LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

Quick and dirty post Alex-trade mock

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
We need to resign Goldson. Delmas only has 3 picks in his entire career.

Goldson will be a free agent in a few weeks so it's going to be his choice....if he walks, what are the other options?
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Goldson will be a free agent in a few weeks so it's going to be his choice....if he walks, what are the other options?

IMO we should pay the man. He's worth it. Top 5 FS. Jarius Byrd might be another option if we can't bring Goldson back. Byrd is short though, which I don't like.

On path to the draft they just said we could take Matt Elam if Goldson walks.. No thank you to two Donte Whitners. Maybe Elam covers better than Whitner, Idk, but I do know that they're both 5'10. We need a ballhawk with some length and height to go up with the bigger guys. Another one of the reasons whitner sucks is because he's too short and has no length to go up with guys. On top of that he can't cover for s**t.
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Feb 28, 2013 at 3:49 PM ]
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
What is the point of drafting Ace Saunders? He's tiny and slow... that says UDFA to me.
Originally posted by DVDA:
What is the point of drafting Ace Saunders? He's tiny and slow... that says UDFA to me.

^ I do agree with this.. but lots of other picks to make this a win.

IMO we should pay the man. He's worth it. Top 5 FS. Jarius Byrd might be another option if we can't bring Goldson back. Byrd is short though, which I don't like.

On path to the draft they just said we could take Matt Elam if Goldson walks.. No thank you to two Donte Whitners. Maybe Elam covers better than Whitner, Idk, but I do know that they're both 5'10. We need a ballhawk with some length and height to go up with the bigger guys. Another one of the reasons whitner sucks is because he's too short and has no length to go up with guys. On top of that he can't cover for s**t.

Don't get me wrong, I want Goldson back, it just doesn't look like it's going to happen. Byrd is the top free agent safety and likely to get a bigger deal than even Goldson, so if it's about money or cap space, Byrd doesn't fit. Now if our front office would rather give big money to Byrd rather than Goldson, I would have no problem with that. Byrd is younger and is a turnover machine, so that works for me.
Originally posted by DVDA:

One of the nation's best punt returners last year and could develop into a solid slot WR...if you've seen him play, it's pretty clear how dynamic he is with the ball in his hand. But again, this mock was titled "quick and dirty" which means I didn't over-analyze or put days of research into it. If I were to change one pick, it would be that one...either drafting Sanders later (NflDraftScout has him as a 5th-6th rounder) or just picking someone different.
If there is anyway to trade for Lotulelei with the added picks - that has to be the move. After that, target Xavier Rhodes / Justin Hunter - these were my thoughts pre-combine and remain as such now... Only now we might have the ammunition for Star given the Smith trade and his heart condition.
Don't get me wrong, I want Goldson back, it just doesn't look like it's going to happen. Byrd is the top free agent safety and likely to get a bigger deal than even Goldson, so if it's about money or cap space, Byrd doesn't fit. Now if our front office would rather give big money to Byrd rather than Goldson, I would have no problem with that. Byrd is younger and is a turnover machine, so that works for me.

I would rather give Byrd big money than Goldson. He's such a tough safety to throw on and I think he could cover the field by himself while the SS trades with a corner to man or moves up in the box.
Just looked at this post again and realized you took 3 pass rushing OLB's in this draft (Collins, Smith and Williams). Why so many and which ones do you think will stick?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Just looked at this post again and realized you took 3 pass rushing OLB's in this draft (Collins, Smith and Williams). Why so many and which ones do you think will stick?

Williams is a NT. Collins would be an ideal 3rd down pass rusher and eventual replacement for Brooks. Quanterus Smith (similar build to Aldon Smith) was injured late in the season and will likely be on the PuP for 2013. He's someone that might've been a 2nd/3rd rounder if he was healthy, so you get him late and allow him to rehab and develop over time.

Williams is a NT. Collins would be an ideal 3rd down pass rusher and eventual replacement for Brooks. Quanterus Smith (similar build to Aldon Smith) was injured late in the season and will likely be on the PuP for 2013. He's someone that might've been a 2nd/3rd rounder if he was healthy, so you get him late and allow him to rehab and develop over time.

He means Meshak Williams.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Correct
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Correct

Sorry. Just like the Ravens turned Jameel McLain (former DE at Syracuse) into a 3-4 ILB, I think we could do the same.
Nice mock, Ghost......however, what I think many of you are missing is the fact that the Niners' roster is already stacked and at the very most, there will be about 10 openings on the 53-man next year. That may even be pushing it.

A far more likely scenario is that they use some of their lower round picks (those that are trade-able) and move up a few spots in the first 3 rounds. This means that they add fewer new players overall but more high quality picks. I can also see them trading a few picks in this draft for slightly higher picks in next year's draft, a strategy that New England has been using for quite awhile now.

In any case, there is no way in hell the Niners have room for 15 new players on that roster. Only one player (L. James) from the last draft saw any significant playing time this season and let's not forget that LB D. Fleming, LB C. Johnson, FS T. Robinson, and OG J. Looney all are expected to be on the roster next season and play back-up roles at least. Since 19 of the 22 starters are already under contract and many of the depth positions are already in place, there just isn't much room left. Just sayin'.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Mar 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Ghost, we've got a comp pick at the end of the 3rd or 4th, correct? I don't see that reflected in your total picks.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 3, 2013 at 2:06 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone