder next season. Wont change thoughts either during the draft.
We could make a trade that will help a team this coming season with a potential impact player, but at the same time, could enormously add to our early pick stockpile for next year.

And if we target a Jets, Bills, Jags or Raiders teams, we could very well pick in the top 3 , along with our own 1st rounder.

Im looking at these picks as points. And you get so much value in these high 1st rounders to at least manuever through so you CAN target someone or position.

And remember, Justin Smith wasnt found at the bottom first. We need his replacement next year, not this year. If we can make a deal with one of those teams, It would be my first priority is to trade out.
only if it is to Jacksonville so we can have number one to trade
#34 is practically a first rounder already. You don't trade a current first rounder for a future first rounder. If anything, I could get on board with the #62. But I'd rather use our picks this year and bring in five or six high-impact players in the first three rounds.

With our young talent, franchise QB, top head coach, and smart salary management, our future is always going to be bright. No need to mortgage present assets for future ones for no good reason. It could significantly diminish our chances of hoisting the 2014 Lombardi.
Originally posted by tbyrdc3:
I would trade our 34th pick and a third rounder to the jets for Revis and their 2014 1st round pick.

Ya that's a hell of a deal for them.
I hope the raiders draft GENO SMITH because then, Buffallo Jax Cle and other trying to get a QB are going to want to trade up to the top of the 2nd 34 or 1st our 31 right in front of JAX 33 to pick a QB so the niners will pick up another 2nd or 3rd round pick i see the niners trading all day long and adding at least 4 extra picks for next year
Share 49ersWebzone