LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Scenario: Keenan Allen falls to #31

Scenario: Keenan Allen falls to #31

Originally posted by buck:
I basically agree. But, most likely, we will need a nose tackle capable of starting on day.

We should not need a defensive to start this year. We do have two starters.

We could use a starting wide receiver to go with Crabtree.

We need a young stud to groom for Justin smiths retirement otherwise were going to get a huge drop off in production at his spot. Which is probably unavoidable but still without the pass rush on the line our system suffers.
That is why Baalke gets the big bucks, to make these kinds of decisions. If Allen is on the top of the 49ers board and he is available then pick him.
I can hear the complaining now if we do pass on him. It will be just as bad when we passed on Desean.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
NO! They need a couple very serious D-linemen before they think about anything else including safety. Receiver is down the list. It's probably wishful thinking to hope that J. Hankins falls to their position, but Jesse Williams could possibly be there. I'd like to see him or someone like him with the first pick and then package some picks to move up to higher in the second and pick up J. Jenkins - just go all in on the nose tackle position with a 6'4", 360 lb guy there who absolutely needs two blockers and still crushes the inside of the pocket. Then, pick the best safety available to compete with Whitner - someone faster who can cover better. They've already got a ferocious hitter back there - Goldson.

I assume that we draft Jessie Williams to play DE. am I correct?

Yes, that's what I had in mind.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Yes, that's what I had in mind.

That is encouraging.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
I basically agree. But, most likely, we will need a nose tackle capable of starting on day.

We should not need a defensive to start this year. We do have two starters.

We could use a starting wide receiver to go with Crabtree.

We need a young stud to groom for Justin smiths retirement otherwise were going to get a huge drop off in production at his spot. Which is probably unavoidable but still without the pass rush on the line our system suffers.

It sounds like we agree. Yes, we need to bring in an understudy for Justin Smith.

Expectling any player to replicate Justin Smith's game is probably not realistic.

We need pass rush from the defensive line, especially we need more from the nose tackle
Yes. He's far and away my favorite player in the draft.

I saw him play for the first time against Oregon in 2011 and that was all I needed to see to realize he's the real deal.
[ Edited by OregonDuckNiner on Feb 20, 2013 at 5:51 PM ]
Yes if it's BPA
you trade the pick.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
You know I've seen all his games and I'd take him. There's some Cal homerism in that but I really do think he's going to be a star. I think he plays faster than Crabtree. He's a good kid we should draft him. Our scouts did go to a lot of Cal games so hopefully he's atop their wish list

NO ! Move up for next years draft
[ Edited by JD9671 on Feb 20, 2013 at 8:15 PM ]
I wouldn't be disappointed because I think the guy is good. Baltimore has the Boldin vs Torrey Smith combo. That's pretty much what fitz and Boldin were too. Crabtree moves the chains for us. We need more of a home run threat.
I answered No. I am a huge Pac-12 fan and college football fan. I hated it when we passed on Rodgers and D. Jackson and Vereen for that matter, cant remember if we even had a chance to select Lynch, but Cal has a proven track record for producing elite skill position players recently. And for that reason alone I would have to do double the homework on this kid if he were available at the 31 spot. But there a lot negatives about his game. First, his stats are boosted because his half brother threw to him on over 60% of pass plays even if he was doubled. Second he doesn't too much after the catch. Third, he is not seen as having elite size or speed. Last, and probably of most important to our management is he when he was hurt, the severity of it was question and it's assumed he didn't come back early to play so he was ready for the draft.
In the end, I'm passing on him as I would rather have Dobson form Marshall assuming Patterson from Tenn is gone. Dobson's route running and hands remind me of Crabtree, everyone thinks we need someone to have a different skill set from Crabtree, but I'd rather have a player just like him or very similar to him on the other side.
This is a verry realy scenario. Every year players free fall. My motto is to take the value. Last season several value players fell, and the niners overdrafted on a potential player. I would take a WR like Kennan Allen who had no qb (even though it was his half brother at cal) and the defenses always double teamed him.

The draft is deep at DE/DT. If Allen fell, you draft BPA to help you win. Then you have the ammo to trade up in round 2 to get your DL help.
Originally posted by loyalniner:
I think Allen has little (to none) upside opposite Crabtree. Not saying he wouldn't be productive. But I think we would need either a speed guy (4.35-4.4) or a tall/physical guy (6'3"-6'4") opposite Crabtree. I vote the latter. Seeing as Justin Hunter and Da'Rick Rogers will both be there toward the end of the second, I'd go with one of them. A redzone jump ball guy (maybe then those last few SB plays go better and we win?). Then we get DL or secondary help in the first and still get the type of complementary receiver in the second!

You do realize that Allen is 6'3" right??? He is THAT physical receiver to put opposite Crabtree, even if he's an inch under that or whatever, he still has tremendous physical ability.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 21, 2013 at 6:13 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone