LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

49ers on the clock, what would you do?

Trade back. Someone will want to trade up for their QB IMO.

If no trade partner, i would probably take the TE.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Mar 1, 2013 at 2:37 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
The coverage was very good. Although I liked the strip, he seemed tentative as a tackler, and WAY too content to stay blocked. In this game, I don' think that he showed the aggressive physicality that Baalke tends to look for in our defenders. JMO.

That's one of the big advantages that Banks has over Trufant.....more physical, better at pressing WR's, so if Banks isn't physical enough..............just saying.

Pressing a WR and shedding a block are different. I didn't see the aggressive effort to free himself from blocks by WRs to get to the ball carrier and make a play. To me, that is as much about attitude and will as it is about physical ability. Antonio Winfield is a midget, but he sheds blocks and closes aggressively on ball carriers. Hopefully, it is just a technique issue that can be coached up with Banks, because he shadows like a champ for a big man and he tracks the ball very well.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
LOL I've been telling him that in the Margus Hunt page.

Why, because I have the opinion that Hunt is a hot, steaming pile of garbage? Go take your butt-hurt elsewhere.
Pressing a WR and shedding a block are different. I didn't see the aggressive effort to free himself from blocks by WRs to get to the ball carrier and make a play. To me, that is as much about attitude and will as it is about physical ability. Antonio Winfield is a midget, but he sheds blocks and closes aggressively on ball carriers. Hopefully, it is just a technique issue that can be coached up with Banks, because he shadows like a champ for a big man and he tracks the ball very well.

Here's a clip of him against Auburn, on the 2nd INT it almost looks like he was baiting the QB to throw the ball and he jumped all over it.

#!
According to who and for what reason?

Banks was ranked at the top of the draft boards all season long but Trufant has a few good workouts and all of a sudden he's on top? Performance wise in college, Banks was the better player. If Banks falls to 31, some GM's really do deserve to be fired.

I like Trufant, but would never take him over Banks. Dontari Poe moved up A LOT of spots simply based on his offseason workouts last year......it didn't work out so great for the Chiefs considering the talent they could have had.

Lol. Typical Phoenix. Make excuses for his dude and try to minimize the accomplishments of the prospect he doesn't like. Most analysts have Tru ranked above Banks. Banks ran a laughable 40 and Trufant killed it. Trufant put up a great display at the Senior Bowl. I'm not saying Trufant is better but it's only natural that given the past 2 months that Trufant is ranked higher.
LOL I've been telling him that in the Margus Hunt page.

Why, because I have the opinion that Hunt is a hot, steaming pile of garbage? Go take your butt-hurt elsewhere.

Take it easy, I was yanking your chain. You have this opinion on Hunt, and I've argued with you endlessly this entire week on it, that I'm keeping my mind open on drafting him because I have confidence in this coaching staff to get the most out of his potential. You, on the other hand, refuses to think that coaching will help him at all in the pros.

Am I butt-hurt that you don't agree? No, not at all. Everyone has their own opinions even though I disagree with you on a few. Actual scouts and draft analysts, guys that actually watch tape and HAVE the tape, think Hunt is a top 5 player at his respective position. Even prior to the combine, he was still considered top 10 in his position. I set up valid arguments in the other thread that you refused to even discuss besides mentioning that he was a workout warrior. I mentioned games that I watched where he played well and you bring up his questioned consistency.

I said this before and I'll say it again, GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE.
Originally posted by eonblue:
According to who and for what reason?

Banks was ranked at the top of the draft boards all season long but Trufant has a few good workouts and all of a sudden he's on top? Performance wise in college, Banks was the better player. If Banks falls to 31, some GM's really do deserve to be fired.

I like Trufant, but would never take him over Banks. Dontari Poe moved up A LOT of spots simply based on his offseason workouts last year......it didn't work out so great for the Chiefs considering the talent they could have had.

Lol. Typical Phoenix. Make excuses for his dude and try to minimize the accomplishments of the prospect he doesn't like. Most analysts have Tru ranked above Banks. Banks ran a laughable 40 and Trufant killed it. Trufant put up a great display at the Senior Bowl. I'm not saying Trufant is better but it's only natural that given the past 2 months that Trufant is ranked higher.

I agree with this. Typical Phoenix.

Although I still feel that drafting Banks or Trufant would be great for this team.
Originally posted by eonblue:

I don't disagree with that, its obvious he'd be ranked higher, especially since Banks was injured. I still think Banks is the better player. Call me crazy but I don't think you should go from being ranked in the Top 15 to dropping out of the 1st round after 1 bad workout. If Banks is around at #31, he represents crazy value at that point.

If you notice anything about the players I tend to like, I look at guys who were productive in college, who were playmakers, leaders on either side of the ball, I generally ignore offseason hype and guys running 40's in their shorts and sneakers. To me, the most accurate representation of what a guy will look like at the next level is still his actual performances out on the field, hype aside. Not one or two games, but his actual bodywork of work throughout college.

Its the crazy sort of obsession over timed speed that led to Richard Sherman being a 5th rounder. He was supposedly too slow, not fluid enough, would have to play safety in the NFL, probably wouldn't make it...etc..etc. His 4.56 40 made it impossible for him to keep up with faster WR's.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Trade back and get a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year. That will give us 5 picks in the top 100 again next year.

Here's a clip of him against Auburn, on the 2nd INT it almost looks like he was baiting the QB to throw the ball and he jumped all over it.

#!

Not sure what the point of this clip was. I don't think it showed any new or contrasting qualities form the last clip. I saw more good coverage and poor physicality. I saw him getting dominated by WR blocks, and failing to square up and engage when he was free. The Asante Samuel-esque Ole attempt on the KR was embarrassing. At ~1:22, he successfully sheds the block (only time on this clip he does so), only to get pushed aside for an additional 3-4 yards. There was no attempt to hit and wrap at all. Like I said before, hopefully most of these issues are technique, not contact shyness, because he is a talented, large cover corner. It just seems from our history that Baalke expects EVERYONE on the defense to play tougher than that.
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM ]

One thing I'm worried about with Banks is his ability to make the open field tackle. His mechanics are poor and he goes for the arm tackles. He covers real well and he jams the receivers well, but I want to make sure he's physical enough to make the sure fire tackles.
Not sure what the point of this clip was. I don't think it showed any new or contrasting qualities form the last clip. I saw more good coverage and poor physicality. I saw him getting dominated by WR blocks, and failing to square up and engage when he was free. The Asante Samuel-esque Ole attempt on the KR was embarrassing. At ~1:22, he successfully sheds the block (only time on this clip he does so), only to get pushed aside for an additional 3-4 yards. There was no attempt to hit and wrap at all. Like I said before, hopefully most of these issues are technique, not contact shyness, because he is a talented, large cover corner. It just seems from our history that Baalke expects EVERYONE on the defense to play tougher than that.

True, but I think a large degree of that is coachable, his coverage ability and him showing up around the ball all the time is a combination of ability and instinct. His coverage skills are outstanding, especially after having gone up against the best WR's in the SEC repeatedly. If you look at some of those plays in the clip I posted, he got moved around all over that defense, as a former safety, he's got a lot of versatility and is actually a pretty hard hitter if you've seen some of his other games.

I don't know that he shys away from contact, the biggest that sticks out to me is that he could stand to add some more weight, another 5-6 pounds would help tremendously I think.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM ]
One thing I'm worried about with Banks is his ability to make the open field tackle. His mechanics are poor and he goes for the arm tackles. He covers real well and he jams the receivers well, but I want to make sure he's physical enough to make the sure fire tackles.

He goes too high when he tries to tackle, he's in position to make tackles and sometimes he looks tremendous, in that clip against Tennessee, he comes all the way from the other side of the field to make a very good tackle on Justin Hunter who we know is no slouch when it comes to his speed, but that's certainly an area that he needs to improve on, taking much better overall angles, using his length better.
I am not going to even try and fanthom what Baalke is going to do. All I will say, with all this ammo there won't be a dry spell of waiting. The only true prediction that can be made is that the niners will be super busy and they better have backup phones in working order.

Baalke is willing to trade, but I can't see him making a huge leap up. A few slots at best. Here's hoping everything falls into place. That we get KC's #2, that we get comp pick at the end of the third instead of the forth. That would be 1-1st, 2-2nds and 3-Threes. Then with the extra latter picks, use all but the comp picks to move up as needed in the 2nd and 3rd.

I could see the first being traded for a 2nd and 3rd. then trading one of the seconds for someone #1 next year.Then using all the 4-7 picks that are not comp picks to move up as needed in the second and 3rd. If we get a 3rd round comp. that would give us 5 picks in the 2nd and 3 rounds and next year we will have 2 number ones.

We are going to need a lot of picks to contribute next year with so many FAs to replace. Plus depending on who do we cut that is still signed, like Ackers and PH.
Really don't think we get rid of Rodgers at least this year since he is sort of cap friendly at least till we have someone to replace him. I think if we can get a Bull up the middle to collapse the pocket and spell our DT on passing downs the DB's will look good again.

Lots of DL and DBs will be taken and this is a good year for that position as far as depth in the draft. Plus we can't forget those from last year who just happen to be injured, can't write them off.

He goes too high when he tries to tackle, he's in position to make tackles and sometimes he looks tremendous, in that clip against Tennessee, he comes all the way from the other side of the field to make a very good tackle on Justin Hunter who we know is no slouch when it comes to his speed, but that's certainly an area that he needs to improve on, taking much better overall angles, using his length better.

The mechanics are things that can be coached. I think it's better to work on a player that consistently attempts arm tackles rather than big hits because they tend to learn to tackle better. I'll be happy with Banks at 31.
Share 49ersWebzone