There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Scenario: Keenan Allen falls to #31

Scenario: Keenan Allen falls to #31

Do you take him, or allow him to keep falling and go for the players you were targeting all along (DL, per say)

With reports that he won't run at the combine, I see his stock falling a bit, it may go back up once he actually does all the drills for scouts, but for now, in this scenario, what would you do?
  • DRnSFw
  • Veteran
i'm glad i voted yes
allen seems to be very similar to crabtree in terms of playing style...do the niners want their top two receivers to be of similar traits or would they better be served by having a #2 receiver whose game is different (and complementary) to Crabtree's such as a speed guy
Originally posted by hofer36:
allen seems to be very similar to crabtree in terms of playing style...do the niners want their top two receivers to be of similar traits or would they better be served by having a #2 receiver whose game is different (and complementary) to Crabtree's such as a speed guy

one of the reasons why I posted this
It was no problem with fitz and boldin in az, as long as Allen turns out to be a stud like Crabtree has and constantly gets open I can care less. I just hope if we take Allen Jenkins turns into something and works the slot with his speed
NO! They need a couple very serious D-linemen before they think about anything else including safety. Receiver is down the list. It's probably wishful thinking to hope that J. Hankins falls to their position, but Jesse Williams could possibly be there. I'd like to see him or someone like him with the first pick and then package some picks to move up to higher in the second and pick up J. Jenkins - just go all in on the nose tackle position with a 6'4", 360 lb guy there who absolutely needs two blockers and still crushes the inside of the pocket. Then, pick the best safety available to compete with Whitner - someone faster who can cover better. They've already got a ferocious hitter back there - Goldson.
I think first round should always be BPA, so yeah...if he falls you take him there. To my mind he should go a good bit higher.
We need D lineman...but it's simply not true that they have to be first rounders. They need to be capable of playing a few snaps a game and transition to starter In a year or two. They do not have to start day 1 which translates to later rounds. A wideout in our offense could start opposite Crabs in a heart beat, and a first round pick here is far from a waste...especially if its a higher level talent that slips
Originally posted by hofer36:

Which is why we need someone who has top end speed like Marcus Wheaton.
I think Allen has little (to none) upside opposite Crabtree. Not saying he wouldn't be productive. But I think we would need either a speed guy (4.35-4.4) or a tall/physical guy (6'3"-6'4") opposite Crabtree. I vote the latter. Seeing as Justin Hunter and Da'Rick Rogers will both be there toward the end of the second, I'd go with one of them. A redzone jump ball guy (maybe then those last few SB plays go better and we win?). Then we get DL or secondary help in the first and still get the type of complementary receiver in the second!
Originally posted by GNielsen:
NO! They need a couple very serious D-linemen before they think about anything else including safety. Receiver is down the list. It's probably wishful thinking to hope that J. Hankins falls to their position, but Jesse Williams could possibly be there. I'd like to see him or someone like him with the first pick and then package some picks to move up to higher in the second and pick up J. Jenkins - just go all in on the nose tackle position with a 6'4", 360 lb guy there who absolutely needs two blockers and still crushes the inside of the pocket. Then, pick the best safety available to compete with Whitner - someone faster who can cover better. They've already got a ferocious hitter back there - Goldson.

This in bold - there are several mock's on NFL.com that have Hankins going to the 49ers w/ the 31st pick. I've also seen Tavon Austin at #31. Allen is not running drills at the combine - he will be there for medical and interview, then will run drills at Cal's pro day and his own pro day sometime in April. I have to agree with G here that DL/NT is a far higher priority at this point. Having said that, if there isn't a DL/NT worth taking at this point, I go BPA, starting with Safety then CB. WR will be addressed, just not in the 1st round THIS year.
  • buck
  • Veteran
If he fell, because of medical reasons, we should pass on him.

It also depends on who else is on the board.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:

I assume that we draft Jessie Williams to play DE. am I correct?
Would take a hungry WR in third or fourth round. I trust Baalke. DL with a high motor similar to Justin with the 31st.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
We need D lineman...but it's simply not true that they have to be first rounders. They need to be capable of playing a few snaps a game and transition to starter In a year or two. They do not have to start day 1 which translates to later rounds. A wideout in our offense could start opposite Crabs in a heart beat, and a first round pick here is far from a waste...especially if its a higher level talent that slips

I basically agree. But, most likely, we will need a nose tackle capable of starting on day one.

We should not need a defensive end to start this year. We do have two starters.

We could use a starting wide receiver to go with Crabtree.

edit: Boldin reduces the need for a WR.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 15, 2013 at 10:41 PM ]