There are 199 users in the forums

9ersLiferInChicago Post-Combine Mock

Isn't Reddick from UNC?
If we could haul in all of those guys I would be more than OK with letting all of our Free agents go. We would also have money then to go after a high end CB or WR to fill out those positions of need. Might be a little pie in the sky thinking we could land that many players that plug straight into the line up, but say we draft exactly how you say and then land a legit shutdown corner or top free agent wideout....that would be a beastly offseason.
Originally posted by Nalo9er:
Isn't Reddick from UNC?
Yeah he is. My mistake. I noticed that this morning. Corrected.
LOVE the emphasis on the DLine - and we REALLY need it. Good move. I read [sorry no link] that Hunt is more of a 4-3 guy but I'm sure he could be coached and developed. My point is we need a "Rotation" not just to replace startes but guys who can come in and play effectively on the DLine. We don't have that now.

Good draft - you GTTA love the name Uzzi. If he can rise to a strater role you can just imagine what the media will do with that name.

Good move on Amerson - like bIG,fast CB.

I think Da'Rick is going to be a real player in the league.

Really want Hopkins - thanks!

I've been hearing more & more about Cornelius Washington and knew very little - thanks for that.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
If we could haul in all of those guys I would be more than OK with letting all of our Free agents go. We would also have money then to go after a high end CB or WR to fill out those positions of need. Might be a little pie in the sky thinking we could land that many players that plug straight into the line up, but say we draft exactly how you say and then land a legit shutdown corner or top free agent wideout....that would be a beastly offseason.
I don't think all of our FA will be let go, but will be allowed to test the market. I really think we are gonna make a serious offer to Walker to stay. We must keep in mind that we got a lot of important vital players that'll be FA soon - Tarell Brown, Colin Kaepernick, Michael Crabtree, Aldon Smith, Mike Iupati, Anthony Davis, etc. - that we cannot afford to loose. That's why I doubt that Goldson will be back. I think he's wanting Ft. Knox. I think he's a top 3 safety, but signing him at the expense signing other players isn't worth it. Baalke is gonna stick to the "build through the draft" model, and from what I can tell its working. So I don't see us going after top dollar FA's, and we shouldn't.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
LOVE the emphasis on the DLine - and we REALLY need it. Good move. I read [sorry no link] that Hunt is more of a 4-3 guy but I'm sure he could be coached and developed. My point is we need a "Rotation" not just to replace startes but guys who can come in and play effectively on the DLine. We don't have that now.

Good draft - you GTTA love the name Uzzi. If he can rise to a strater role you can just imagine what the media will do with that name.

Good move on Amerson - like bIG,fast CB.

I think Da'Rick is going to be a real player in the league.

Really want Hopkins - thanks!

I've been hearing more & more about Cornelius Washington and knew very little - thanks for that.
I'm just hoping he's there for us in the 7th. I won't be surprised to see him go higher. But for the maturity issues he'd be a sure solid early 4th, no less than 5th.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Isn't Reddick from UNC?
Yeah he is. My mistake. I noticed that this morning. Corrected.

Right on. Wasn't just trying to point out a mistake. I like Vince Williams as a late round pick or maybe UDFA. So was just curious who you meant.

Nice mock though, thanks.
Right on. Wasn't just trying to point out a mistake. I like Vince Williams as a late round pick or maybe UDFA. So was just curious who you meant.

Nice mock though, thanks.
Getting him as a rookie FA would be ideal.
Nice mock
**EDIT**

Originally, I had us taking Ray Ray Armstrong, 6-4, 215lbs SS out of Faulkner University with our 3rd pick of the 7th. But I've changed my mind to Cooper Taylor, 6-4, 229lbs SS out Richmond. In fact, I was back and forth between the two when making this mock. But after thinking about it I'd rather have Taylor than Armstrong. Ray Ray, while extremely talented, has too much baggage to be drafted. Cooper, on the other hand, has injury and medical concerns, but a bigger upside. At the Shrine game Cooper really showed out. He also was used on offense in wildcat formations, something that can prove quite useful in our pistol read option packages. He's a real stud in the run game, as good as Whitner. Extremely instinctive, diagnoses plays VERY quickly. The word on him is that he's very coachable and known for understanding the playbook and what the coach is trying to achieve play-by-play. That's just what the doctor order considering how Whitner and Goldson was torched all season due to miscommunication issues. But he'll need to learn how to cover and "stay available".

Other than that I still haven't found a better mock yet.

Originally posted by GEEK:
I think you are too DL heavy in the draft. Jenkins, Hunt, Gholston, and Dawkins? I doubt we'll let RJF and Sopoaga go. And unless the 3rd backup is a two/three way player (i.e. Tukuafu), they will most likely be inactive on game days. Swap Gholston for a legit 3-4 OLB prospect to replace Haralson - who most likely will be getting cut.

That being said, Jenkins and Hunt are great picks to bolster the defensive line. I also like the secondary and wide receiver picks - high risk, high reward.

I'd like to see who you target in free agency because not resigning Goldson, Walker, and either RJF or Sopoaga, and trading Alex Smith away will provide significant salary cap space to make a move.

The two things I think you missed are replacing Larry Grant and a WR/KR/PR guy to compete with Kyle Williams. With his injury woes, and James' inexperience at PR at the NFL level, I think the 5-7th rounds are perfect to draft those positions. Minor though.

You and I are on the same page. 4 picks on the d-line is a bit excessive. The Niners do need a pass rushing OLB to rotate with Smith and Brooks and an ILB to back up our studs and play ST if Grant moves on. Unless the Niners sign Cribbs in free agency, the return game could also use a big boost.

Still, a good overall mock.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
You and I are on the same page. 4 picks on the d-line is a bit excessive. The Niners do need a pass rushing OLB to rotate with Smith and Brooks and an ILB to back up our studs and play ST if Grant moves on. Unless the Niners sign Cribbs in free agency, the return game could also use a big boost.

Still, a good overall mock.
I don't think it's excessive at all. Just consider this for a moment: We all know that Cowboy is long in the tooth and realistically has one really good season left, so we need to draft his replacement early in this draft. Isaac Sopoaga and Ricky Jean are going to hit the market. Isaac might be back. That's 50-50. And even if he does he's still 31, so his roster spot needs to be addressed early. The more I read about teams sniffing around Rick Jean the less likely I feel that he'll be back, so his roster spot has to be addressed. Behind Isaac Sopoaga and Ricky Jean who are our good options? Ian Williams? At the very least we need to draft a guy to come in and challenge Ian Williams - hence the Everett Dawkins pick. And I don't think we'll be active in FA for D-line help. I know we've been sniffing around John Abraham but I doubt we sign him. I'd like Josh Cribbs - at the right price. He'd be a better option over Ginn for his value as a WR. But if not I'm totally comfortable with LMJ and Kyle Williams (who probably could have come back last season) at punt and kick return duties.
Lots of defensive help here. So much that you figure a couple of those picks have to come through. The offense wasn't totally ignored however and the pickups will all get a chance to be solid contributors. Nice, realistic draft.
Five of the first six defensive? Roman (and Harbaugh) will have some say in who gets selected. Niners have mostly balanced their picks in def. and off. players.
I really see what all the hype is about with Hunt. this guy should be a 4th rounder at best. Datone is the man...younger and just as high of a ceiling!
Share 49ersWebzone