LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 205 users in the forums

49ers on the clock, what would you do?

Originally posted by SF69ers:
Banks and Trufant is like 1a or 1b as far as being available at 31. I'd lean towards Banks because I like his size to be able to compete with receivers like Larry Fitz and the ATL boys.

I don't think you lose with either of those guys, but Banks, wow, I watched this guy play and I never ever thought for a second he'd be available to the 49ers. Back in December I saw him going in the Top 10 of the draft. He hasn't played since then due to a knee injury and had a poor Combine outing, but to see him drop that far down the boards.....if that really happens, its another example of where pro evaluators let measurables and timed speeds influence their decision way too much.

I remember when Joe Haden ran a 4.58 40 and he was being criticized as being super "slow", and yet he's one of the top CB's in the NFL right now. Some had him dropping into the 20s, Browns took him early anyways and I don't think they've regretted it one bit.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
NFL.com
"Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State: Banks suffered through a miserable workout in front of a sizable contingent of coaches, scouts and general managers. The Mississippi State star ran a pedestrian 4.61-second 40-yard dash, logged just 10 reps on the bench press and failed to display impressive movement skills in the positional workout. The combination of disappointing numbers raised more questions about Banks' ability to keep up with explosive receivers on the perimeter. Although Banks still has an opportunity to make amends at his pro day in a few weeks, he will certainly see his stock dip a little after the combine."

Guy dominates on the field, dominated one half the field in games, was widely considered the best cornerback in college football, and all that gets overriden by one bad Combine? Like I said.....this is how busts form, overlooking actual game performance to look at how guys do in shorts and sneakers. This is how Dontari Poe went from mid 2nd rounder to early 1st rounder in a span of a couple months because he looked good in shorts.
I think at this point a quarterback needy team would want to trade up and grab one of the undrafted guys. I'd take a 2014 1st and move back a few spots. We could do this and still get one of the guys we want. Getting in that Clowney sweepstakes for next year would be awesome. Can you imagine him and Aldon in the field together? Most QB's on the league would be pissing their pants!
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
I think at this point a quarterback needy team would want to trade up and grab one of the undrafted guys. I'd take a 2014 1st and move back a few spots. We could do this and still get one of the guys we want. Getting in that Clowney sweepstakes for next year would be awesome. Can you imagine him and Aldon in the field together? Most QB's on the league would be pissing their pants!

So wait, you're under the impression that a team will trade you a 2014 1st round pick and give you a decent 2nd rounder in this draft as well? Seriously?

If the 49ers trade back about 10-12 spots, the best they can really hope for is a 3rd rounder this year or possibly a 2nd rounder next year. When the Colts moved up for Tony Ugoh, they gave the 49ers a 1st round pick the following year, plus a 4th rounder in that draft.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM ]
I'd take the best "big" on the board...not sure all the guys you showed will be gone by then, but if they are, I'd say Jesse Williams.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Banks and Trufant is like 1a or 1b as far as being available at 31. I'd lean towards Banks because I like his size to be able to compete with receivers like Larry Fitz and the ATL boys.

I don't think you lose with either of those guys, but Banks, wow, I watched this guy play and I never ever thought for a second he'd be available to the 49ers. Back in December I saw him going in the Top 10 of the draft. He hasn't played since then due to a knee injury and had a poor Combine outing, but to see him drop that far down the boards.....if that really happens, its another example of where pro evaluators let measurables and timed speeds influence their decision way too much.

I remember when Joe Haden ran a 4.58 40 and he was being criticized as being super "slow", and yet he's one of the top CB's in the NFL right now. Some had him dropping into the 20s, Browns took him early anyways and I don't think they've regretted it one bit.

The level of competition he faced in college should be something that scouts will be looking at, for sure. Like you said, and I agree (shocker), Banks was considered a top 15 pick prior to the end of the season, even higher than Dee Milliner. I brought up Joe Haden a couple times as an example, too. Shouldn't let a bad combine dictate the decision. I fully expect him to be gone once we pick after he performs better at his pro day.
The level of competition he faced in college should be something that scouts will be looking at, for sure. Like you said, and I agree (shocker), Banks was considered a top 15 pick prior to the end of the season, even higher than Dee Milliner. I brought up Joe Haden a couple times as an example, too. Shouldn't let a bad combine dictate the decision. I fully expect him to be gone once we pick after he performs better at his pro day.

I think part of the issue is that he's still coming off a knee injury, its why he wasn't at the Senior Bowl for example. If he's there at 31, if I'm Baalke, I'd f**king run through people to get to the phone and couldn't call it in soon enough.

I think part of the issue is that he's still coming off a knee injury, its why he wasn't at the Senior Bowl for example. If he's there at 31, if I'm Baalke, I'd f**king run through people to get to the phone and couldn't call it in soon enough.

All I gotta say is that I'll be happy if our first four picks fell like this:

Jonathan Banks
Margus Hunt
Brandon Williams
Da'Rick Rogers
  • pd24
  • Veteran

Jonathan Banks
Margus Hunt
Brandon Williams
Da'Rick Rogers

and add a FS with the late 3rd round pick and Ill call that a solid draft.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think Trufant has passed him up now.

According to who and for what reason?

Banks was ranked at the top of the draft boards all season long but Trufant has a few good workouts and all of a sudden he's on top? Performance wise in college, Banks was the better player. If Banks falls to 31, some GM's really do deserve to be fired.

I like Trufant, but would never take him over Banks. Dontari Poe moved up A LOT of spots simply based on his offseason workouts last year......it didn't work out so great for the Chiefs considering the talent they could have had.

Well.. to answer your question. NFL Draftscout has Trufant ranked 20th and Banks 30th. Mayock had them 3-4 before the combine but I would guess there is a great chance that Trufant goes ahead after this combine. Trufant shined at both the Senior Bowl and the combine.

As for the reason............ SPEED.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
3 questions with this:1. Who would pick at 31? 2. If trading up, when and how would you have done it? 3. What do you think Baalke would do?

I'd trade the 31st to the team most likely to pick #1 in next year's draft - Raiders or Jets - I'm sure there will be other teams who could fit that description.

If trading up, I'd go for Datene or Sheldon.

I think Baalke Trades the pick.
I was contemplating this. Trading our 1rst and 3rd in exchange for the Jets/Raiders 2nd and Next years 1rst. The 2nd round allows the benefit of reorganizing the draft board and reconsider players that fell out of the 1rst round.

Size is overvalued in the draft process. Can't recall a player under 5'10 drafted in the 1rst. Datone Jones is a tweener that I can see slip past the 1rst, though I'm really liking what Sheldon Richarson brings to the table but got this feeling Tavon Austin will be the steal of the draft.
Originally posted by pd24:

Jonathan Banks
Margus Hunt
Brandon Williams
Da'Rick Rogers

and add a FS with the late 3rd round pick and Ill call that a solid draft.

Select Bacarri Rambo after Da'Rick Rogers. Draft winners = Niners if it fell that way.
Originally posted by 228niner:
best DT @ 31, best CB @ 34 or vice versa, get ramses barden in FA and draft a WR in the later rounds

228Niner is on point. If we can grab Jamar Taylor at no .34 and a big ugly NT at 31, I'd be really happy. Ramses in FA is a great, underrated call.
Well.. to answer your question. NFL Draftscout has Trufant ranked 20th and Banks 30th. Mayock had them 3-4 before the combine but I would guess there is a great chance that Trufant goes ahead after this combine. Trufant shined at both the Senior Bowl and the combine.

Like I care what NFL Draftscout has them ranked. Banks was ranked in the Top 15 of the draft by everyone while Trufant was ranked in the late 1st/early 2nd and now all of a sudden, one workout overrides years of great play? I don't think so. You seem to be insinuating that having one great offseason erases everything before it, where Banks was a great cornerback and Trufant was a good, albeit unspectacular cornerback.

Like I said, this how Dontari Poe moved up the draft boards last year, because he blew up at the Combine and people took greater stock of what his timed speeds were, overruling his performance on the field.

40 times are also a crappy indicator. That is reading too much into guys wearing shorts and sneakers. Joe Haden a 4.58 40 at the Combine and there was tons of hand-wringing and moaning and crying and draft boards like NFLDraftScout had him falling into the 20s even. Browns ignored all that, picked him, and now this "slow cornerback who needs to move to safety" is one of the very best in the NFL. Meanwhile Taylor Mays ran a 4.24 unofficially and he couldn't cover a 65 year old man using a walking cane.

I like Trufant a lot, but Banks....I mean, damn, that's a huge steal to get that guy at 31. If you told me a year ago that the 49ers could have Banks, I would have been depressed because I would have assumed that they must have just had a very lousy season.

Ideally, 49ers could troll the NFL and take both Banks and Trufant. Move either Culliver or Banks to free safety, let Rogers ride off into the sunset.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM ]

Like I care what NFL Draftscout has them ranked. Banks was ranked in the Top 15 of the draft by everyone while Trufant was ranked in the late 1st/early 2nd and now all of a sudden, one workout overrides years of great play? I don't think so. You seem to be insinuating that having one great offseason erases everything before it, where Banks was a great cornerback and Trufant was a good, albeit unspectacular cornerback.

Like I said, this how Dontari Poe moved up the draft boards last year, because he blew up at the Combine and people took greater stock of what his timed speeds were, overruling his performance on the field.

40 times are also a crappy indicator. That is reading too much into guys wearing shorts and sneakers. Joe Haden a 4.58 40 at the Combine and there was tons of hand-wringing and moaning and crying and draft boards like NFLDraftScout had him falling into the 20s even. Browns ignored all that, picked him, and now this "slow cornerback who needs to move to safety" is one of the very best in the NFL. Meanwhile Taylor Mays ran a 4.24 unofficially and he couldn't cover a 65 year old man using a walking cane.

Ideally, 49ers could troll the NFL and take both Banks and Trufant. Move either Culliver or Banks to free safety, let Rogers ride off into the sunset.

Cool it with your know it all attitude. You asked who ranked Trufant higher and I told you. NFL Draftscout is actually one of the better sites. Mayock ( who we both know knows more than either of us had them ranked 3-4 BEFORE the combine. We will see if his rankings change now.

Scouts, Inc also has Trufant as a #1 pick (ranked 32) and Banks below. It doesnt mean that one will be WAY better than the other. It just means that some scouts that do this for a living see it differently than you do.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Mar 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone