LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Quick and dirty post Alex-trade mock

I don't mind letting Goldson walk and Delmas would be cheaper. However I wouldn't rely on him. I would feel better if we drafted a FS higher.
I think Carlos Rodgers should be released or restructured. We need the cap space maybe go after Mike Wallace to take the top off it.
Originally posted by 49ersss:
What D-lineman would you guys take at 31 if Datone Jones is gone (Seahawks are targeting him)? Are there any pass rushing DE/DTS that are available? Wish we could trade up for Sheldon Richardson or something.

We could always trade up; that's definitely an option. But if we stay pat, Margus Hunt is probably an available option in the late 1st/early 2nd (though many on this board would dispute that). I also think Tank Carradine (6'4", 276) might be a 3-4 DE conversion candidate, though probably more suited for a strong-side DE role in a 4-3. IMO, a sleeper DE is LSU's LaVar Edwards....he's a legit 6'4", almost 280lbs with long arms and a solid skill-set. He's essentially the same size as Ray McDonald was when he was drafted, and has a similar frame/ability. Then there's the later round guys like Nick Williams, Joe Kruger and Jared Smith....or a trimmed down Kwame Geathers on the strong side.
Originally posted by jonr422000:
I think Carlos Rodgers should be released or restructured. We need the cap space maybe go after Mike Wallace to take the top off it.

Rogers would provide minimal savings if cut.

Also, Mike Wallace isn't gonna happen, nor would I want his overrated whiny person on this team. Steelers fans are basically wanting him to GTFO, so that should tell you something. He runs sloppy routes, drops passes at big moments and was exposed in Haley's offense. If you want him to do something else beyond "Go deep Mike", he struggles to do it.
Originally posted by jonr422000:

I think our resident cap guru AB has looked at both of those options, but neither saves us much in cap space if I remember correctly.
Ace Sanders? I don't think so!! You do realize we play in the NFC West, don't you? Hands down THE most physical division in football. At 178 lbs he won't hold up, trust me. The players get bigger and faster in the NFL. I must be the only one who don't wanna see tiny WR's on our team. We don't need to draft for a returner, especially not in the 4th. We have two good ones - Williams (who'll be back) and LMJ.
Ghost.. love the first 3 rounds. I would be jumping for joy to load up like that on the defensive side.

Just a couple of changes I would make if the guys were available and would use 6th and 7th rd picks to help move up
* Marcus Lattimore in the 4th instead of Ace Sanders... Just think with the # of picks we have it makes sense to draft this kid and sit him for a year

* Matt Scott in the 5th instead of Earl Wolf - I just think he is the perfect QB in our system
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by 49ersss:
What D-lineman would you guys take at 31 if Datone Jones is gone (Seahawks are targeting him)? Are there any pass rushing DE/DTS that are available? Wish we could trade up for Sheldon Richardson or something.

We could always trade up; that's definitely an option. But if we stay pat, Margus Hunt is probably an available option in the late 1st/early 2nd (though many on this board would dispute that). I also think Tank Carradine (6'4", 276) might be a 3-4 DE conversion candidate, though probably more suited for a strong-side DE role in a 4-3. IMO, a sleeper DE is LSU's LaVar Edwards....he's a legit 6'4", almost 280lbs with long arms and a solid skill-set. He's essentially the same size as Ray McDonald was when he was drafted, and has a similar frame/ability. Then there's the later round guys like Nick Williams, Joe Kruger and Jared Smith....or a trimmed down Kwame Geathers on the strong side.

The thing about Hunt is, he is already 25 years old, 26 going into next season. He is still very raw and will need a couple years of good coaching and experience to reach his upside. We are a win-now team and don't really have the time to wait for him to develop. He's a great project player, but I wouldn't take him earlier than our own 2nd round pick.
I'd like more size and versatility on our DL...from among the Williams' (Jesse & Sylvester), Hankins, Jenkins, Floyd, Richardson, et al. Didn't see a QB on your list...once the Alex trade is completed, we'll need one. Like the Rogers pick...I believe we need some size opposite Crabtree. With 15 picks, Baalke will have plenty of ammo to trade up to get some legit blue-chippers. In the end, I think less will be more in terms of total picks. I'd like to see Baalke come away with two "bigs" on the DL, OLB, CB, S, WR, TE and QB. I'd rather see quality over quantity, and am hoping Baalke feels that way, too.

As for the FA's, no problem with the "let-go's" or the ones to keep. However, at 32, I don't like the Jenkins signing. I think there are better, younger options to provide some quality depth for potentially more years. Guys like Vickerson, Sammie Lee Hill, Jason Jones, Mike DeVito, and my favorite, Randy Starks. Starks could be pricey, but the others shouldn't break the bank, but be good additions for a longer period of time. Mixed feelings about Delmas...when healthy, agree, he's an impact player. Problem is, he hasn't stayed that healthy. I think I'd tab William Moore instead.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Ace Sanders? I don't think so!! You do realize we play in the NFC West, don't you? Hands down THE most physical division in football. At 178 lbs he won't hold up, trust me. The players get bigger and faster in the NFL. I must be the only one who don't wanna see tiny WR's on our team. We don't need to draft for a returner, especially not in the 4th. We have two good ones - Williams (who'll be back) and LMJ.

That's your only beef? If so, it must be a pretty decent draft.

Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Ghost - who would you envision filling Goldson's spot under this scenario?

Per the free agency, I use some of Goldson's money to sign veteran free agent Louis Delmas. He's 3 years younger than Goldson and when healthy, one of the better safeties in the league. Not sure if it's an upgrade or downgrade really, but there aren't a lot of other realistic options out there. I think we make our Super Bowl run with the two veterans Delmas/Whitner this year, then revamp both roles in 2014.

Hopefully Trenton Robinson and/or Earl Wolff (who looked really good at the combine) will step up by then and be legit options at either position. I tried to cover most of the other needs though so that might be the only glaring hole on the team in 2014.

Totally missed the Delmas pick up. thanks
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Ghost.. love the first 3 rounds. I would be jumping for joy to load up like that on the defensive side.

Just a couple of changes I would make if the guys were available and would use 6th and 7th rd picks to help move up
* Marcus Lattimore in the 4th instead of Ace Sanders... Just think with the # of picks we have it makes sense to draft this kid and sit him for a year

* Matt Scott in the 5th instead of Earl Wolf - I just think he is the perfect QB in our system

I wouldn't mind the Lattimore move at all, but I just can't see us using a mid-round pick on a QB when you have a potential superstar in Kap just about to start the first full season of his career. I'd just get a re-tread veteran for this year and worry about the 3rd QB spot next year. I wouldn't be upset if they did draft someone like Scott, but it just seems like a distraction and a wasted pick to me.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'd like more size and versatility on our DL...from among the Williams' (Jesse & Sylvester), Hankins, Jenkins, Floyd, Richardson, et al. Didn't see a QB on your list...once the Alex trade is completed, we'll need one. Like the Rogers pick...I believe we need some size opposite Crabtree. With 15 picks, Baalke will have plenty of ammo to trade up to get some legit blue-chippers. In the end, I think less will be more in terms of total picks. I'd like to see Baalke come away with two "bigs" on the DL, OLB, CB, S, WR, TE and QB. I'd rather see quality over quantity, and am hoping Baalke feels that way, too.

As for the FA's, no problem with the "let-go's" or the ones to keep. However, at 32, I don't like the Jenkins signing. I think there are better, younger options to provide some quality depth for potentially more years. Guys like Vickerson, Sammie Lee Hill, Jason Jones, Mike DeVito, and my favorite, Randy Starks. Starks could be pricey, but the others shouldn't break the bank, but be good additions for a longer period of time. Mixed feelings about Delmas...when healthy, agree, he's an impact player. Problem is, he hasn't stayed that healthy. I think I'd tab William Moore instead.

Starks is getting tagged.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I wouldn't mind the Lattimore move at all, but I just can't see us using a mid-round pick on a QB when you have a potential superstar in Kap just about to start the first full season of his career. I'd just get a re-tread veteran for this year and worry about the 3rd QB spot next year. I wouldn't be upset if they did draft someone like Scott, but it just seems like a distraction and a wasted pick to me.

I dont think picking Scott in the 5th would be a wasted pick at all especially given the 15 picks we will have. A backup QB with upside in the 5th would be well worth it

I don't see anything wrong with using a late 4th rounder on Scott. You draft the guy, you have him sit and develop, if Kaep has injury issues, you've got a ready guy to take over for him down the road, you show him off a bit, and then trade him to someone for a couple of 2nd rounders and keep going. Its a long-term investment.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 27, 2013 at 9:26 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone