LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 417 users in the forums

Jonathan Cyprien BANDWAGON

"FIU S Johnathan Cyprien ran a forty in the low 4.5s during the school's pro day.

Cyprien missed the forty at the NFL Combine due to a hamstring injury, so today's times will be the first teams' take during the draft process. His second run reportedly was in the high 4.5s. We think Cyprien has a great chance to be the second safety selected in April"

rotoworld.com

Exactly about what I expected, mid 4.5 speed.
Originally posted by KK49:
well,, Vacarro it is... then... but i d hate to move up..

So would I, don't think he's worth it. He's the best safety in this class but the amount that he's ahead by the other prospects isn't that great and there are guys with arguably higher ceilings. Plus he seems to have Carlos Rogers Disease where interceptions seems to bounce right off his hands.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
"FIU S Johnathan Cyprien ran a forty in the low 4.5s during the school's pro day.

Cyprien missed the forty at the NFL Combine due to a hamstring injury, so today's times will be the first teams' take during the draft process. His second run reportedly was in the high 4.5s. We think Cyprien has a great chance to be the second safety selected in April"

rotoworld.com

Exactly about what I expected, mid 4.5 speed.

I always dock pro day 40s 1/10th a sec. compared to combine times
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Wouldn't be upset with Cyprien. Gotta figure the F/O does more homework than I do... but I like 5 safeties over him right now.

Me too. I like Phillip Thomas from Fresno st a lil more than Cyprien
I like this guy. But will he be available when we pick?
Originally posted by suckafree17:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Wouldn't be upset with Cyprien. Gotta figure the F/O does more homework than I do... but I like 5 safeties over him right now.

Me too. I like Phillip Thomas from Fresno st a lil more than Cyprien

I have certainly seen more of the other safeties, I never watched any of his games. Kind of a mystery in that way.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
I have certainly seen more of the other safeties, I never watched any of his games. Kind of a mystery in that way.

There's plenty of games on youtube.
@NFLDraftScout: Johnathan Cyprien shouldn't make it out of round one. Safety with range and man he can hit.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I like this guy. But will he be available when we pick?

he most likely will but he is shooting up the draft boards.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

So would I, don't think he's worth it. He's the best safety in this class but the amount that he's ahead by the other prospects isn't that great and there are guys with arguably higher ceilings. Plus he seems to have Carlos Rogers Disease where interceptions seems to bounce right off his hands.

I like Eric Reid myself he more of a starter from day 1, Eric Reid is only a Junior with ball hawking skills with good tackling & coverage skills compared to Cyprien who is a developmental player needs grooming. 49ers need a starter at Safety NOT a Project that is what JJ Wilcox should be in the later rounds.
[ Edited by Norwalks_Best on Mar 10, 2013 at 7:45 PM ]

Cyprien is a nice safety but I rather have TJ McDonald in the 3rd. Not sure why he doesn't get more love
Originally posted by kronik:
Cyprien is a nice safety but I rather have TJ McDonald in the 3rd. Not sure why he doesn't get more love

Because he's another of the "hard hitting, great close to the line of scrimmage but flimsy coverage skills" sort of safety.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

I like Eric Reid myself he more of a starter from day 1, Eric Reid is only a Junior with ball hawking skills with good tackling & coverage skills compared to Cyprien who is a developmental player needs grooming. 49ers need a starter at Safety NOT a Project that is what JJ Wilcox should be in the later rounds.

I don't know how he's a developmental player... He has crazy skills and just needs a training camp to get him up to NFL speed (read: form tackling 100% of the time as opposed to 85%, being a bit more patient [which will help his form tackling and arm tackling]). No reason why he wouldn't be able to start immediately and make an impact.
Originally posted by mkmasn:

I don't know how he's a developmental player... He has crazy skills and just needs a training camp to get him up to NFL speed (read: form tackling 100% of the time as opposed to 85%, being a bit more patient [which will help his form tackling and arm tackling]). No reason why he wouldn't be able to start immediately and make an impact.

Reason being Reid in the 2nd/ 3rd is a better Value than Cyprien in the 1st

Jonathon Cyprien: Doesn't have elite range or the height/length combination to play as a single-deep safety. Quick enough to make a hit after the catch when deep, but is often a step slow to recognize the pass coming into his area. Aggressive in coverage, he can be sucked up by play action and will jump underneath routes, allowing plays over the top. Lacks elite change of direction and quickness in man coverage, and does not recover like a corner if beaten by a quick move off the line or in space. Tackles with his body and a poor arm tackler.

Eric Reid: Gets overaggressive at times; will jump on short crossers, opening up the back half of the field, and overrun stretch plays to allow cutback lanes. Not a consistently powerful tackler, and will lunge and miss in the open field as he often fails to break down quickly. Recovery speed will be questioned, might be tough for him to catch NFL receivers if he takes a false step or in the aid of a teammate. Had shoulder surgery after his junior season in high school, though it hasn't hurt him in college.
Originally posted by mkmasn:

Reason being Reid in the 2nd/ 3rd is a better Value than Cyprien in the 1st

Jonathon Cyprien: Doesn't have elite range or the height/length combination to play as a single-deep safety. Quick enough to make a hit after the catch when deep, but is often a step slow to recognize the pass coming into his area. Aggressive in coverage, he can be sucked up by play action and will jump underneath routes, allowing plays over the top. Lacks elite change of direction and quickness in man coverage, and does not recover like a corner if beaten by a quick move off the line or in space. Tackles with his body and a poor arm tackler.

Eric Reid: Gets overaggressive at times; will jump on short crossers, opening up the back half of the field, and overrun stretch plays to allow cutback lanes. Not a consistently powerful tackler, and will lunge and miss in the open field as he often fails to break down quickly. Recovery speed will be questioned, might be tough for him to catch NFL receivers if he takes a false step or in the aid of a teammate. Had shoulder surgery after his junior season in high school, though it hasn't hurt him in college.

Ummm... are you trying to make a case for Reid? Lol. I'd take Cyprien on those observations.

On a serious note, though, we rarely keep just one safety back... that's why we covet the Smith bros. and PW/NB so much... we can leave our secondary back to cover. Also, Cyprien is great at covering ground deep in his zone. And I thought he DOESN'T bite on PA.

Anyhow, I see Cyprien as a better version of Goldson, who we're replacing... If we were replacing Whitner, I could go another direction, but Cyprien is projected into the second, and I see him being right there when we pick, either #31 or #34. I don't think Reid is worth trading down for, and definitely not worth a reach at #34.
[ Edited by mkmasn on Mar 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone