LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

49ers on the clock, what would you do?

Jesse Williams at #31, Jamar Taylor at #34
I'd probably go with Jesse Williams at that point. He's big, athletic, and versitile as he can play NT or DE in our 3-4 D. I am hoping for Datone Jones,but think that Williams is the way to go if he is gone.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I'd probably go with Jesse Williams at that point. He's big, athletic, and versitile as he can play NT or DE in our 3-4 D. I am hoping for Datone Jones,but think that Williams is the way to go if he is gone.

But homeboy has YOLO tattooed on his face doe
I'm rooting for them to not draft someone that tattooed YOLO on his face.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
One thing I'm worried about with Banks is his ability to make the open field tackle. His mechanics are poor and he goes for the arm tackles. He covers real well and he jams the receivers well, but I want to make sure he's physical enough to make the sure fire tackles.

He goes too high when he tries to tackle, he's in position to make tackles and sometimes he looks tremendous, in that clip against Tennessee, he comes all the way from the other side of the field to make a very good tackle on Justin Hunter who we know is no slouch when it comes to his speed, but that's certainly an area that he needs to improve on, taking much better overall angles, using his length better.

The mechanics are things that can be coached. I think it's better to work on a player that consistently attempts arm tackles rather than big hits because they tend to learn to tackle better. I'll be happy with Banks at 31.

I like my boy Jorday Poyer in the 2nd/3rd very fundamentally sound
Originally posted by guillotine31:

Seriously?! Why are you drafting Jamar Taylor at #34? He's going to be around 3rd round for sure.
Originally posted by kush:
Alex Okafor
Tavon Austin
DeAndre Hopkins
Tyler Eifert
Jesse Williams
J. Banks

You could not f**k this one up if you tried.

I'm intrigued by Okafor but any of these guys would light my fire and then another a few picks later!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I'm intrigued by Okafor but any of these guys would light my fire and then another a few picks later!

I kno right! They tried to draft a second pass rusher last year with Bruce Irvin but it didn't workout. I mean its been identified that when the pass rush doesn't get their our secondary implodes so why not draft a guy like Okafor. He's a better pass rusher than Brooks so we could throw him in there on passing down and let him pin his ear back the first year. This guy reminds me alot of Aldon. Same measurables, very humble attitude, and ruthless pass rushers. If Tomsula could convert this guy like he did Smith we would be instoppable.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by eonblue:
Lol. Typical Phoenix. Make excuses for his dude and try to minimize the accomplishments of the prospect he doesn't like. Most analysts have Tru ranked above Banks. Banks ran a laughable 40 and Trufant killed it. Trufant put up a great display at the Senior Bowl. I'm not saying Trufant is better but it's only natural that given the past 2 months that Trufant is ranked higher.

I don't disagree with that, its obvious he'd be ranked higher, especially since Banks was injured. I still think Banks is the better player. Call me crazy but I don't think you should go from being ranked in the Top 15 to dropping out of the 1st round after 1 bad workout. If Banks is around at #31, he represents crazy value at that point.

If you notice anything about the players I tend to like, I look at guys who were productive in college, who were playmakers, leaders on either side of the ball, I generally ignore offseason hype and guys running 40's in their shorts and sneakers. To me, the most accurate representation of what a guy will look like at the next level is still his actual performances out on the field, hype aside. Not one or two games, but his actual bodywork of work throughout college.

Its the crazy sort of obsession over timed speed that led to Richard Sherman being a 5th rounder. He was supposedly too slow, not fluid enough, would have to play safety in the NFL, probably wouldn't make it...etc..etc. His 4.56 40 made it impossible for him to keep up with faster WR's.

So let me get this straight. I say that Trufant has passed Banks in the rankings and you say "who and for what reason" like I said something ridculously stupid. Now you say that its "obvious that he would be ranked higher" This is why people get upset with you.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kush:
1) Baalke would question taking Trufant, he has stated he values pass rushers more than dbs and personally I agree. 2011 - our pass rush is dynamic, everyone loves our dbs. 2012 - our pass rush suffers at the end of the year, everyone realizes our dbs are trash around the same time.

2) I totally agree, with the depth this draft has from the 2-4 rounds, we could do a whole lot worse than to stand pat and take the bpa at each of our spots.

3) I think 5 or 6 of these guys are "way too good to pass up here". I always compare draft prospects to flavors of ice cream...everyone sas their own preference for taste. What I love about the mock above is it seems there are quality players no matter what flavor you're looking for -

Austin (dynamic offensive weapon and st ace)
Hopkins (outside receiver who can start from day one and run every route in your playbook well)
Trufant (talented cb who can provide depth and even possibly challenge for a spot)
Jesse Williams (hulking dlineman who can step in and replace what Soap did from day one while he develops his raw pass rushing skills)
Alex Okafor (pass rusher who can spell Aldon and Brooks)
Eifert (a TE with skills that compliment VD)

Austen would make me most happy, although I could live happily with Williams, Hopkins, or Eifert.

Trufant was impressive in the Senior Bowl, but he only had six picks in 50 games.
Last year, there were 6 players on the Washington squad that had more picks than Trufant.

Darius Slay, who we could get later in the draft, had 6 picks in 26 games.

Alex Okafor would play outside linebacker for us. Using a first round pick on a back-up OLB would be a mistake, at least in my estimation.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 1, 2013 at 6:44 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
So let me get this straight. I say that Trufant has passed Banks in the rankings and you say "who and for what reason" like I said something ridculously stupid. Now you say that its "obvious that he would be ranked higher" This is why people get upset with you.

I meant "who and what for what reason" in the rhetorical sense. He hasn't passed Banks because of anything that happened in actual football games.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2013 at 6:47 PM ]
I'm going outside the box, go for Ezekial Ansah. It would not surprise me if he goes top 10. If he stays in a manageable draft slot, 18-25, our first and and maybe a second or third would do it. This guy is the next Aldon Smith or even Jason Pierre Paul. The GM that takes him will look like a genius. Baalke and Coach like them lean and mean, Ziggy would put the D in the stratosphere.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
I kno right! They tried to draft a second pass rusher last year with Bruce Irvin but it didn't workout. I mean its been identified that when the pass rush doesn't get their our secondary implodes so why not draft a guy like Okafor. He's a better pass rusher than Brooks so we could throw him in there on passing down and let him pin his ear back the first year. This guy reminds me alot of Aldon. Same measurables, very humble attitude, and ruthless pass rushers. If Tomsula could convert this guy like he did Smith we would be instoppable.

Are you sure that Tomsula converted Aldon Smith into a linebacker?

I do not know for sure, but Tomusula is the defensive line coach. The linebacker coach is Jim Leavitt.
Trade up and draft Sheldon Richardson.
Share 49ersWebzone