There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Quick and dirty post Alex-trade mock

I guess I just don't see the urgency in doing it this year or specifically with Scott. Nice QB, solid athlete and decent intangibles, but I'm just not as sold on him as you guys are. Again, just my armchair GM opinion.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I wouldn't mind the Lattimore move at all, but I just can't see us using a mid-round pick on a QB when you have a potential superstar in Kap just about to start the first full season of his career. I'd just get a re-tread veteran for this year and worry about the 3rd QB spot next year. I wouldn't be upset if they did draft someone like Scott, but it just seems like a distraction and a wasted pick to me.

I don't see anything wrong with using a late 4th rounder on Scott. You draft the guy, you have him sit and develop, if Kaep has injury issues, you've got a ready guy to take over for him down the road, you show him off a bit, and then trade him to someone for a couple of 2nd rounders and keep going. Its a long-term investment.

Green Bay did it when they drafted Matt Hasselback , Mark Brunnel and Aaron Brooks even though they had the great Brett Favre. Its smart.
I like the Delmas signing. His knee worries me, but when healthy is an excellent safety and he is still young.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
How do you pronounce datone

Dayton

Da-tony?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Green Bay did it when they drafted Matt Hasselback , Mark Brunnel and Aaron Brooks even though they had the great Brett Favre. Its smart.

The way I look at it, if you have a QB friendly coach and system, you draft them whenever you get a chance. Draft them, coach them, develop them, trade them and profit. As the Alex Smith trade once again showed, QB's are the most valuable commodities in the NFL. If you can take a guy in the 5th, 6th round and then trade him a few years down the road for higher picks, to me that's a smart strategy. I much prefer that over signing some random vet and having him take up space on the roster, knowing that he's essentially a dead-end. That's my humble argument anyway, a way for the team to continually stock up draft picks in the future.

Beyond that, I think Scott has all the tools to be a very effective quarterback, he just needs a lot of coaching and needs to improve as a pocket QB, he's much more raw than Kaepernick was even but the talent is undeniable.
Release: Parys Haralson, David Akers
Do not re-sign: Dashon Goldson, Isaac Sopoaga, Randy Moss
Re-sign: Ricky Jean-Francois, Delanie Walker, Tavares Gooden
Free agent signings:
Louis Delmas, FS (3 year deal) - Injury risk, but a top safety when healthy
Cullen Jenkins, DE/DT (1 year deal) - Veteran d-line depth

Draft (if no picks were traded)

1.) Datone Jones, DE - UCLA
2a.) Darius Slay, CB - Miss. St.
2b.) Jamie Collins, DE/OLB - Southern Miss.
3a.) Brandon Williams, NT - Missouri Southern
3b.) Da'Rick Rodgers, WR - Tennessee Tech
4a.) Ace Sanders, WR/PR - South Carolina
4b.) Jordan Mills, OT - La. Tech (projected comp pick)
5a.) Earl Wolff, S - North Carolina St.
5b.) Nick Casa, TE - Colorado
6a.) Don Jones, FS - Arkansas St.
6b.) Caleb Sturgis, K - Florida
7a.) Kapron Lewis-Moore, DE/DT - Notre Dame
7b.) Qaunterus Smith, DE/OLB - Western Kentucky
7c.) Jakar Hamilton, CB - South Carolina St.
7d.) Meshak Williams, LB - Kansas St. (projected comp pick)

The Delmas signing screams of a Trent Baalke type of FA signing and I could easily see our front office doing this if Goldson leaves for more money. I think if we shore up our defensive line and can get another pass rusher from the OLB position, our secondary will look pretty good in 2013. No issues with this defensive heavy draft. Positions of need were addressed and it lined up to who should be available overall. I'd like to see Rogers lined up across from Crabtree. With a returning Williams and AJ Jenkins, we'd have a nice passing game to go with our running hydra (credit to the webzone member who came up with that description to describe Gore-Hunter-James), as well as the tight ends.
Not sure if Banks will get out of the first round even with his average showing, given how popular big CBs are these days.

Could you imagine if he fell to the 49ers pick.....that would be nuts....you have Banks and Datone Jones sitting there at 31, who do you take? I still say Jones...just because I see him as most capable of potentially replacing Justin Smith down the road, but I'd have to think hard about it.

Definitely Jones
I like Delanie Walker, but if some other team drives up the cost on him, could you guys see letting him go and drafting Ertz or someone like that?
What about releasing whitner? How much would that save in cap space? IMO he's got to go. Was NEVER good in coverage.
jesse williams doe
Originally posted by teeohh:
How do you pronounce datone

Dayton

Da-tony?

Day-tone, IIRC.
Originally posted by Mann716:
What about releasing whitner? How much would that save in cap space? IMO he's got to go. Was NEVER good in coverage.

I think his contract is up in a year. We could let him go then and pick up a comp for him. That way, we also avoid having 2 new guys at once running a fairly complex coverage scheme.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Mann716:

I think his contract is up in a year. We could let him go then and pick up a comp for him. That way, we also avoid having 2 new guys at once running a fairly complex coverage scheme.

Pretty much what I was thinking; we'd either replace Goldson or Whitner this year, but not both. Since Goldson is a free agent who might prove too costly to keep, he was the easy choice.
Im a fan of any mock that has Da'Rick Rogers in it
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I wouldn't mind the Lattimore move at all, but I just can't see us using a mid-round pick on a QB when you have a potential superstar in Kap just about to start the first full season of his career. I'd just get a re-tread veteran for this year and worry about the 3rd QB spot next year. I wouldn't be upset if they did draft someone like Scott, but it just seems like a distraction and a wasted pick to me.

I don't see anything wrong with using a late 4th rounder on Scott. You draft the guy, you have him sit and develop, if Kaep has injury issues, you've got a ready guy to take over for him down the road, you show him off a bit, and then trade him to someone for a couple of 2nd rounders and keep going. Its a long-term investment.

True, but they didn't draft Brunnel until Favre's second year as a starter (which is essentially what I'm suggesting). Hasselback and Brooks were drafted well into Favre's career (Brett's 7th and 8th season, respectively), and that definitely makes sense. Now, the Packers did draft Ty Detmer in '92, which was Favre's first year...but he was picked up in the 9th round, which today would be a street free agent. I'm cool with that.

IMO, MarQueis Gray (6'4", 220, amazingly strong arm) is an intriguing developmental QB to be mentored by Harbaugh; I'd take a late-round flier on him.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM ]