LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

9ersLiferInChicago Post-Combine Mock

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Five of the first six defensive? Roman (and Harbaugh) will have some say in who gets selected. Niners have mostly balanced their picks in def. and off. players.
As it should be; that's where our biggest needs are. How long has it been since we seriously addressed the D-line? And last season it showed big time. It's where we are thinnest and weakest. Do we think Cowboy is gonna play forever? I submit to everyone that the lack depth along the D-line was chiefly responsible for the lack of D-line rotation, which I believe wore guys down. It's a wonder we didn't have more injuries along the D-line. We won't get that lucky every year. Remember, behind Ricky Jean are mere PS camp bodies. Now we are faced with losing both Ice Sop and Ricky Jean. We have to replenish the D-line with both a potential starter and talented depth. And who thinks Deshon will be back and we actually pay him $8 mil a season? So yes, I very much expect Baalke, JH & Co. to go heavy on the defense this season.
Phillip Thomas instead of Rambo but where you selected him, Thomas would be gone so I wouldn't mind Rambo
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
As it should be; that's where our biggest needs are. How long has it been since we seriously addressed the D-line? And last season it showed big time. It's where we are thinnest and weakest. Do we think Cowboy is gonna play forever? I submit to everyone that the lack depth along the D-line was chiefly responsible for the lack of D-line rotation, which I believe wore guys down. It's a wonder we didn't have more injuries along the D-line. We won't get that lucky every year. Remember, behind Ricky Jean are mere PS camp bodies. Now we are faced with losing both Ice Sop and Ricky Jean. We have to replenish the D-line with both a potential starter and talented depth. And who thinks Deshon will be back and we actually pay him $8 mil a season? So yes, I very much expect Baalke, JH & Co. to go heavy on the defense this season.

What makes you think they can't address the defense through FA? What about a new TE if Walker leaves? And doesn't our WR corp se thin to you? Williams and Manningham had serious injuries and Jenkins is unproven. Our defense was in the top 5 in every category in 2012 so dp you really think its.deserves 80% of our picks? We have an aging back. Were losing 2 vets in moss and ginn. We don't have a rz threat. Do you really think the FO is going to ignore the offense and draft for defense that has solid starters minus two positions(safety and NT) which can easily be addressed with proven vets in FA? I doubt it. There's 2 sides of the ball people.
Originally posted by eonblue:

What makes you think they can't address the defense through FA? What about a new TE if Walker leaves? And doesn't our WR corp se thin to you? Williams and Manningham had serious injuries and Jenkins is unproven. Our defense was in the top 5 in every category in 2012 so dp you really think its.deserves 80% of our picks? We have an aging back. Were losing 2 vets in moss and ginn. We don't have a rz threat. Do you really think the FO is going to ignore the offense and draft for defense that has solid starters minus two positions(safety and NT) which can easily be addressed with proven vets in FA? I doubt it. There's 2 sides of the ball people.
Go back and read my mock on page 1 of this thred. Because if you ask "What about a new TE if Walker leaves? And doesn't our WR corp se thin to you?. . . . We don't have a rz threat.. . . ", etc, you couldn't have possibly read it.

As for addressing the D through the FA it would be unnecessary and undoubtedly too expensive. Remember, Aldon, Crabs, and C. Kaep all have to be taken care of. We can't keep everyone. We have enough money tied into the defense, which is a big reason we didn't tag Goldson. A starting FS in FA won't be cheat. So our best bet is to go with youth at that spot.
Go back and read my mock on page 1 of this thred. Because if you ask "What about a new TE if Walker leaves? And doesn't our WR corp se thin to you?. . . . We don't have a rz threat.. . . ", etc, you couldn't have possibly read it.

As for addressing the D through the FA it would be unnecessary and undoubtedly too expensive. Remember, Aldon, Crabs, and C. Kaep all have to be taken care of. We can't keep everyone. We have enough money tied into the defense, which is a big reason we didn't tag Goldson. A starting FS in FA won't be cheat. So our best bet is to go with youth at that spot.

FA would not be to expensive. Signing a vet at safety and de means they don't have double up on positions. Its also smarter than depending on rookies to perform in our diffcult defense. Cullen Jenkins just cost the Giants 8 mil for 3 yrs. Pretty good deal for solid rotation. Bargain shop the market to fill holes and supplement with the draft. I really dont think a log jam on defense with the draft is smart or efficient considering we have limited roster space and we have smalls holes on both sides.of the ball.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I really like how you went heavy on the D-Line, then DBs. I prefer the Niners go D-Line/Secondary with first 4-5 picks, but I see why you like Da'Rick Rogers at that spot. This is attractive, "abused even SEC CB's (the SEC is notorious for having physical defenses). Rogers is extremely physical at the LOS."

Where you got the O-line picks at those spots are good and Niners definitely need a kicker. I also would like to see them get a couple of speedsters on special teams with DB or WR skills in the 5th/6th rounds.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
LOVE the emphasis on the DLine - and we REALLY need it. Good move. I read [sorry no link] that Hunt is more of a 4-3 guy but I'm sure he could be coached and developed. My point is we need a "Rotation" not just to replace startes but guys who can come in and play effectively on the DLine. We don't have that now.

Good draft - you GTTA love the name Uzzi. If he can rise to a strater role you can just imagine what the media will do with that name.

Good move on Amerson - like bIG,fast CB.

I think Da'Rick is going to be a real player in the league.

Really want Hopkins - thanks!

I've been hearing more & more about Cornelius Washington and knew very little - thanks for that.

I like the d-line emphasis as well, however I would go Dantone Jones at #1, try to keep either Sapoago or RJF and draft a guy like Geathers later in the draft. I like the idea of having a strong rotation at both DE positions. Even with Sopoago, he was effective and only played under 1/3 of the defensive snaps. A strong, fresh, pocket pushing rotation of DE's will even make our secondary much better. Collapsing the pocket is the most important.
[ Edited by 60sfan on Mar 10, 2013 at 6:40 PM ]
Originally posted by 60sfan:
I like the d-line emphasis as well, however I would go Danone Jones at #1, try to keep either Sapoago or RJF and draft a guy like Geathers later in the draft. I like the idea of having a strong rotation at both DE positions. Even with Sopoago, he was effective and only played under 1/3 of the defensive snaps. A strong, fresh, pocket pushing rotation of DE's will even make our secondary much better. Collapsing the pocket is the most important.
Most people, myself included, don't see Danone Jones dropping past pick 25 of the first. Geathers is a projected 5th/6th guy and really won't be good for this D, and he don't offer what Jenkins offers in the passing game as he doesn't push the pocket well. Jenkins (and Hunt) plays the run well and gets adequate pocket push. Plus, Jenkins can come in and start if we lose Ice Sop and/or RJF while Geathers is gonna need a year or two of seasoning and developing.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
You and I are on the same page. 4 picks on the d-line is a bit excessive. The Niners do need a pass rushing OLB to rotate with Smith and Brooks and an ILB to back up our studs and play ST if Grant moves on. Unless the Niners sign Cribbs in free agency, the return game could also use a big boost.

Still, a good overall mock.
I don't think it's excessive at all. Just consider this for a moment: We all know that Cowboy is long in the tooth and realistically has one really good season left, so we need to draft his replacement early in this draft. Isaac Sopoaga and Ricky Jean are going to hit the market. Isaac might be back. That's 50-50. And even if he does he's still 31, so his roster spot needs to be addressed early. The more I read about teams sniffing around Rick Jean the less likely I feel that he'll be back, so his roster spot has to be addressed. Behind Isaac Sopoaga and Ricky Jean who are our good options? Ian Williams? At the very least we need to draft a guy to come in and challenge Ian Williams - hence the Everett Dawkins pick. And I don't think we'll be active in FA for D-line help. I know we've been sniffing around John Abraham but I doubt we sign him. I'd like Josh Cribbs - at the right price. He'd be a better option over Ginn for his value as a WR. But if not I'm totally comfortable with LMJ and Kyle Williams (who probably could have come back last season) at punt and kick return duties.

If both RJF and Soap are gone in free agency, then I don't think the Niners will stand pat on the d line. They could sign guys like Sammie Hill, Desmond Bryant or Terence Knighton to low end deals prior to the draft. At that point, three picks would be plenty. Justin Smith has at least 1 good year left in him and the Niners don't have to restock the entire d line in one offseason.

I like the idea of getting Cribbs, too if the price isn't too steep.
I love it! Best mock I've seen this offseason.

I like Jessie Williams over Jenkins... more athletic and versatile. I love the Da'Rick Rogers pick.

Bravo!

Most people, myself included, don't see Danone Jones dropping past pick 25 of the first. Geathers is a projected 5th/6th guy and really won't be good for this D, and he don't offer what Jenkins offers in the passing game as he doesn't push the pocket well. Jenkins (and Hunt) plays the run well and gets adequate pocket push. Plus, Jenkins can come in and start if we lose Ice Sop and/or RJF while Geathers is gonna need a year or two of seasoning and developing.

I totally see what you mean. But I used Geathers as an example, because, he does take up blockers and that's the most important thing a NT can do on our defense with our LB's. You can plug in someone else. Jones may not be available, but another top DE might. However, I think Jones might be available. It will all depend on trades prior to the draft. I just feel a NT who can't play DE might not be a prudent pick. Rather have someone more flexible.
[ Edited by 60sfan on Mar 10, 2013 at 8:09 PM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
If both RJF and Soap are gone in free agency, then I don't think the Niners will stand pat on the d line. They could sign guys like Sammie Hill, Desmond Bryant or Terence Knighton to low end deals prior to the draft. At that point, three picks would be plenty. Justin Smith has at least 1 good year left in him and the Niners don't have to restock the entire d line in one offseason.

I like the idea of getting Cribbs, too if the price isn't too steep.
I like Sammie Hill. He can start for most teams, even ours. But I doubt he'd be cheap. I think he's gonna want more than what we paid Ice Sop. At the right price he'd be perfect. I'm not all interested in Bryant. And I like Knighton even less , as he struggles in run support, which was why he was benched in Jacksonville. In fact, I can't believe that you seriously posed him as a serious option. In any event, we can get a guy within the first 3 rounds of the draft that would be a better option than Hill, Bryant, and definitely Knighton.
I like Sammie Hill. He can start for most teams, even ours. But I doubt he'd be cheap. I think he's gonna want more than what we paid Ice Sop. At the right price he'd be perfect. I'm not all interested in Bryant. And I like Knighton even less , as he struggles in run support, which was why he was benched in Jacksonville. In fact, I can't believe that you seriously posed him as a serious option. In any event, we can get a guy within the first 3 rounds of the draft that would be a better option than Hill, Bryant, and definitely Knighton.

Are you serious right now?

Check out your 1st pick that you say can start from day one and is a better option than Hill, Bryant, and definitely Knighton.
Originally posted by 60sfan:

I totally see what you mean. But I used Geathers as an example, because, he does take up blockers and that's the most important thing a NT can do on our defense with our LB's. You can plug in someone else. Jones may not be available, but another top DE might. However, I think Jones might be available. It will all depend on trades prior to the draft. I just feel a NT who can't play DE might not be a prudent pick. Rather have someone more flexible.
See, this is where the strategy and the chess match comes into play. I coach football. There are many was to play a 3-4. From what I've observed of V. Fangio's scheme he's not looking for the NG to play outside of the 3 technique. From what I can tell V. Fangio seeks to be nimble in real time; he wants to be able to audible to the nickle out of the 3-4 while still generating an honest pass rush and maintaining run integrity. (Incidentally, this also is a source of a lot of communication errors in the secondary - on-the-fly-audibles.) I suspect that what V. Fangio wants is a guy who can 2-gap and who can shade the OG's inside/outside shoulder on the fly if need be without too much of a drop in production. Jenkins can do that. But it's also the reason why I think we will draft a pure 3-4 DE.
See, this is where the strategy and the chess match comes into play. I coach football. There are many was to play a 3-4. From what I've observed of V. Fangio's scheme he's not looking for the NG to play outside of the 3 technique. From what I can tell V. Fangio seeks to be nimble in real time; he wants to be able to audible to the nickle out of the 3-4 while still generating an honest pass rush and maintaining run integrity. (Incidentally, this also is a source of a lot of communication errors in the secondary - on-the-fly-audibles.) I suspect that what V. Fangio wants is a guy who can 2-gap and who can shade the OG's inside/outside shoulder on the fly if need be without too much of a drop in production. Jenkins can do that. But it's also the reason why I think we will draft a pure 3-4 DE.

Jenkins can't stay in passing downs. He can barely make it to half time. He has no paas rushing moves. Your looking for Haloti Ngata and hea not in this draft.
Share 49ersWebzone