LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

Jonathan Cyprien BANDWAGON

Originally posted by eonblue:
I like cyprien more than reid swearinger or wilcox. He misses tackles but so do the rest of these guys. Swearinger isnt very strong in coverage. Hes a good tackler but he lunges.and gets a lot of penalties. Cyprien is a great deep fielder. He reads the qb and can make a play on the ball. His tackling is actually pretty good but it needs work. He actually has the highest celing if he can stay focused refine his ability. Seach Johnathan cyprian vs Louisville for a good display of his talents.

I disagree....although only slightly. I think JJ Wilcox has a HUGE, HUGE ceiling. This guy went from being an offensive player to being a safety for a season and did a smash-up job. He's highly coachable and I'll be excited to follow him wherever he ends up in the NFL. Just a massive ceiling considering how raw he is. His coverage ability for a safety is also highly impressive, very quick feet, great lateral movement, outstanding hips for a safety.

Give me both and cross the safety position off the list for the next 4-5 years.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
I'm sorry but I think this guy is vastly overhyped on here. I am not saying we should not pick him or he will not pan out but I just think he is just really overhyped.

He's ranked as late 1st rounder, early 2nd rounder, how exactly is he "vastly overhyped" here? It would also be helpful about what particular aspects you don't agree with, clearly there's something you don't like about the guy, it always helps to elaborate.

Fwiw I don't like him because he's a really poor tackler. He lunges and flat out whiffs way more than you want to see, and when he's trying to wrap up and tackle he gets flat footed and vets bulled backwards. He's eitber laying people out, trying to but missing, or arm tackling. It's just not what I want to see in a safety.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Fwiw I don't like him because he's a really poor tackler. He lunges and flat out whiffs way more than you want to see, and when he's trying to wrap up and tackle he gets flat footed and vets bulled backwards. He's eitber laying people out, trying to but missing, or arm tackling. It's just not what I want to see in a safety.

Like I said, I think he has two main issues A. He looks for the big hit too often when he should just wrap up and B. He goes way too high when tackling, he needs to target ball carriers much lower to be successful at the NFL level.

The good news? Both those issues are coachable and correctable. His tremendous agility, instincts, crazy competitive nature......aren't.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM ]
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
I like JJ Wilcox as a good prospect to replace Whitner but I prefer Eric Reid over Cyprien

See Cyprien as having a higher ceiling than Reid. I see Reid as much more conventional, what you see is what you get, guys like Cyprien and Wilcox are only scratching the surface of their true potential.

I'm far more comfortable with Reid up near the line of scrimmage, he's a money tackler whereas Cyprien has a tendency to go high and miss tackles as a result. Conversely, I'm more comfortable with Cyprien in the deep part of the field, he seems to have better lateral movement and agility.

Either safety will do but Free Agency will give us more info if we choose safety early or late depend if we sign a vet at a 1 yr deal or trade for Revis & kick Culliver to safety
[ Edited by Norwalks_Best on Mar 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM ]
He's ranked as late 1st rounder, early 2nd rounder, how exactly is he "vastly overhyped" here? It would also be helpful about what particular aspects you don't agree with, clearly there's something you don't like about the guy, it always helps to elaborate.

Senior bowl week. Can you honestly say he was in the late first round discussion before the senior bowl?
[ Edited by SFrush on Mar 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM ]
I'm in! Pretty impressive
Originally posted by SFrush:
Senior bowl week. Can you honestly say he was in the late first round discussion before the senior bowl?

Do you really want me to go back through the history of lower level players who managed to show that they belonged at an upper level through their performance at the Senior Bowl? There was this one guy named Kaepernick for example who was a supposed 4th rounder but jumped all the way up to even late 1st round consideration after a highly impressive Senior Bowl performance, he seems to be doing okay. The Senior Bowl is HUGE for giving these lower level guys the chance to compete with upper echelon talent and validate their previous play on the field.

Every single year there are lower-level players who show they can hang at the East-West Shrine Game and Senior Bowl. Its one more form of validation for a guy who gets questioned on whether or not he can "get it done" against better talent.

Before the Senior-Bowl, Cyprien was a highly talented and skilled safety with some tremendous natural abilities but questions about whether or not he can perform the same against higher level talent. At the Senior Bowl, he clearly answered those questions and put them to rest.

Another example is Eric Fisher, small school tackle who was regarded as a late 1st rounder.....he dominated at the Senior Bowl, became a Top 10 lock afterwards and now after his excellent Combine, there's talk by some of him being picked before Luke Joeckel even. That's a hell of a leap for a small-school player who got the opportunity to shine against big-time talent.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM ]
If dashon leaves for good we need a safety within our first 3 picks. Cyprien fits the bill, saw his highlights-lowlights vs a good louisville team and came away impressed. Liked the way he played in the box and the way he came after the qb on blitzes. Like that he likes to hit also notice he makes a decision and takes off. Only bad thing i notice he likes to hit when he can make a better play on the ball.
Originally posted by thuglife619:
If dashon leaves for good we need a safety within our first 3 picks. Cyprien fits the bill, saw his highlights-lowlights vs a good louisville team and came away impressed. Liked the way he played in the box and the way he came after the qb on blitzes. Like that he likes to hit also notice he makes a decision and takes off. Only bad thing i notice he likes to hit when he can make a better play on the ball.

Coaching will make a big difference when it comes to this, learning when to simply wrap up and make the tackle vs going for the highlight hit.
Originally posted by SFrush:

I have him in the second. Given S is a huge need for us, and that we have #31 and #34 overall (projected), I fully expect us to use those picks on DL and S.

Cyprien is literally a Goldson clone with better coverage skills. And we don't have to pay $7.5 mil... Seems like a no brainer to me. The kid will fit in very well in this defense.

• KK49
  • Veteran
The question is...... which safety in this darft can cover.. our secondary relies way too much on our d-line and LBs.
Originally posted by KK49:
The question is...... which safety in this darft can cover.. our secondary relies way too much on our d-line and LBs.

Vacarro, Cyprian, and Thomas look like the best FS. Cyprian and Thomas are excellent at playing the run without getting caught in coverage.Cyprian punishes wrs who catch in his zone. He makes plays on the deep ball too. Vacarro can play the run, cover the slot, and keep the top on the house. Really hope we get him.
I like the way he plays all out. We will take him because the Ravens will take him with the next pick i like the way he plays the deep ball has good coverage skills. Goldson bites on underneath routes too much you have great LB's in front of you stay back...can't teach an old dog new tricks...draft him and Sign woodson so he can learn from a hall of famer for a year or two.
[ Edited by SSF49er on Mar 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM ]
Vacarro, Cyprian, and Thomas look like the best FS. Cyprian and Thomas are excellent at playing the run without getting caught in coverage.Cyprian punishes wrs who catch in his zone. He makes plays on the deep ball too. Vacarro can play the run, cover the slot, and keep the top on the house. Really hope we get him.

Rambo is a very good deep safety, his tackling needs work and he doesn't have outstanding quickness but he's another name I'd throw into the ring, albeit in the 3rd round.

I think Wilcox could play free safety, he's very raw but I see him as having the ability to play either position, he's great in man coverage.
  • KK49
  • Veteran

well,, Vacarro it is... then... but i d hate to move up..
Share 49ersWebzone