There are 139 users in the forums

Who knows anything about datone jones?

• Riot
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Overkill:
Statistically speaking, there have been more successful Margus's than Datones. Margus Ragnard (Rolf) Rasmussen, for example, was one of the youngest Viking sea captains in history, and I think we can both agree that post modern dance would not be the same without Margus Svardsson. So yes, I'd rather have a Margus.

Hahaha, great post.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Datone has been a favorite of mine for a while now... really want him more than any other with our # 31.. and wouldn't even mind if we traded up to make sure we get him. Moved inside our D, he has the quickness, power, and determination to be an outstanding heir apparent to Justin. He can also easily play anywhere on the line when we go to Nickel.

Right now, a favorite start to the draft for me is:

# 31 - Datone Jones - DE - UCLA
# 34 - Tyler Eifert or Zach Ertz - TE - ND/Stanford

trade up with # 61 + # 93 to get inside the top 50 to select:

# 50 - D.J. Swearinger or Eric Reid - S - SC/LSU
# 76 - Aaron Dobson - WR - Marshall
#127 - BPA on CB or rush LB

then trade back up with the large number of late picks for BPA on CB or rush LB not taken the pick prior

... something like that is ideal for me.

This is exactly what I want to see happen. Datone, Eifert, trade up for DJ. If we pulled that off, we'd be a significantly better team next year. That said, at 76 I'll still take Brandon Williams to fill our NT slot. #127 can be used on a WR or CB.
Soccer style kicker graduated from Collier High June 1976, Stetson University honors graduate class of 1980, holds 2 NCAA Division One records, one for most points in a season, one for distance, former nickname "The Mule," the first and only pro-athlete ever to come out of Collier County and one hell of a model American.

Ohhh Datone Jones? Thought you said Ray Finkle. My bad.
Originally posted by FearItself:
Datone has been a favorite of mine for a while now... really want him more than any other with our # 31.. and wouldn't even mind if we traded up to make sure we get him. Moved inside our D, he has the quickness, power, and determination to be an outstanding heir apparent to Justin. He can also easily play anywhere on the line when we go to Nickel.

then trade back up with the large number of late picks for BPA on CB or rush LB not taken the pick prior

This is exactly what I want to see happen. Datone, Eifert, trade up for DJ. If we pulled that off, we'd be a significantly better team next year. That said, at 76 I'll still take Brandon Williams to fill our NT slot. #127 can be used on a WR or CB.

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
UCLA's anthony barr had such success this past season as a premier pass rusher because datone jones was on the inside occupying multiple blockers, allowing barr to swoop in and get the sack. Does Jones sound like anyone we know? the next justin smith

This term is getting a little loose.
Being from my old 'hood, I know his peeps. Big kid and has some heart. I wouldnt mind him in the 2nd/3rd rd..
Originally posted by FearItself:

Sign me up for this.
Completely overrated.
He's a good one...but at @ 280, a bit undersized to play DE in our 3-4. I understand Justin Smith's @ 290, but there are very few DL who can get the push he does. I'd rather have a couple of 300+ bad-asses who can play both inside and out. We really don't need a "pure" NT to replace Sopoaga. Would also sign a FA...Starks would be awesome, but maybe pricey. There are some others who'd help, like Sammie Lee Hill, Jason Jones, Roy Miller, Mike DeVito, etc.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
He's a good one...but at @ 280, a bit undersized to play DE in our 3-4. I understand Justin Smith's @ 290, but there are very few DL who can get the push he does. I'd rather have a couple of 300+ bad-asses who can play both inside and out. We really don't need a "pure" NT to replace Sopoaga. Would also sign a FA...Starks would be awesome, but maybe pricey. There are some others who'd help, like Sammie Lee Hill, Jason Jones, Roy Miller, Mike DeVito, etc.

Justin Smith was 270 pounds when he entered the NFL....are you claiming that a guy won't gain weight with a pro-style strength training program?

And what do you use to support your assertion that the 49ers really don't need a "pure NT" to replace Soap?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM ]

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Justin Smith was 270 pounds when he entered the NFL....are you claiming that a guy won't gain weight with a pro-style strength training program?

And what do you use to support your assertion that the 49ers really don't need a "pure NT" to replace Soap?

He didn't say Jones couldn't gain the weight he said that very few guys that size can't get the push that he does which from the tap I have seen he doesn't push enough to command the double team. Hes easily dealt with by the tackle in the Stanford and USC game.

By pure NT he meant he doesn't want to 350 pound behemoth. He want's someone that can rotate DE/NT. I agree with him. This is why I like Jesse Williams.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Jones will be gone before our pick. We'd have to trade up for him. He's been rising up draft boards since the senior bowl and continued to impress with his combine performance.

nah for now, he is still considered a early 2nd round pick but he could see a draft day burst like bruce irvin did

Trust me, hes worked his way into the 20s. Highly doubt he makes it to 31.

thank god we have the ammo to move up if anything
We HAVE to get this guy.. Anyone this committed is going to at the very least be an average NFL starter..

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49-in-49-DE-Datone-Jones/4cf58fa9-8af9-4b76-816a-a8868dcc9c6f
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Can never trust a guy with the name Datone
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He's got all the tools for this team to work with to develop him as a replacement for Justin Smith.

Pass rush ability

Explosive athletic ability

Strong run stopper

Good field awareness

High Motor

Would trade up for him, worried he'll end up in Seattle.

With Seattles off season moves, you won't have to worry about that now.
Share 49ersWebzone