There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Un-Phoenix 49ers Mock Draft

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't think the talent is there. Last year was a different story, in lieu of Jenkins they could have taken Kendall Reyes or Derek Wolfe. This year....the top 3-4 players will likely be gone. At that point, you're either reaching for guys, or hoping and praying on projects such as Hunt. I'd say f**k it, make the offensive super explosive and go light teams up like a Christmas tree on a regular basis.

This team needs more playmakers on offense, that much is clear. The 49ers lost to Baltimore after having the ball on the 7 yard line and were unable to punch it in after 4 attempts....that has to change.

Ya know i read an interesting article preseason on the ravens. It was talking about the thr ricr extension and signing jacoby jones. It said essentially that the team was changing internally. The defensive monster of the early 2000s were in the twilight years and the future face was ray rice, flacco, jones. Not thst the defense isn't great but people think of defense when they think of the ravens but now it flacco and rice. Jones is on dancing with stars. Teams have to adapt and make the best with what they got. Im not saying we should give up kn defense but it blows my mind people think our defense is worse off thsn our offense. I mean were talking about drafting DEPTH at DE with the 1st picks and we dont even have a #2 wr. Some teams have 3-4 wr that could be #1. We have 1and somehow thats enough. Too many to some people who think we should cut manningham, moss, and williams. We have a young qb, oline, #1 wr, and a great TE. We need to get some quality yard producers because we hav the potential to be a top5 offense.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
I also think you're onto something with the Seymour signing. Given his age and the fact that he's been wasting away in Oakland, we might be able to get him at a very solid price. And I think he has more than enough left in the tank to contribute for us as a rotational 3-4 DE.

Plus, it never hurts to add veterans with championship experience.

Similar to Moss, Seymour drew kudo's in Oakland for his impact on the younger defensive lineman. He'd be another strong team guy, a very well respected veteran that can still play well.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Ya know i read an interesting article preseason on the ravens. It was talking about the thr ricr extension and signing jacoby jones. It said essentially that the team was changing internally. The defensive monster of the early 2000s were in the twilight years and the future face was ray rice, flacco, jones. Not thst the defense isn't great but people think of defense when they think of the ravens but now it flacco and rice. Jones is on dancing with stars. Teams have to adapt and make the best with what they got. Im not saying we should give up kn defense but it blows my mind people think our defense is worse off thsn our offense. I mean were talking about drafting DEPTH at DE with the 1st picks and we dont even have a #2 wr. Some teams have 3-4 wr that could be #1. We have 1and somehow thats enough. Too many to some people who think we should cut manningham, moss, and williams. We have a young qb, oline, #1 wr, and a great TE. We need to get some quality yard producers because we hav the potential to be a top5 offense.

I agree entirely. People are essentially saying that backups at 3-4 DE are more important than starters at WR. Manningham did well last year, but he's realistically a #3 WR. He's not great by any stretch and I don't want to count on him coming back after that injury. Kyle Williams also doesn't look like anything special. Baltimore added a new dimension to their offense with Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones. 49ers need to do the same. The Jenkins pick probably didn't work out as might have been expected, but if you have the chance to add impact WR's to the offense, then you do it. Otherwise you end up like Houston at WR, one top #1 WR and a whole bunch of scrubs. I don't want no scrubs and I'm ain't too proud to beg. Wait...what?

I like it.
Tavon Austin is gonna be awesome. He's a mix between Desean Jackson and Steve Smith. Manningham may start the season on the PUP list so we might not even see him play until week 6. Or is it 8?
Wouldn't mind getting two WR's like that but if Jonathan Jenkins is there at 2A he'd be the guy I'd want. Take another WR in the 4th like Cobi Hamilton or Aaron Mellette.

Definitely Un-Phoenix since Patton isn't there. Lol.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Mar 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM ]
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I like it.
Tavon Austin is gonna be awesome. He's a mix between Desean Jackson and Steve Smith.
Wouldn't mind getting two WR's like that but if Jonathan Jenkins is there at 2A he'd be the guy I'd want. Take another WR in the 4th like Cobi Hamilton or Aaron Mellette.

I also disagree about taking Hamilton or Melette in the 4th. If you have a shot at Austin AND Rogers, I think you do it, those are both 1st round caliber WR's. Take Roger's character issues out of the equation and he's gone before the 49ers pick in the 1st round. Although, I just thought of another possibility, say both Keenan Allen and Tavon Austin drop and the 49ers end up Allen in the 1st and Austin with the KC pick.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2013 at 7:42 PM ]
Phoenix, I can't see taking a small player at #1. I think back to Reggie Bush, super fast in college but the pro game has speed everywhere. Look at Jackson and Macklin with Philly, two little guys that get injured a lot. If they do go wide receiver IMO it will be someone with size. A small return man can be found in the later rounds.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I like it.
Tavon Austin is gonna be awesome. He's a mix between Desean Jackson and Steve Smith.

I also disagree about taking Hamilton or Melette in the 4th. If you have a shot at Austin AND Rogers, I think you do it, those are both 1st round caliber WR's. Take Roger's character issues out of the equation and he's gone before the 49ers pick in the 1st round.

Like I said though I wouldn't mind the back to back WR's like that. Although I like Justin Hunter more if he's there. Don't really know much about Rogers though, character issues don't really bug me much unless it's like Lawrence Phillips type character issues. His stats look pretty good though.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Phoenix, I can't see taking a small player at #1. I think back to Reggie Bush, super fast in college but the pro game has speed everywhere. Look at Jackson and Macklin with Philly, two little guys that get injured a lot. If they do go wide receiver IMO it will be someone with size. A small return man can be found in the later rounds.

I think you're looking at Austin as just a "small player" than a ridiculously explosive weapon. This is a guy who can continuously get past the defense for big plays. If you look beyond his size and look at him as a football player, he's actually pretty tough and dynamic. If the 49ers could add a Desean Jackson type of player, would you really complain? A few years ago people around here were mad as hell, and many still are, that the 49ers passed him up. Austin is even more explosive and athletic than Desean Jackson was. I've been someone on the fence about Austin as I do recognize the need for defensive depth, but the sort of talent that the 49ers need, really isn't there, so why not go all out and build an offense that will blow teams out of the building. And if Jenkins develops, then so much the better, you'll have an opportunity to attack teams deep all the time and there's few that will be able to hold up to such an attack.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM ]
I think you're looking at Austin as just a "small player" than a ridiculously explosive weapon. This is a guy who can continuously get past the defense for big plays. If you look beyond his size and look at him as a football player, he's actually pretty tough and dynamic. If the 49ers could add a Desean Jackson type of player, would you really complain? A few years ago people around here were mad as hell, and many still are, that the 49ers passed him up. Austin is even more explosive and athletic than Desean Jackson was. I've been someone on the fence about Austin as I do recognize the need for defensive depth, but the sort of talent that the 49ers need, really isn't there, so why not go all out and build an offense that will blow teams out of the building. And if Jenkins develops, then so much the better, you'll have an opportunity to attack teams deep all the time and there's few that will be able to hold up to such an attack.

I go along with your take on building the offense and giving Kaep more weapons. A speed type receiver can be found later. If Austin is there in the second he would be worth serious consideration.
Similar to Moss, Seymour drew kudo's in Oakland for his impact on the younger defensive lineman. He'd be another strong team guy, a very well respected veteran that can still play well.

I think Seymour will be a niner!
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Once free agency comes we shall know more of course is all speculation on both of parts. I do like us signing Richard Seymour thou he would bring that tough asset we need.

I love the idea of Seymour as someone who could play a lot of effective snaps at DE for the 49ers next season.

Yeah, great freaking idea...wonder where it came from http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/171333-bigwads-mock-offseason-2013/

Collins is a middle second at least. No way he falls to the middle of the third.

My bet is that Baalke is going to go way defense. Our defense lost the superbowl and played horrible in the first half of the NFC Championship and Superbowl
[ Edited by bigwads on Mar 1, 2013 at 8:12 PM ]
This team did not struggle throwing the ball last year, big games were lost on the back end of the defense. Yes we need to add a fast outside receiver but we need an upgrade at corner and we may not have Goldson back so a ballhawking FS high in the draft would be a necessity.

The best FS will be in the middle end of the 1st.
The some of the best CB's after Milliner will go in the top of the 2nd.
The whole 2nd round will be full of WR's that could help.

Tavon Austin will not do as much for the Niners as a premium FS or CB would.
Logan over C. Washington? mmm... I'm okay with the rest... more than okay...I'd be pretty happy with Austin and Rogers. I don't know we pull the trigger that high on 2 wrs.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Yeah, great freaking idea...wonder where it came from http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/171333-bigwads-mock-offseason-2013/

Collins is a middle second at least. No way he falls to the middle of the third.

Not to burst your bubble but people have been talking about Seymour as a potential 49er for months now bro.

I do disagree on Collins, he was a middle 3rd to middle 4th round player before the Combine, he'll get a bump but I don't think it will as high as some expect. Additionally there's other 3-4 OLB prospects in that same range that could be taken in lieu of him. Corey Lemonier and David Bass are two of them potentially.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
This team did not struggle throwing the ball last year, big games were lost on the back end of the defense. Yes we need to add a fast outside receiver but we need an upgrade at corner and we may not have Goldson back so a ballhawking FS high in the draft would be a necessity.

Disagree entirely. They did struggle moving the ball at times, and they couldn't get it into the endzone when they most needed to against Baltimore. All that other stuff would have been irrelevant had they been able to score. Baltimore lined up to stop the run and dared them to pass the ball, locking down Crabtree and VD. This team does not nearly have enough playmakers. Meanwhile, they've got a very good starter at CB in Brown, an up-and-coming player in Culliver who had some rough moments but has all the talent and ability. You have a veteran in Rogers, you add in a rookie CB like Alford who could be a starter a couple seasons down the road, and you're set at CB.

The best FS will be in the middle end of the 1st.
The some of the best CB's after Milliner will go in the top of the 2nd.

This is awfully presumptive don't you think? The "best FS" could also be the highest picked bust. If there's anything this draft has a ton of, its quality safeties. As far as CB, there could be 3 or 4 that go in the 1st round. Behind Milliner you have Banks, Trufant, Rhodes...etc. Once again, you have a lot of depth at cornerback, late in the second you'll have guys like Alford, Poyer, McFadden and more. However there's only one Tevon Austin in this entire draft, with the kind of ability and skills that he possesses.

The whole 2nd round will be full of WR's that could help.

Tavon Austin will not do as much for the Niners as a premium FS or CB would.

This mock is assuming that Goldson returns. This is also assuming that Banks and Trufant have already been selected...at that point, Alford is arguably the best remaining cornerback. This mock also adds depth in Shawn Williams who could be starting at SS for the 49ers within a year, so you're adding depth there in that regard.

So I disagree with your premise, Austin, playing on offense, making huge plays, scoring touchdowns, returning kicks will have far more impact on this team's success than a backup safety or cornerback would.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2013 at 8:27 PM ]