LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 214 users in the forums

9ersLiferInChicago Post-Combine Mock

This mock reflect the best players likely/realistically available to the 49ers coupled with the needs of our roster, and Alex Smith trade. Plus, I really wanted to see how many these guys would perform at the combine before I released my mock. The combine slightly influenced me, but not by much. I know on the Zone the conventional wisdom is that the 49ers won't draft all 15 picks (the 15th assumes a trade for Alex Smith). But I've given this much thought, and the more I think of it the more I think we are gonna use all 15 picks unless there's a really good deal. We're set at all 22 starter spots. But I really think there will be A LOT of turnover at the 2nd and 3rd string spots. I believe that JH & Co. wants the starters to be pushed a little for playing time, which in turns increases competition, which in turn produces better play at all positions. Last season we didn't rotate that much due mostly to lack of talented depth, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I have to think that JH isn't too pleased with that. The only FA I see us focusing hard on resigning Delanie Walker, seeing that Deshon Goldson, who I think won't be back, won't be tagged like I thought he would. I think the FO is gonna allow everyone else to test the market or comeback and compete with rookies for a roster spot.

Draft:
1. DT/NT: Jonathan Jenkins/ 6-4, 359; Georgia
Perfect 0-technique for our 3-4 base D. Not a big pass rush guy, but we really won't need him to. He's a block eater that can pushes the pocket very well and plays the run even better, and could play the 5-technique. He's a tree stump; he's not easily moved which clogs the middle up pretty good. Know how to "get skinny" between double teams quite well. He will need to learn to keep a consistent lower pad level. Best of all, he'll be there for us at pick 31. (Some have him going higher in the first, but most have him as a late 1st.

2. DE: Margus Hunt/ 6-8, 277lbs; Southern Methodist. Combine top performer
Have had me eye on this guy for a while. I really believe we're gonna be able to get at least a 2nd or 3rd for Alex, likely from KC. Perfect Justine Smith's heir apparent. This guy is a tough, gritty hard worker. And like Cowboy, Hunt is VERY strong (38 reps on the bench), plays the run well, very good trench fighter, and good pass rusher. Very raw, not too experienced and will need some work but I can think of no better guy than Justin Smith to learn from for a year or two. Gets cut a lot, so he needs to fix his technique, namely his shoulder placement. This guy is fast too, ran a 4.60 in the 40.

2/3. (via trade) CB: David Amerson/ 6-2, 205lbs; NC State. Ran a 4.44
This guy has been on my radar for weeks. I really think his stock rises to the mid 3rd after the combine. Amerson is a big physical corner with natural ball skills. Very strong in man coverage. Physical at the LOS in the press. Will need to work on his down field techniques. Will need to work on his discipline as the NFL has put diapers on WR's. Perfect for this defense as he tackles and wraps well.
[Note] If we get a 2nd for Alex I think we pick Amerson there as well.

3. WR: Da'Rick Rogers/ 6-3, 209lbs; Tennessee Tech. Ran a 4.44 in his 2nd attempt.
Another guy who was on my radar for some time. With injuries to Manningham and Williams we have to get one of the better WR here to compete for the #2 spot, and not a tiny one either. We play in the NFC West where the CB's are big and physical. Rogers did well at the combine in my mind. Granted, his bench press was disappointing. Plus, what he put on film, both before and after he transferred, cannot be ignored. This guy abused even SEC CB's (the SEC is notorious for having physical defenses). Rogers is extremely physical at the LOS, easily fought off even SEC physical press coverage!! A durable, tough guy who's proven to be able to take a big hit and stay on his feet, so he'll get the tough YAC yards like Crabs. Versatile, he's played the X, Y, and Z spots well, so JH & Co. can line him up everywhere. VERY good hands, but like Crabs, has occasional drops because he looks to run before he secures the ball. I know he had maturity issues but on a high character JH team were he'll have to earn his way on the field I think he'll have plenty to keep him focused. His interview will be vital.

3. FS: Bacarri Rambo/ 6-1, 215lbs; Georgia
Bacarri Rambo is THE guy we need to get him with our first or 2nd pick of the 3rd. I've seen him play several times, he is the real deal, a mirror image of Dashon Goldson. Plus he could be drafted to play SS. I was hoping he don't do well at the combine, but he didn't participate. His stock fell a little after the senior bowl, but I'm noticing he's beginning to rise a little back to mid 3rd, even without a combine workout. If his stock rises to 2nd round projections I'd say that we take him with one, especially if we get a 2nd for Alex. Plus, Goldson probably will be out of our price range. We can still get a big physical CB in the 3rd (Blidi Wreh-Wilson or Tharold Simon. And David Amerson very much could still fall to us in the 3rd too).

3. DE: William Gholston/ 6-6, 278lbs; Michigan State
Some have this guy going as high as 2nd (very few though), and some have him going as low as 5th. I doubt he'll get out of the 4th. I think if he's here for us at this point we take him, especially if we miss out on Hunt. He'd really help our anemic rotation on the D-line. Plus he stunts well. He needs to maintain his motor throughout the whole play.

4. OT: Rick Wagner/ 6-6, 310lbs; Wisconsin
Gotta get depth at the OT spot. Looked good at the combine. Has an excellent drop-step that the NFL is looking for in OT's. Has ideal OT wingspan (33 1/2" arms). Will need to work on how he handles speed rushers and learn not to overcompensate for them.

5. TE: Chris Gregg/ 6-3, 236lbs; Arkansas. Ran a 4.5
The perfect replacement for Delanie Walker. Needs to gain a little weight – maybe get up to 240-245 (Walker is 242). Ideal H-back that mirrors Walker. Probably a better pass catcher then Walker, but will need to work on his blocking a little. If Walker is re-signed (which I expect the 49ers to offer Walker an extension) look for us to get a physical CB here – Dwayne Gratz, 5-11, 200lbs, Connecticut. Or RB Cierre Wood out of Notre Dame

5. DT: Everett Dawkins/ 6-2, 292lbs; Florida State.
Replacement for Ricky Jean if he's gone. Dawkins is very explosive with a fast fist step. Might need to put on a few pounds. Will need to be coached up by Tomsula. Low center of gravity will make him hard to block, but he needs to work on being consistent. His quickness would make him a good in knuckle and passing situations, like Ricky Jean. If we keep Ricky Jean I think we go ILB Kevin Reddick from North Carolina to replace Larry Grant.

6. OG/C: Omoregie Uzzi/ 6-3, 303lbs; Georgia Tech.
Depth. A mauler. One of the more athletic O-lineman in the draft, which is why I don't understand why he wasn't at the combine. But I liked what I saw on film of him. Plays with good technique and keeps his knees bent, so the bull rush won't work on this guy. Keeps his pad level. Very quick off the line, which is perfect for our line scheme with all the pulling and traps we run with our C's and OG's. Has a real mean streak. Though he's played primarily at OG his athleticism makes him ideal to be taught to play center. Would like to see him put on about 5 pounds. Needs to learn when to out-muscle verses when to out smart his opponent. And as with most O-lineman coming out of college he's inconsistent picking up the blitz.

6. K: Dustin Hopkins/ 6-2, 189lbs; Florida St.
This pick is a no brainer. I'd be shocked if we didn't get a kicker out of this draft.

7. WR: Mark Harrison/ 6-3, 231: Rutgers. Ran a 4.47 on his 2nd attempt.
Originally, I had us taking RB Cierre Wood out of Notre Dame here. But I really liked what I saw of Mark Harrison, and after the combine I went to check out some film on him. 6-3, 231 running a 4.4 – 4.5 is a nightmare for any defense. At the combine Harrison looked very fluid running his routs. Good footwork. One thing I noticed of his highlights is that he's not an easy guy to bring down. But he's inconsistent with his hands. But is was Crabs.

7. OLB/DE: Cornelius Washington/ 6-4, 265lbs; Georgia. Ran a 4.56
Pure depth at OLB. Was a "top performer" at the combine, but ultimately it's what he put on film that will cause him to drop. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him go as early as 5th. With Cam Johnson and Darius Fleming hurt much too early to evaluate, forcing us to turn to the waver wire, it make sense to pick for depth here. His size and arm length (33-34") makes him available to either stand up, or put in the 3 point. Good quick first step. Needs to develop counter moves. Vocal leader. A real mean streak on the field with the ability to intimidate. But he needs to mature. (DUI, calling out fans online.) Gonna need to interview well.

7. SS: Ray Ray Armstrong/ 6-4, 215lbs; Faulkner University
If he fall this should be a no-brainer. A Miami transfer, some have him going as high as a 4th and but most have him at 7th/FA, for off-the-field issues. The word on him is that he needs the right coaching staff and team. Can't think of none better than ours. Outside of Whitner, Armstrong would come in as the most talented SS on the team. Rangy for a SS, hits, and full of talent with a high ceiling. We have enough high character guys on the defense to mentor this guy to keep him out of trouble. This would be a steal pick here.

7. CB: Aaron Hester/ 6'1, 206lbs; UCLACan't have enough CB's Ran a 4.6 at the combine, not that fast to push the starters. But he tackles very well, so I think he'll be a star on ST.

15 draftees, which is gonna make for a very, VERY interesting training camp and pre-season, perhaps THE most competitive in the NFL. Furthermore, we are gonna cut players that could start for many teams, and our PS will probably be the most talented in the league. I see this draft to be defense heavy for us. All of those picks should be available to us at each spot. The only questions I have is William Gholston and Ray Ray Armstrong.

Current Free Agents:
Randy Moss, UFA – Don't think he will be back. I think he wants a bigger role than JH & CO. are prepared or should give him.
Eric Bakhtiari, UFA – I like him but with a healthy Cam Johnson and Darius Flemming there will be no need for him.
Tramaine Brock, RFA – Not sure he'll be back or not. I just don't see him being able to push anybody for time unless there's an injury. Just a ST body to me. But he is a restricted FA.
Leonard Davis, UFA – Won't be back.
Ted Ginn Jr., UFA – Not enough value to justify a roster spot on THIS team.
Dashon Goldson, UFA – At first I was sure that he'd be back via by tag or resigning. But with the news that our FO likely won't tag him I doubt he'll be back. He just might be out of our price range.
Larry Grant, UFA – Seriously doubt that we get lucky a 2nd year in a row.
Tavares Gooden, UFA – For the above is the reason I think we make Gooden an offer.
Clark Haggans, UFA – Won't be back.
Brandon Jacobs, UFA – Gone already
Darcel McBath, RFA – I'm 50-50 on him. He was seen in spot duty in the secondary and has some value on ST. Again, restricted FA.
Ricky Jean Francois, UFA – I think he'll be allowed to test the market. It's unclear what his value is. Hope we keep him, but reports are that GB is taking a serious look at him.
Isaac Sopoaga, UFA – He'll test the market. Would like to keep him for another season so we wouldn't have to start a rookie in the interior of our D-line. But he's probably gone.
Delanie Walker, UFA – I think our FO is gonna make a serious effort to keep Walker. Contrary to what many fans here think Walker is just too valuable to this offense to let go. Plus, the thought of loosing Goldson and Walker in one season is troubling. And unlike Goldson, I think Walker wants to win a ring more than breaking the bank.

Thoughts?

********EDIT********
With Goldson unlikely to re-sign and Ice Sop in question we have 20 starting spots locked. In my mind this makes Jonathan Jenkins and Bacarri Rambo even more likely picks.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Mar 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM ]
Like Uzzi and Harrison as late round picks. Uzzi would be an ideal player to develop as a center, very quick feet, very mobile, think he's way underrated...same goes for Harrison although his freaky Combine numbers should move him up a little bit, maybe into the late 6th round.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Like Uzzi and Harrison as late round picks. Uzzi would be an ideal player to develop as a center, very quick feet, very mobile, think he's way underrated...same goes for Harrison although his freaky Combine numbers should move him up a little bit, maybe into the late 6th round.
Yeah, I think Uzzi is going way under the radar. He's another I had my eye on. When I didn't see him at the combine I went back to the highlight to see if there was a reason. Couldn't find one. Even now most boards I've viewed have him going right about where I have us taking him, so I don't understand why he isn't discussed. And I wouldn't be surprised t see Harrison go in the 6th. If so we can still get Marcus Davis (6-3, 233, 4.5 in the 40, 39" jump), another guy I was impressed with.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I think you are too DL heavy in the draft. Jenkins, Hunt, Gholston, and Dawkins? I doubt we'll let RJF and Sopoaga go. And unless the 3rd backup is a two/three way player (i.e. Tukuafu), they will most likely be inactive on game days. Swap Gholston for a legit 3-4 OLB prospect to replace Haralson - who most likely will be getting cut.

That being said, Jenkins and Hunt are great picks to bolster the defensive line. I also like the secondary and wide receiver picks - high risk, high reward.

I'd like to see who you target in free agency because not resigning Goldson, Walker, and either RJF or Sopoaga, and trading Alex Smith away will provide significant salary cap space to make a move.

The two things I think you missed are replacing Larry Grant and a WR/KR/PR guy to compete with Kyle Williams. With his injury woes, and James' inexperience at PR at the NFL level, I think the 5-7th rounds are perfect to draft those positions. Minor though.
Originally posted by GEEK:
I think you are too DL heavy in the draft. Jenkins, Hunt, Gholston, and Dawkins? I doubt we'll let RJF and Sopoaga go. And unless the 3rd backup is a two/three way player (i.e. Tukuafu), they will most likely be inactive on game days. Swap Gholston for a legit 3-4 OLB prospect to replace Haralson - who most likely will be getting cut.

That being said, Jenkins and Hunt are great picks to bolster the defensive line. I also like the secondary and wide receiver picks - high risk, high reward.

I'd like to see who you target in free agency because not resigning Goldson, Walker, and either RJF or Sopoaga, and trading Alex Smith away will provide significant salary cap space to make a move.

The two things I think you missed are replacing Larry Grant and a WR/KR/PR guy to compete with Kyle Williams. With his injury woes, and James' inexperience at PR at the NFL level, I think the 5-7th rounds are perfect to draft those positions. Minor though.

No such thing. 49ers need to go heavy on DL. Soap is old and mediocre, RJF is just plain mediocre. They need reliable depth that they can rotate regularly. I'm not a fan of the Hunt pick but I wouldn't be shocked to see them add 3 or 4 defensive linemen, go with the best quality guys and really maximize the strength of the DL, which is the backbone of the defense.

There's no need to sign any big money free agents, I'm sure Baalke will add some lower tier free agents on short contracts, but the 49ers are going to need all the cap space they can muster in the next year, year 1/2. They've got Tarell Brown, Colin Kaepernick, Michael Crabtree, Aldon Smith, Iupati, Davis and more, all going into free agency. Just because they don't blow the bank on their own free agents doesn't mean they'll do it for someone elses.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 27, 2013 at 12:07 AM ]
Nice mock, though I'm getting really confused about some of the prospects. Do the 9er really want an immovable NT? Or an athletic NT? So not sure how Jenkins fits with their defensive scheme.

Hunt will be 26 years old in his rookie year and may have to sit behind Justin for few years--at age 29? Seems to be a big expense for a shorter playing career than normal?! Justin is only seven years older. If they could trade up and pick up Jones?

I like your adding height at both CB and WR and both guys looked good and have speed as well. And I love athletic OL guys as well.

Rambo is one of my favorites and am still trying to figure out if it's just the name!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 27, 2013 at 12:55 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Nice mock, though I'm getting really confused about some of the prospects. Do the 9er really want an immovable NT? Or an athletic NT? So not sure how Jenkins fits with their defensive scheme.

Hunt will be 26 years old in his rookie year and may have to sit behind Justin for few years--at age 29? Seems to be a big expense for a shorter playing career than normal?! Justin is only seven years older. If they could trade up and pick up Jones?

I like your adding height at both CB and WR and both guys looked good and have speed as well. And I love athletic OL guys as well.

Rambo is one of my favorites and am still trying to figure out if it's just the name!

What makes you think Jenkins isn't athletic? He's got pretty decent mobility for his size, Georgia played him at NT and DE, he's a guy who can collapse the pocket and pass rush the QB as well. He's very active, the big issue with him is conditioning and not overdoing his snaps. Otherwise he's a guy with a high motor who's extremely difficult to handle with just a single blocker.
If we get Jenkins and Hunt with the first two picks no matter what happens afterwards draft day would be a success. I hear
I must be the only 1 who doesn't like the John Jenkins pick. I think he gets pushed back rather easily. And I dont see him using his weight to his advantage but he could be coached up on that.still dont want though.
Originally posted by GEEK:

I disagree. We really haven't seriously addressed the D-line in some time, and it showed last season. We really need to get young and talented there, and fast. Not sure if you read my free agent part but I really think Baalke is gonna make Walker a serious offer, in the 10-12 mil range. Ice Sop is getting old and Ricky Jean is getting looks from the Packers (and several other teams I'm told). Ice Sop might be back but we need to draft for his eventual replacement. I didn't "miss" replacing grant. I just think we can find an adequate replacement for him in FA as our D-line is the bigger priority. And like I said in my mock, if we are able to keep Ricky Jean, I think we draft ILB Kevin Reddick from Florida State in the 5th to replace Larry Grant. I really don't think there's a lot of depth at ILB this draft. Also, I honestly think you are underestimating Kyle Williams and LMJ as returners.

I don't think his age will really be an issue. Hunt is a raw talent and inexperienced playing football. So his body is just as fresh as a 22 year old. Plus, I honestly don't think Cowboy realistically has more than a year left in him.

BTW, it isn't Rambo's name, it's his game. I've seen him play, he's the real deal.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

What makes you think Jenkins isn't athletic? He's got pretty decent mobility for his size, Georgia played him at NT and DE, he's a guy who can collapse the pocket and pass rush the QB as well. He's very active, the big issue with him is conditioning and not overdoing his snaps. Otherwise he's a guy with a high motor who's extremely difficult to handle with just a single blocker.

One comment I read: "Provides little in terms of an interior pass rush. Is simply too wide to not get slowed down while squeezing through tight gaps in the interior line and has only phone booth quickness. Wears down quickly and will need to be substituted often to be fully effective in the NFL. Allows his pad level to rise as he tires, which negates his strength." Rob Rang.

This is only one of several similar comments regarding his stamina and lack of ability to get beyond the LOS. Just hesitant about guys who do not have endurance.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I must be the only 1 who doesn't like the John Jenkins pick. I think he gets pushed back rather easily. And I dont see him using his weight to his advantage but he could be coached up on that.still dont want though.
Not sure what film you've been watching but from what I've seen of him he gets good pressure consistently. About the only time I saw him getting pushed back is when, believe it or not, they tried to scheme stunt him. I completely disagree with your assessment of him.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I disagree. We really haven't seriously addressed the D-line in some time, and it showed last season. We really need to get young and talented there, and fast. Not sure if you read my free agent part but I really think Baalke is gonna make Walker a serious offer, in the 10-12 mil range. Ice Sop is getting old and Ricky Jean is getting looks from the Packers (and several other teams I'm told). Ice Sop might be back but we need to draft for his eventual replacement. I didn't "miss" replacing grant. I just think we can find an adequate replacement for him in FA as our D-line is the bigger priority. And like I said in my mock, if we are able to keep Ricky Jean, I think we draft ILB Kevin Reddick from Florida State in the 5th to replace Larry Grant. I really don't think there's a lot of depth at ILB this draft. Also, I honestly think you are underestimating Kyle Williams and LMJ as returners.

My bad, I missed that part.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

I don't think his age will really be an issue. Hunt is a raw talent and inexperienced playing football. So his body is just as fresh as a 22 year old. Plus, I honestly don't think Cowboy realistically has more than a year left in him.

BTW, it isn't Rambo's name, it's his game. I've seen him play, he's the real deal.

Sorry, the 26 year old body is not a 22 year old body and my main point is that you will be drafting a raw product who needs a couple of years to coach-up, so he will be peaking and playing for fewer max years. When you could draft a 22 year old who is more NFL ready. If Hunt is as good as some think then perhaps he is worth it, just not sold yet. But I will love the niners draft this year...just have a feeling they will really do well, have the chips to move around and get guys they want and need...and deep draft in top 100...9ers have 4 of those~

Glad to hear you like Rambo as well! A very good year for DBs and DLs...our biggest areas of need.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 27, 2013 at 2:24 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone