There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Un-Phoenix 49ers Mock Draft

Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
no one big like a Louis Murphy?Brandon Gibson type on the cheap. Our defense has to many wholes DT & Safety are gonna be addressed early imo. Draft 1 but not 2.

I like the thought of adding Gibson, but none of those players is a potential difference-maker, they are all solid #3 WR's at best.

I also don't see all these holes in the defense like you are saying. Add Richard Seymour and you've got depth at DE. Re-sign Soap, draft Hughes, along with Ian Williams,better off overall at NT.

In the secondary, Rogers won't be cut, his savings would be minimal, so its the same group coming back, minus Brock, who would be replaced by Alford, I see that as a huge plus and Alford as a potential replacement for Brown if they can't re-sign him or Rogers if they do cut him a year or two down the road.

I see both Goldson and Whitner returning. No point in the 49ers cutting an experienced safety like Whitner just because. His contract is up at the end of next season, at which point he would be allowed to walk and Williams would take over his spot after having had a year to develop.

Beyond that, what are these holes that you're seeing on the defense? They are set at linebacker, set at CB with Brown and Culliver for now. Set at DE with Ray McDonald and Justin Smith. Obviously they need a potential replacement for Justin and I'd love to see the 49ers acquire a stud 3-4 DE but I just don't see any that will likely be available if Datone Jones goes early, if thats the case, they might as well make the offense more explosive.

This defense as is, will one of the best in the NFL again, ranking at the very top, if you can make this offense more dynamic, that's a hell of a difficult matchup for virtually every team out there. I know the visceral response is to blame the defense after the Superbowl, but if the 49ers don't give up that kick return to Jacoby Jones, if they have more depth at DE, if their offensive is more explosive and dynamic, there's no way they lose that game.

The way I look at it, this team needs:

1. Playmakers on offense, particularly those who can excel in the red-zone. Austin with his insane quickness and Rogers with his strength and size, both foot the bill.

2. Depth on defense. Adding Seymour, Logan, Collins, Alford and Williams covers depth.

3. Improved special teams coverage-You add Alford, Thomas and Collins to the special teams and let them use their athletic abilities to light people up. Additionally now you've got a lot of potential returners. Austin, LaMichael James, Alford, Kyle Williams.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2013 at 6:06 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I like the thought of adding Gibson, but none of those players is a potential difference-maker, they are all solid #3 WR's at best.

I also don't see all these holes in the defense like you are saying. Add Richard Seymour and you've got depth at DE. Re-sign Soap, draft Hughes, along with Ian Williams,better off overall at NT.

In the secondary, Rogers won't be cut, his savings would be minimal, so its the same group coming back, minus Brock, who would be replaced by Alford, I see that as a huge plus and Alford as a potential replacement for Brown if they can't re-sign him or Rogers if they do cut him a year or two down the road.

I see both Goldson and Whitner returning. No point in the 49ers cutting an experienced safety like Whitner just because. His contract is up at the end of next season, at which point he would be allowed to walk and Williams would take over his spot after having had a year to develop.

Beyond that, what are these holes that you're seeing on the defense? They are set at linebacker, set at CB with Brown and Culliver for now. Set at DE with Ray McDonald and Justin Smith. Obviously they need a potential replacement for Justin and I'd love to see the 49ers acquire a stud 3-4 DE but I just don't see any that will likely be available if Datone Jones goes early, if thats the case, they might as well make the offense more explosive.

This defense as is, will one of the best in the NFL again, ranking at the very top, if you can make this offense more dynamic, that's a hell of a difficult matchup for virtually every team out there. I know the visceral response is to blame the defense after the Superbowl, but if the 49ers don't give up that kick return to Jacoby Jones, if they have more depth at DE, if their offensive is more explosive and dynamic, there's no way they lose that game.

1. Playmakers on offense, particularly those who can excel in the red-zone. Austin with his insane quickness and Rogers with his strength and size, both foot the bill.

2. Depth on defense. Adding Seymour, Logan, Collins, Alford and Williams covers depth.

3. Improved special teams coverage-You add Alford, Thomas and Collins to the special teams and let them use their athletic abilities to light people up.

I agree with your team needs. I don't understand why people think we don't need WRs. We simply don't have playmakers outside of Crab and Davis. I'm hoping Jenkins will be another playmaker but besides that Manningham and Williams are both depth guys and who knows how the injury will effect them. I don't feel confidant with just Crab and Davis as the only guys that can get 100+ yards in a game and anyone that does is delusional.

I think with the defense we should definitly grab one of the top teir NT Jenkins, Hankins, or Williams and than hit depth in the 3rd round like you did with Bennie Logan. We get a solid back up and hopefully a future starter(McDonald is from LSU just like Logan). I also think we need a beastly pass rusher. Im kinda hoping we get the BPA pass rusher at 31.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I agree with your team needs. I don't understand why people think we don't need WRs. We simply don't have playmakers outside of Crab and Davis. I'm hoping Jenkins will be another playmaker but besides that Manningham and Williams are both depth guys and who knows how the injury will effect them. I don't feel confidant with just Crab and Davis as the only guys that can get 100+ yards in a game and anyone that does is delusional.

I agree and have done so for awhile. If you're contending for a title, you can't simply base part of your offense on hoping the lightbulb goes on upstairs for Jenkins. Austin and Rogers sets this team up for years to come and they'd be potentially able to overcome the disaster that would be should they not be able to re-sign Crabtree for whatever reason. People put too much stock into the notion that these are early picks, I think they are vital additions for an explosive offense. Kaepernick has the abilities as a franchise QB, give him some weapons to play with besides Crabtree and VD.

I think with the defense we should definitly grab one of the top teir NT Jenkins, Hankins, or Williams and than hit depth in the 3rd round like you did with Bennie Logan. We get a solid back up and hopefully a future starter(McDonald is from LSU just like Logan). I also think we need a beastly pass rusher. Im kinda hoping we get the BPA pass rusher at 31.

Well.....hehe, I avoided Brandon Williams in this mock specifically because I was trying to go with new players, but I think he could be moved up for with the early 3rd round draft pick. If they acquire him and Logan, that is solid. Also, not nit-picking or trying to be a smartass, but McDonald didn't come from LSU, RJF did. :)
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2013 at 6:15 PM ]
I don't mind loading up on WR. As a matter of fact the more I think about it, the more I like it. I love the Seymore idea. The Dline is still my biggest concern. Hopefully, the guys we have on PS are ready to step up as well.
Originally posted by eonblue:

3. Improved special teams coverage-You add Alford, Thomas and Collins to the special teams and let them use their athletic abilities to light people up.

I do understand I like Crabtree & Gibson & Tavon Austin as a good line of Wr's with Manningham, Williams & Lockette bench with our RBs & O-line is gonna be beast. Our defense is in Need badly from DT, DE, CB & Safety I don't believe Goldson will be back & you can add another pick on that imo because we got CK7 & Crabtree extensions coming soon. I believe we are signing TE Walker back.
I agree with you Phoenix on goldson returning but whitner got to go imo. I live in buffalo and I seen him play in his years with the bills and he was just as terrible in coverage. He's the 49er I want to see leave most next to akers
I do understand I like Crabtree & Gibson & Tavon Austin as a good line of Wr's with Manningham, Williams & Lockette bench with our RBs & O-line is gonna be beast. Our defense is in Need badly from DT, DE, CB & Safety I don't believe Goldson will be back & you can add another pick on that imo because we got CK7 & Crabtree extensions coming soon. I believe we are signing TE Walker back.

I don't think Goldson is going anywhere, the 49ers will let him shop around, as before, and he'll realize that they aren't actually low-balling him. If you add Austin and Rogers, there's no need for Walker, Gragg and Celek will suffice as TE's behind VD.

Also, explain this phrase: "Need badly from DT, DE, CB & Safety"

DE-You add Seymour and Logan......how much of a need do you have behind that? Its not like there's a JJ Watt that will be awaiting the 49ers in this draft.

NT-They can add a guy like Brandon Williams obviously, but its going to be a part-time player eitherway.

CB-How many CB's do you need beyond Alford? Culliver and Brown will continue to be starters, Rogers isn't going anywhere, plus there's Cox. The secondary wasn't a problem until Justin Smith got injured.

Safety-Whitner is a liability in coverage, it is what it is. Goldson gets brought back, and they'll be fine going with the two safeties that helped them get to the Superbowl. You add better depth with Williams, plus Trent Robinson will continue to develop. Next year, Whitner walks and Williams becomes the starter.

Originally posted by Mann716:
I agree with you Phoenix on goldson returning but whitner got to go imo. I live in buffalo and I seen him play in his years with the bills and he was just as terrible in coverage. He's the 49er I want to see leave most next to akers

I just don't think they'll cut him, not with as risk-averse as they are. Yes Whitner is a liability, but realistically, he brings a lot of good things to the table. I would like him to be replaced as well, but as hard as I try, I can't see anyway that he's not on this roster next season. You draft a rookie to develop behind him and replace him when his contract is up.
I'd be shocked if the 49ers don't go heavy on the Beef early and often.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I'd be shocked if the 49ers don't go heavy on the Beef early and often.

I don't think the talent is there. Last year was a different story, in lieu of Jenkins they could have taken Kendall Reyes or Derek Wolfe. This year....the top 3-4 players will likely be gone. At that point, you're either reaching for guys, or hoping and praying on projects such as Hunt. I'd say f**k it, make the offensive super explosive and go light teams up like a Christmas tree on a regular basis.

This team needs more playmakers on offense, that much is clear. The 49ers lost to Baltimore after having the ball on the 7 yard line and were unable to punch it in after 4 attempts....that has to change.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2013 at 7:03 PM ]

I don't think Goldson is going anywhere, the 49ers will let him shop around, as before, and he'll realize that they aren't actually low-balling him. If you add Austin and Rogers, there's no need for Walker, Gragg and Celek will suffice as TE's behind VD.

Also, explain this phrase: "Need badly from DT, DE, CB & Safety"

DE-You add Seymour and Logan......how much of a need do you have behind that? Its not like there's a JJ Watt that will be awaiting the 49ers in this draft.

NT-They can add a guy like Brandon Williams obviously, but its going to be a part-time player eitherway.

CB-How many CB's do you need beyond Alford? Culliver and Brown will continue to be starters, Rogers isn't going anywhere, plus there's Cox. The secondary wasn't a problem until Justin Smith got injured.

Safety-Whitner is a liability in coverage, it is what it is. Goldson gets brought back, and they'll be fine going with the two safeties that helped them get to the Superbowl. You add better depth with Williams, plus Trent Robinson will continue to develop. Next year, Whitner walks and Williams becomes the starter.

Once free agency comes we shall know more of course is all speculation on both of parts. I do like us signing Richard Seymour thou he would bring that tough asset we need.
Once free agency comes we shall know more of course is all speculation on both of parts. I do like us signing Richard Seymour thou he would bring that tough asset we need.

I love the idea of Seymour as someone who could play a lot of effective snaps at DE for the 49ers next season.
Nicely done. Despite it being a little controversial, I like the idea of adding Austin and Rogers. I obviously don't think it's necessary or our biggest need, but it'd definitely add a dynamic element to our passing game.
I also think you're onto something with the Seymour signing. Given his age and the fact that he's been wasting away in Oakland, we might be able to get him at a very solid price. And I think he has more than enough left in the tank to contribute for us as a rotational 3-4 DE.

Plus, it never hurts to add veterans with championship experience.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Nicely done. Despite it being a little controversial, I like the idea of adding Austin and Rogers. I obviously don't think it's necessary or our biggest need, but it'd definitely add a dynamic element to our passing game.

My thought was that if Moss is gone, they still need that deep threat, a reason to keep a safety back and Austin is that guy. Plus his athletic ability allows for an almost unlimited amount of different types of screens, end-arounds and more. Now you add in Rogers who's a possession receiver has YAC ability just like Crabtree but is bigger and far more physical, kind of like an Anquan Boldin type. Along with VD, now you can attack defenses from every single angle possible and become far more dangerous in the redzone.

Its something that pissed me off during the Atlanta game, seeing their defenders running around and saying "stop, the TE, that's all they've got, they ain't got nothing else." And some of that is trash talk, but there's also a truth to it. If you can lock down Crabtree and VD, this offense becomes utterly helpless, but if you add in Austin and Rogers, now you've added another dimension and have become a real nightmare to defense.