There are 225 users in the forums

Scenario: Keenan Allen falls to #31

Scenario: Keenan Allen falls to #31

Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by D-Money:
I answered No. I am a huge Pac-12 fan and college football fan. I hated it when we passed on Rodgers and D. Jackson and Vereen for that matter, cant remember if we even had a chance to select Lynch, but Cal has a proven track record for producing elite skill position players recently. And for that reason alone I would have to do double the homework on this kid if he were available at the 31 spot. But there a lot negatives about his game. First, his stats are boosted because his half brother threw to him on over 60% of pass plays even if he was doubled. Second he doesn't too much after the catch. Third, he is not seen as having elite size or speed. Last, and probably of most important to our management is he when he was hurt, the severity of it was question and it's assumed he didn't come back early to play so he was ready for the draft.
In the end, I'm passing on him as I would rather have Dobson form Marshall assuming Patterson from Tenn is gone. Dobson's route running and hands remind me of Crabtree, everyone thinks we need someone to have a different skill set from Crabtree, but I'd rather have a player just like him or very similar to him on the other side.

Damn, you REALLY have a bad perception of the guy. You don't think him breaking the school record for career receptions had anything to do with being a bonified 5-star talent? Even if he was doubled he was still catching balls. His brother's crappy throws allowed him to show his ability to adjust to a throw and make unorthodox catches. Doesn't do much after the catch? You need to watch more tape. 6'3" is pretty damn good size, and im sure his speed is in the 4.5 range (what was Jerry's 40 again?). By the way, even if your last point is true, Cla had NOTHING to play for, so that doesn't bother me at all.

If you want someone similar to Crabtree, Allen is your guy

You mad bro?
And no he looks nothing like Crabtree, watch a lot of college ball man. Seen him play many times. The only thing you're right about are crappy throws from his bro. I watch the games you watch the tape. Cause you obviously are just going off stats.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by loyalniner:
I think Allen has little (to none) upside opposite Crabtree. Not saying he wouldn't be productive. But I think we would need either a speed guy (4.35-4.4) or a tall/physical guy (6'3"-6'4") opposite Crabtree. I vote the latter. Seeing as Justin Hunter and Da'Rick Rogers will both be there toward the end of the second, I'd go with one of them. A redzone jump ball guy (maybe then those last few SB plays go better and we win?). Then we get DL or secondary help in the first and still get the type of complementary receiver in the second!

You do realize that Allen is 6'3" right??? He is THAT physical receiver to put opposite Crabtree, even if he's an inch under that or whatever, he still has tremendous physical ability.

You're right. I've heard so much about Tavon Austin going to us in the first that when I first responded that's who I thought we were talking about. That's where that was going. Thanks for bringing me back to the post at hand! As for Allen, yes. I like him a lot. Great physical specimen and one heck of a football player. Would be a great receiver across from Crabtree
height and weight forty times BLAH BLAH BLare a bit overrated.

DUDE MAKES PLAYS
BIG PLAYS, PLAYS BIG
WHO CAN MAKE A PLAY?

TRADE UP FOR HIM his play speaks for itself
Originally posted by vrabbit:
I answered No. I am a huge Pac-12 fan and college football fan. I hated it when we passed on Rodgers and D. Jackson and Vereen for that matter, cant remember if we even had a chance to select Lynch, but Cal has a proven track record for producing elite skill position players recently. And for that reason alone I would have to do double the homework on this kid if he were available at the 31 spot. But there a lot negatives about his game. First, his stats are boosted because his half brother threw to him on over 60% of pass plays even if he was doubled. Second he doesn't too much after the catch. Third, he is not seen as having elite size or speed. Last, and probably of most important to our management is he when he was hurt, the severity of it was question and it's assumed he didn't come back early to play so he was ready for the draft.
In the end, I'm passing on him as I would rather have Dobson form Marshall assuming Patterson from Tenn is gone. Dobson's route running and hands remind me of Crabtree, everyone thinks we need someone to have a different skill set from Crabtree, but I'd rather have a player just like him or very similar to him on the other side.

Damn, you REALLY have a bad perception of the guy. You don't think him breaking the school record for career receptions had anything to do with being a bonified 5-star talent? Even if he was doubled he was still catching balls. His brother's crappy throws allowed him to show his ability to adjust to a throw and make unorthodox catches. Doesn't do much after the catch? You need to watch more tape. 6'3" is pretty damn good size, and im sure his speed is in the 4.5 range (what was Jerry's 40 again?). By the way, even if your last point is true, Cla had NOTHING to play for, so that doesn't bother me at all.

If you want someone similar to Crabtree, Allen is your guy

You mad bro?
And no he looks nothing like Crabtree, watch a lot of college ball man. Seen him play many times. The only thing you're right about are crappy throws from his bro. I watch the games you watch the tape. Cause you obviously are just going off stats.

I am a Cal fan, I watch all off their games, it's why it baffles me you say stuff like "he doesn't do too much after the catch" Here's how I would go even further to dismiss that statement: plenty of WR screen plays and end-arounds were called him, was that because he doesn't do mich after the catch? Oh, he returned punts too.
[ Edited by vrabbit on Feb 22, 2013 at 6:34 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
It also depends on who else is on the board.
THIS
  • dmax
  • Veteran
linemen first..period
Originally posted by dmax:
linemen first..period

Id rather take a receiver who should go in the first than reach for a lineman that will be there in the second.

That said I like Justin Hunter and Tavon Austin more than Allen.
I'm down for Allen or the little dude from WV. I know DL is a priority, but we saw how it worked out when we took priority over BPA (see Jenkins, Balmer, etc)
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Really depends on where he's ranked on their board because that's all that matters. If Allen is high on the 49ers board and he drops to them at #31, you definitely pick him. They have plenty of picks and might have even more after trading Smith to move back in to the early/mid 2nd to get a top d-lineman, so I don't see an issue with it.

Exactly. If there is not a D lineman or Corner we have rated more highly, you take him. I see those needs as almost equal, so you take the BPA at a position of need. Allen is a playmaker, I could care less that he doesn't run a 4.3, he's going to be a good wideout for a long time IMO. He has some Dez and Nicks to his game, based on talent alone I doubt he's there and if he is he will most likely be BPA. His greatest strength is his YAC, if Jenkins can provide some sort of deep threat, Allen is a big body who I think is big enough and strong enough to augment our red zone offense.
The Niners have interviewed him at the Combine:

https://twitter.com/mattbarrows

Why draft a WR first every year? What are we.. the Lions?
Originally posted by hofer36:
allen seems to be very similar to crabtree in terms of playing style...do the niners want their top two receivers to be of similar traits or would they better be served by having a #2 receiver whose game is different (and complementary) to Crabtree's such as a speed guy

worked well for the cardinals with fitz and boldin. the way i see it, two beastly receivers are always better than one. if the guy can play and get the job done thats all that matters
It pains me to think that people on this forum wouldn't draft him if he fell to our pick. Is WR our biggest need? No. But drafting a body that plays a need position doesn't address that need either. The truth is, we won't get a playmaker at DE at that spot in the draft. Richardson and Floyd are going 20+ spots higher.

At the end of the day if you take bonafide playmakers when they're available you will have a great team regardless of need. Keenan Allen is one of the top 3 wr's to come out in the past 3 years and if we get a shot at him we better pull the trigger.

He is a smooth, hands catcher, gets the ball at the highest point, is elusive after the catch (especially given his size), and runs great routes. I would fly to the podium with card in hand if he was still on the board at our pick. We finally have a young franchise qb. Let's giv ehim some weapons to build his confidence and create an offensive juggernaut.
[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Feb 23, 2013 at 5:45 PM ]
I like Allen but would drafting a WR in round 1 two years in a row be kind of disheartening? I think so. I say we go after Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings and Draft top notch Defensive lineman and CBs and a safety and Lattimore later
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I like Allen but would drafting a WR in round 1 two years in a row be kind of disheartening? I think so. I say we go after Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings and Draft top notch Defensive lineman and CBs and a safety and Lattimore later

I think I'd rather go after Allen if its possible than give Jennings/Wallace the huge pay days they're going to want. We have Iupati, Anthony Davis, Crabtree, Kaepernick that we're going to have to pay soon. Wouldn't want to risk losing any of them because we broke the bank for Jennings or Wallace.
Share 49ersWebzone