There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who knows anything about datone jones?

  • rtj03
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 511
I'm starting to like the idea of drafting him but only know of him from what I've read. Has anyone personally watched him?

My worries with him is that I don't like players that stand out for only one year. Before his senior season I'm reading everywhere that he was inconsistent.

Who can add to what kind of a player he is from first hand knowledge.
After reading this, I think he'll be our #1 pick if he's there. Sounds like a complete and total Harbaugh/Baalke guy.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1547243-why-datone-jones-is-the-best-nfl-draft-prospect-nobody-is-talking-about
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,536
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
After reading this, I think he'll be our #1 pick if he's there. Sounds like a complete and total Harbaugh/Baalke guy.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1547243-why-datone-jones-is-the-best-nfl-draft-prospect-nobody-is-talking-about


No smart phone.

No twitter account

Now, I want him.
Jones is not short on confidence and loves football—it is all he talks about. It's always "J.J. Watt this" or "Geno Atkins that"; Jones is an avid NFL fan that loves the game of football. It's like being around a kid who won't stop talking about his obsession with dinosaurs or something.

Jones is so competitive that he hung out by our broadcast booth during his teammates' interviews. He wanted to size himself up against the other players who were interacting with the media.

In short, he wanted to win every aspect of the Senior Bowl.

When his teammates in Mobile universally went from one media obligation to the next in sweatpants and workout gear, Jones wore a suit.

Jones does not have a Twitter account and does not sit around fiddling with a smart phone while waiting for "handlers" to tell him where to go next during these all-star events. He introduces himself to people and begins talking to them about football. He says he's thought about getting on Twitter, "but it seems like a distraction."

LOVE IT!!!
would love Jones, but I feel like he'll be selected before our pick is up.
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Jones is not short on confidence and loves football—it is all he talks about. It's always "J.J. Watt this" or "Geno Atkins that"; Jones is an avid NFL fan that loves the game of football. It's like being around a kid who won't stop talking about his obsession with dinosaurs or something.

Jones is so competitive that he hung out by our broadcast booth during his teammates' interviews. He wanted to size himself up against the other players who were interacting with the media.

In short, he wanted to win every aspect of the Senior Bowl.

When his teammates in Mobile universally went from one media obligation to the next in sweatpants and workout gear, Jones wore a suit.

Jones does not have a Twitter account and does not sit around fiddling with a smart phone while waiting for "handlers" to tell him where to go next during these all-star events. He introduces himself to people and begins talking to them about football. He says he's thought about getting on Twitter, "but it seems like a distraction."

LOVE IT!!!


He's got all the tools for this team to work with to develop him as a replacement for Justin Smith.


Pass rush ability

Explosive athletic ability

Strong run stopper

Good field awareness

High Motor


Would trade up for him, worried he'll end up in Seattle.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
would love Jones, but I feel like he'll be selected before our pick is up.

I have been saying this ever since the Senior Bowl. Phoenix might finally be coming around to that possibility.
From what I've been reading, he'll be gone before we pick at #31. How far up will we have to go to get him?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
would love Jones, but I feel like he'll be selected before our pick is up.

I have been saying this ever since the Senior Bowl. Phoenix might finally be coming around to that possibility.

We definitely have the ammunition to trade up for Jones.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
We definitely have the ammunition to trade up for Jones.

This. I don't think they'd have to trade up far, maybe just to jump in front of Seattle.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
would love Jones, but I feel like he'll be selected before our pick is up.

I have been saying this ever since the Senior Bowl. Phoenix might finally be coming around to that possibility.

He just wants to make sure we don't take Margus Hunt.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
He just wants to make sure we don't take Margus Hunt.

f**k Margus Hunt. If you have the choice between Datone Jones and Margus Hunt and you opt for the later, you're officially out of your damn mind.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
He just wants to make sure we don't take Margus Hunt.

f**k Margus Hunt. If you have the choice between Datone Jones and Margus Hunt and you opt for the later, you're officially out of your damn mind.

I have Jones ranked above Hunt, but so does other teams. Mayock has them rated as 5a and 5b.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I have Jones ranked above Hunt, but so does other teams. Mayock has them rated as 5a and 5b.

Hence the trading up, although that may not even be necessary, last year Kendall Reyes was ranked to go in the Top 25 picks by some...he ended up in the middle of the 2nd round.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I have Jones ranked above Hunt, but so does other teams. Mayock has them rated as 5a and 5b.

Hence the trading up, although that may not even be necessary, last year Kendall Reyes was ranked to go in the Top 25 picks by some...he ended up in the middle of the 2nd round.

Honestly, the only player I'm willing to trade up for that might be available starting at 18, is Sheldon Richardson. Other than that, I feel like if we stayed at 31, we might be able to get Datone Jones, Jonathan Banks, John Hankins, Margus Hunt, or Jonathan Cyprien.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home