LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

with our number 31 pick Zack Ertz would make offense explosive

With Ertz on our team we wouldnt need to draft a top FA WR or draft a first rounder as well. With Ertz lining up with Davis and Crabs our offense would be straight explosive and would open up the field for our WR like no other. We could then adress the dline issues with all of our picks and be able to sing goldson and draft or sing a current shutdown corner or a future CB that will mature into a star. We would save cap by letting d walker leave and use it to adress the secondary issues.
I don't expect any offensive players in the first three or four picks. They averaged over 30 pts a game in the playoffs and they get quite a few injured offensive players back. They need defensive linemen, defensive backs and a kicker.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I don't expect any offensive players in the first three or four picks. They averaged over 30 pts a game in the playoffs and they get quite a few injured offensive players back. They need defensive linemen, defensive backs and a kicker.

I agree, and I think they're going to re-sign Delanie Walker, and that will make it difficult to fit another TE into the offense. Unless they absolutely believe that Zack Ertz is the next Tony Gonzales, which I don't think is the case.
wrong forum
My thought is the first three picks need to contribute in some fashion this year regardless of how much. I don't agree with Baalke on the "redshirting" a first year player. I think Jenkins could have contributed something this year if given the chance but he really wasn't given it. Can we really expect a player to get a feel for the game when he is on the field a handful of times? I've seen this first hand while coaching. It is pretty rare for a player just to step onto a field from a lower level and just "get it". There is usually a learning curve whether its big or small.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
My thought is the first three picks need to contribute in some fashion this year regardless of how much. I don't agree with Baalke on the "redshirting" a first year player. I think Jenkins could have contributed something this year if given the chance but he really wasn't given it. Can we really expect a player to get a feel for the game when he is on the field a handful of times? I've seen this first hand while coaching. It is pretty rare for a player just to step onto a field from a lower level and just "get it". There is usually a learning curve whether its big or small.

I don't think the redshirting idea is something we'll see too much more of. That was mostly a product of having very few needs going into what was a relatively weak draft at almost every position except QB.

The 2011 draft netted several immediate contributors, obviously.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We need a reciever not a TE.
I agree with regulator530. Ertz, or any other accomplished receiving TE drafted latter, would make our O more dynamic. Plus we have been looking for a tall WR to go after jump balls ala Graham and Grankowski. There are a number of TEs that have the height to go get jump balls.

All the disagreements with taken Ertz at #31 are based on bigger needs that TE. Depending on who falls to us in the 1st, I would take DL, CB, or a FS before taking a TE.

Instead, I would look at Gavin Escobar or Dion Sims in the 4th. Both are tall and big targets with good hands.
[ Edited by mebemused on Feb 17, 2013 at 8:10 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:

TEs are receivers.

I'm fine with Eifert or Ertz at # 31... and I'm one of the Datone Jones/Floyd advocates... but we could use a more dynamic # 2 TE to cause mismatches along with VD.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

TEs are receivers.

I'm fine with Eifert or Ertz at # 31... and I'm one of the Datone Jones/Floyd advocates... but we could use a more dynamic # 2 TE to cause mismatches along with VD.

I'm going by the notion that we'll re-sign Walker.

I'm really hoping the Niners can find a gem at TE in the later rounds.
Here we go again with another TE in the 1st

You can bet that this draft will be heavy on the defensive side of the ball, with the at least our 1st 3 picks on the D (two on the D-Line and the other a CB). Imma state what I was stating last year when it was near blasphemous to suggest the 49ers needed anything other than a TE in the 1st (namely Cody Fleener): The 49ers problems were NOT at TE. We have 3 really good TE's on our roster, two of which are match-up nightmares for opposing teams. (BTW, I expect the 49ers to find a way to re-sign Walker. I didn't at first, but after his Super Bowl performance I cannot imagine the 49ers letting him go. Plus, I honestly think Walker is gonna want to stay as well. He may not be a starter, but he's on the field way more than about 90-95% of the TE's in the league.) Now, I do have us drafting a TE somewhere in the 4th or 5th, a versatile H-back/TE in the Delanie Walker mold (I do have one in mind). Botttom line, we're not taking a TE.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

TEs are receivers.

I'm going by the notion that we'll re-sign Walker.

With our WRs getting injured every year before the playoffs, perhaps we need to use three or four TEs and try to keep one WR healthy ? VD is like a WR and Eifert or Ertz would be as well. Baalke seems to select the best value he sees and ignores immediate needs so I expect he will take a TE if the perceived value is higher than any DL. An example of his method was selecting Jenkins last year even though he was more of a project than some of the other WRS.

If he had gone for immediate need he would have picked one who was more NFL ready but had a lower ceiling. The switch from Smith to CK was another example of the team choosing this philosophy. I expected them to change that philosophy a bit last year but they are evidently firm.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 17, 2013 at 8:51 AM ]
Stanford has turned into a national power over the last 5 years and their passing game has been powered by their TE's. Unless you are a huge Stanford fan, I think you would have a hard time naming 3 Stanford wideouts from that time period, but you would have no problem naming 3 of their TE's. TE's are receivers, too. I wouldn't mind getting Ertz AND a big, deep threat WR down the line in the draft or free agency. Just saying..........
Offense is already explosive. We need our Def to stop somebody.. perhaps a cornerback or a young bull for more pressure in the middle. Starting with the seattle game teams passed the ball up and down the feild on us at an alarming rate.
Share 49ersWebzone