There are 235 users in the forums

Jonathan Cyprien BANDWAGON

Originally posted by mkmasn:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by KK49:
well,, Vacarro it is... then... but i d hate to move up..

So would I, don't think he's worth it. He's the best safety in this class but the amount that he's ahead by the other prospects isn't that great and there are guys with arguably higher ceilings. Plus he seems to have Carlos Rogers Disease where interceptions seems to bounce right off his hands.

I like Eric Reid myself he more of a starter from day 1, Eric Reid is only a Junior with ball hawking skills with good tackling & coverage skills compared to Cyprien who is a developmental player needs grooming. 49ers need a starter at Safety NOT a Project that is what JJ Wilcox should be in the later rounds.

I don't know how he's a developmental player... He has crazy skills and just needs a training camp to get him up to NFL speed (read: form tackling 100% of the time as opposed to 85%, being a bit more patient [which will help his form tackling and arm tackling]). No reason why he wouldn't be able to start immediately and make an impact.

Reason being Reid in the 2nd/ 3rd is a better Value than Cyprien in the 1st

Jonathon Cyprien: Doesn't have elite range or the height/length combination to play as a single-deep safety. Quick enough to make a hit after the catch when deep, but is often a step slow to recognize the pass coming into his area. Aggressive in coverage, he can be sucked up by play action and will jump underneath routes, allowing plays over the top. Lacks elite change of direction and quickness in man coverage, and does not recover like a corner if beaten by a quick move off the line or in space. Tackles with his body and a poor arm tackler.

Eric Reid: Gets overaggressive at times; will jump on short crossers, opening up the back half of the field, and overrun stretch plays to allow cutback lanes. Not a consistently powerful tackler, and will lunge and miss in the open field as he often fails to break down quickly. Recovery speed will be questioned, might be tough for him to catch NFL receivers if he takes a false step or in the aid of a teammate. Had shoulder surgery after his junior season in high school, though it hasn't hurt him in college.

Ummm... are you trying to make a case for Reid? Lol. I'd take Cyprien on those observations.

On a serious note, though, we rarely keep just one safety back... that's why we covet the Smith bros. and PW/NB so much... we can leave our secondary back to cover. Also, Cyprien is great at covering ground deep in his zone. And I thought he DOESN'T bite on PA.

Anyhow, I see Cyprien as a better version of Goldson, who we're replacing... If we were replacing Whitner, I could go another direction, but Cyprien is projected into the second, and I see him being right there when we pick, either #31 or #34. I don't think Reid is worth trading down for, and definitely not worth a reach at #34.

Of course you would those are opinions based on the level of play which is very different LSU from FIU watch the tape Reid is just a Junior
[ Edited by Norwalks_Best on Mar 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM ]

So would I, don't think he's worth it. He's the best safety in this class but the amount that he's ahead by the other prospects isn't that great and there are guys with arguably higher ceilings. Plus he seems to have Carlos Rogers Disease where interceptions seems to bounce right off his hands.

I like Eric Reid myself he more of a starter from day 1, Eric Reid is only a Junior with ball hawking skills with good tackling & coverage skills compared to Cyprien who is a developmental player needs grooming. 49ers need a starter at Safety NOT a Project that is what JJ Wilcox should be in the later rounds.

I don't know how he's a developmental player... He has crazy skills and just needs a training camp to get him up to NFL speed (read: form tackling 100% of the time as opposed to 85%, being a bit more patient [which will help his form tackling and arm tackling]). No reason why he wouldn't be able to start immediately and make an impact.

Jonathon Cyprien: Doesn't have elite range or the height/length combination to play as a single-deep safety. Quick enough to make a hit after the catch when deep, but is often a step slow to recognize the pass coming into his area. Aggressive in coverage, he can be sucked up by play action and will jump underneath routes, allowing plays over the top. Lacks elite change of direction and quickness in man coverage, and does not recover like a corner if beaten by a quick move off the line or in space. Tackles with his body and a poor arm tackler.

Eric Reid: Gets overaggressive at times; will jump on short crossers, opening up the back half of the field, and overrun stretch plays to allow cutback lanes. Not a consistently powerful tackler, and will lunge and miss in the open field as he often fails to break down quickly. Recovery speed will be questioned, might be tough for him to catch NFL receivers if he takes a false step or in the aid of a teammate. Had shoulder surgery after his junior season in high school, though it hasn't hurt him in college.

Ummm... are you trying to make a case for Reid? Lol. I'd take Cyprien on those observations.

On a serious note, though, we rarely keep just one safety back... that's why we covet the Smith bros. and PW/NB so much... we can leave our secondary back to cover. Also, Cyprien is great at covering ground deep in his zone. And I thought he DOESN'T bite on PA.

Anyhow, I see Cyprien as a better version of Goldson, who we're replacing... If we were replacing Whitner, I could go another direction, but Cyprien is projected into the second, and I see him being right there when we pick, either #31 or #34. I don't think Reid is worth trading down for, and definitely not worth a reach at #34.

Of course you would those are opinions based on the level of play which is very different LSU from FIU watch the tape

Or Reid's stock rose from being surrounded by LSU talent... a DB selected #6 overall and a S in the top 100... Reid is below both of them. I mean, straight up, from walter football:

Reid was asked to do more this year with Claiborne, Taylor and Mathieu having all moved on from LSU. As a result, Reid was exposed. The junior's pass coverage was just bad. He was routinely beaten for big plays through the air and was a liability in pass coverage all year.

When these small school guys get to the Combine and their Pro Days, and are compared to the rest of these kids, nationally, for the first time, why is it Cyprien's stock went through the roof and Reid's stock fell (third round definitely a possibility on this kid)?

Of course you would those are opinions based on the level of play which is very different LSU from FIU watch the tape

Or Reid's stock rose from being surrounded by LSU talent... a DB selected #6 overall and a S in the top 100... Reid is below both of them. I mean, straight up, from walter football:

Reid was asked to do more this year with Claiborne, Taylor and Mathieu having all moved on from LSU. As a result, Reid was exposed. The junior's pass coverage was just bad. He was routinely beaten for big plays through the air and was a liability in pass coverage all year.

When these small school guys get to the Combine and their Pro Days, and are compared to the rest of these kids, nationally, for the first time, why is it Cyprien's stock went through the roof and Reid's stock fell (third round definitely a possibility on this kid)?

You do know LSU had freshmen CB's? But Played great in the Alabama, Texas A&M, South Carolina Games. He is not perfect but has alot of upside like I said watch the tape.

First of all he was on the map because of the Senior Bowl which was over blown because of poor QB play. 2 he didn't participate in the Combine, 3 his Pro Day was average. Reid put better numbers in the combine & career than Cyprien his stock has not dropped. To me, JJ Wilcox from Georgia Southern is a better prospect than Cyprien & he only played 1 yr on defense.

You do know LSU had freshmen CB's? But Played great in the Alabama, Texas A&M, South Carolina Games. He is not perfect but has alot of upside like I said watch the tape.

First of all he was on the map because of the Senior Bowl which was over blown because of poor QB play. 2 he didn't participate in the Combine, 3 his Pro Day was average. Reid put better numbers in the combine & career than Cyprien his stock has not dropped. To me, JJ Wilcox from Georgia Southern is a better prospect than Cyprien & he only played 1 yr on defense.

Pretty sure what I quoted takes that into account... S and DB leaving, then Reid gets exposed...

I suggest you go check the stats, Cyprien had better years, every year. Except in the INT category. But he makes up for that in Forced Fumbles. So, I'm not sure why you think Reid is a better prospect than Cyprien...Sorry, I see Reid as benefitting from the best defense in the nation. I see Cyprien as a guy who carried the FIU defense...
Cyprien is Taylor Mays all over again. Bits on Play action. We have 2 dumba** Safties that do that already. We need a guy with real range and is a ballhawk
Originally posted by suckafree17:
Cyprien is Taylor Mays all over again. Bits on Play action. We have 2 dumba** Safties that do that already. We need a guy with real range and is a ballhawk

I don't know where this biting on play action thing is coming from... Everything I've seen and read says just the opposite.

Here's from CBS Sports:
Strengths: Well-built defender who certainly looks the part of an NFL safety. Aggressive playing style and active demeanor. Took advantage of the Senior Bowl opportunity, standing out with his full-speed effort from the first practice. Enjoys the physical nature of the position. Meets the ballcarrier with a pop and refuses to let up.

Good ball skills. Shows the ability to extend and snatch the ball out of the air. Has consistently played well against so-called "top" competition over his career, enjoying standout performances in past years against the likes of Texas A&M, Rutgers, Maryland and Louisville, among others.

Weaknesses: Some have concerns about Cyprien's straight-line speed. Played a lot of two-deep coverage at FIU, showing the ability to play halves but not necessarily operate as a true centerfielder. Takes highly aggressive angles to the ball and consistently tackles ballcarriers high, two potential areas of concern considering the significant jump in competition he'll be making. There may be some initial struggles.

Compares To: Morgan Burnett, SS, Green Bay Packers -- Surrounded by big names in the Packers' secondary, Burnett is quietly emerging as one of the league's better young safeties. He was targeted early by opponents as a rookie before going down with a torn ACL. Hopefully Cyprien won't have to deal with an injury, but he could struggle through similar growing pains. Once acclimated to the speed of the NFL, however, he also could rise quickly.

Walter Football:
3/9/13: Cyprien is one of those small-school players who really helped himself at the Senior Bowl. He made his presence felt all week. Cyprien was a tough defender who was hitting hard in the ground game. He also really impressed with his pass coverage by demonstrating the ability to run with receivers and cover tight ends. The passing-driven NFL is looking for safeties with that skill set.

The senior led his team with 93 tackles in 2012. He also contributed four interceptions, five passes broken up and one forced fumble. There is a lot to like about Cyprien, and it looks like he has improved his draft stock to contend for the first round.

The only place I see saying he gets sucked in on play action is NFL.com.
STRENGTHS Looks and plays like a strong in-the-box safety with solid thickness throughout his build. Holds his ground against blocks from bigger opponents, and also runs through traffic to wrap up ballcarriers inside (sometimes as a fast edge blitzer). Possesses enough speed and athleticism to cover ground as a zone defender in the back half and line up against slot receivers inside. Closes on stretch runs and quick throws to outside receivers even when playing well back from the line. Beats receiver blocks with quickness or strength. His secure tackling in those situations is also notable, as he brings some attitude into his attempts unlike other defensive backs in this class. Used as a blitzer on run and pass plays, can overpower running back blocks.
WEAKNESSES Doesn't have elite range or the height/length combination to play as a single-deep safety. Quick enough to make a hit after the catch when deep, but is often a step slow to recognize the pass coming into his area. Aggressive in coverage, he can be sucked up by play action and will jump underneath routes, allowing plays over the top. Lacks elite change of direction and quickness in man coverage, and does not recover like a corner if beaten by a quick move off the line or in space.
NFL COMPARISON Jordan Babineaux
BOTTOM LINE One of the hardest-hitting safeties in the 2013 draft class, Cyprien offers enough range to be reliable in box coverage while displaying an aggressive mentality againt ball carriers and receivers. He plays smart, and that might be the most improtant trait when looking at safeties. However, despite it being unique, Cyprien doesn't have a very well known name ... yet.
[ Edited by mkmasn on Mar 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM ]

Absolutely.
Pretty sure what I quoted takes that into account... S and DB leaving, then Reid gets exposed...

I suggest you go check the stats, Cyprien had better years, every year. Except in the INT category. But he makes up for that in Forced Fumbles. So, I'm not sure why you think Reid is a better prospect than Cyprien...Sorry, I see Reid as benefitting from the best defense in the nation. I see Cyprien as a guy who carried the FIU defense...

Against weaker competition than Reid faced in the SEC. Let's not get carried away with stats.
[ Edited by SFrush on Mar 11, 2013 at 2:01 AM ]
Originally posted by SFrush:

Absolutely.

Ummm... Cyprien is projected early second... And when the pay rate for a first round pick and a second round pick is a couple hundred thousand dollars, value picks don't mean a thing. Cyprien is the better player, hands down.

Originally posted by SFrush:

Against weaker competition than Reid faced in the SEC. Let's not get carried away with stats.

And Reid got exposed after his top rated secondary left last year... With the best defense in the nation, no less... I don't understand how we're even discussing competition...

The fact is, Cyprien carried his defense, against teams like Texas A&M, Rutgers, etc... which are pretty good teams, regardless of conference. Reid got burnt. You would think a safety with the best defense in the nation would have more than 2 picks.

Let me finish the analysis from Walter Football:

Reid started 2012 with a mixed outing against North Texas. He had seven tackles, an interception and a pass broken up, but also was burned for two touchdowns. Reid struggled in run support versus Florida and took some bad angles with weak tackling attempts. He played better against South Carolina and Texas A&M with a mixed outing against Alabama.

Reid had a bowl performance to close out his collegiate career that was a microcosm for his overall game. He had some hard hits and nice tackles, but was burned in pass coverage. Reid totaled 91 tackles, seven passes broken up, two interceptions and zero forced fumbles in 2012.

As a player, Reid should've gone back to school and improved his pass coverage before going pro. That decision has worked out for players like former Alabama safety Mark Barron and Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o. They both improved their pass coverage as seniors which sent their draft stocks skyrocketing.

Reid is strictly a strong safety for the NFL until he gets better in pass coverage. Reid will be a good run-defender who can fit as the eighth man in the box. He doesn't have the ability to play man coverage on a slot receiver or a skilled tight end, or defend the deep part of the field. Whichever team Reid lands with will have to protect him in pass coverage. He may be a backup and rotational safety to start out his professional career while he develops his pass coverage.

The NFL is a passing-driven league so that is a horrible weakness for Reid to have. It could cause a draft day fall. Right now, he looks like a second-round pick, but falling to the third round isn't out of the realm of possibility.
[ Edited by mkmasn on Mar 11, 2013 at 2:22 AM ]

i see no comparison to Taylor Mays whatsoever

Originally posted by SF69ers:

Beat me to it.

Cyprien made plays all over the field.

Mays was a physical freak who didn't make any plays.
I see Reid and Cyprien as better SS than FS at the next level, still looking for a ball hawk this year.
  • KK49
  • Veteran

so u r sayin they both suck??? thats what i think after readin all this..... then who else?? wilcox???
  • KK49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
I see Reid and Cyprien as better SS than FS at the next level, still looking for a ball hawk this year.

i guess u r right...
Originally posted by SF69ers:

This...what the hell? Cyprien is far far better in coverage compared to Mays. He's a hard hitter, but also very quick and agile, good hips...etc.
Share 49ersWebzone