There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

CB Prospects

Originally posted by eonblue:
Thats what makes the seattle DBs so effective.
thy're playing the throwing lane and its really effective against physical receivers where you don't want to allow them to make a play on the ball. i mean it just got sad to watch our secondary get beat and the receivers make a play and all the safety could do was slide in with a weak tackle. i love me some tackles but i also like deflected passes and picks a little more.

The play worked out for Sherman. A little too much seperation though. If the ball was well thrown, it would have been a T.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,874
We should draft two corners in the first 4 rounds
Originally posted by toeshawn:
We should draft two corners in the first 4 rounds

It won't matter who the hell they've got at cornerback if the defensive line issues don't get worked out. 49ers had more than sufficient cornerback play for most of the season, its when Justin Smith got injured that the bottom fell out. I think going into next season, the 49ers are fine with Brown and Rogers as the starters, they need to add more CB to replace Brock and hopefully develop into a starter.

The primary focus should be the DL, period. This defense didn't look like the bottom fell out on it until Justin got injured. His injury exposed a lot of weaknesses, lack of depth, piss poor play at NT, and quarterbacks increasingly had more and more time to look downfield and pick this defense apart.


The better your DL, the better your pass rush, the less relevant it becomes who you have at cornerback. Giants won two Superbowls with beastly DL's and mediocre CB play.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM ]
Forgot the Uconn CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson, good prospect also, maybe 3rd rounder with the Carolina pick.

2013 is a deep CB class IMO, got top notch, then starters, and depth guys, all across the board.
Milner , Trufant, Rhodes and Banks are the top CBs but all likely to be gone before the Niners pick. I like Logan Ryan a lot in rd 2 if he is there. I think the Niners need a bigger CB
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Milner , Trufant, Rhodes and Banks are the top CBs but all likely to be gone before the Niners pick. I like Logan Ryan a lot in rd 2 if he is there. I think the Niners need a bigger CB

Not sure about Trufant, but the other three will likely be gone.
What do you guys think of Blidi Wreh-Wilson from UCONN? McShay has him as a top 20 pick, but that's an unpopular opinion. Could he be a big corner had in round 2?
[ Edited by 49ersGiants7 on Feb 9, 2013 at 5:10 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Milner , Trufant, Rhodes and Banks are the top CBs but all likely to be gone before the Niners pick. I like Logan Ryan a lot in rd 2 if he is there. I think the Niners need a bigger CB

Thats the way I feel. He doesn't even have to be a starter but I would like someone that we can matchup on the bigger receivers.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It won't matter who the hell they've got at cornerback if the defensive line issues don't get worked out. 49ers had more than sufficient cornerback play for most of the season, its when Justin Smith got injured that the bottom fell out. I think going into next season, the 49ers are fine with Brown and Rogers as the starters, they need to add more CB to replace Brock and hopefully develop into a starter.

The primary focus should be the DL, period. This defense didn't look like the bottom fell out on it until Justin got injured. His injury exposed a lot of weaknesses, lack of depth, piss poor play at NT, and quarterbacks increasingly had more and more time to look downfield and pick this defense apart.


The better your DL, the better your pass rush, the less relevant it becomes who you have at cornerback. Giants won two Superbowls with beastly DL's and mediocre CB play.
The whole DL needs to be rebuilt the pass rush for 2 years now has been bad.

You didn't like the piss poor play of NT Ray McDonald and i agree. What would you do with RM then?

Fair to say Sopo is gone.

Is Justin Smith worth 8 million? Even before he was hurt i thought his play had fallen off a lot since 2011 and that's to be expected at his age. He turns 34 in September i wish he was 25 but the reality is he's 34 and coming off surgery. I know the DL suffered when Smith went down but how much is that on the guys that were still maning the DL and couldn't get it done? If we let Smith go are there any younger DL on the market you would rather have with that 8 million? What about letting all 3 go?
Alford and Amerson are the two i would target.

I love Alford. He may be my favorite CB in this draft.
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It won't matter who the hell they've got at cornerback if the defensive line issues don't get worked out. 49ers had more than sufficient cornerback play for most of the season, its when Justin Smith got injured that the bottom fell out. I think going into next season, the 49ers are fine with Brown and Rogers as the starters, they need to add more CB to replace Brock and hopefully develop into a starter.

The primary focus should be the DL, period. This defense didn't look like the bottom fell out on it until Justin got injured. His injury exposed a lot of weaknesses, lack of depth, piss poor play at NT, and quarterbacks increasingly had more and more time to look downfield and pick this defense apart.


The better your DL, the better your pass rush, the less relevant it becomes who you have at cornerback. Giants won two Superbowls with beastly DL's and mediocre CB play.
The whole DL needs to be rebuilt the pass rush for 2 years now has been bad.

You didn't like the piss poor play of NT Ray McDonald and i agree. What would you do with RM then?

Fair to say Sopo is gone.

Is Justin Smith worth 8 million? Even before he was hurt i thought his play had fallen off a lot since 2011 and that's to be expected at his age. He turns 34 in September i wish he was 25 but the reality is he's 34 and coming off surgery. I know the DL suffered when Smith went down but how much is that on the guys that were still maning the DL and couldn't get it done? If we let Smith go are there any younger DL on the market you would rather have with that 8 million? What about letting all 3 go?

Ray McDonald does not play NT nor was his play piss poor. As for Smith's play falling off A LOT - give me a break. The guy was playing awesome this year and probably the main reason that Aldon was getting so many sacks. We do need DL badly but not because Justin or McDonalds play are not at a high level. Neither are going anywhere.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Thats what makes the seattle DBs so effective.
thy're playing the throwing lane and its really effective against physical receivers where you don't want to allow them to make a play on the ball. i mean it just got sad to watch our secondary get beat and the receivers make a play and all the safety could do was slide in with a weak tackle. i love me some tackles but i also like deflected passes and picks a little more.

His sorry ass was beat by White on that play. Terrible throw from Ryan.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Ray McDonald does not play NT nor was his play piss poor. As for Smith's play falling off A LOT - give me a break. The guy was playing awesome this year and probably the main reason that Aldon was getting so many sacks. We do need DL badly but not because Justin or McDonalds play are not at a high level. Neither are going anywhere.

When Sopo is off the field RM will play either DT or NT either way it don't matter they are only a few feet apart and the fact remains that the 49ers pass rush has been horrid the last 2 seasons. And the last time i checked Ray McDonald was in fact a starter on the 49ers DL. McDonald does not get consistent pressure on the QB's and an upgrade is needed. The whole DL needs to be re-evaluated they gotta get it figured out how to improve the pass rush from the DL.
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Ray McDonald does not play NT nor was his play piss poor. As for Smith's play falling off A LOT - give me a break. The guy was playing awesome this year and probably the main reason that Aldon was getting so many sacks. We do need DL badly but not because Justin or McDonalds play are not at a high level. Neither are going anywhere.

When Sopo is off the field RM will play either DT or NT either way it don't matter they are only a few feet apart and the fact remains that the 49ers pass rush has been horrid the last 2 seasons. And the last time i checked Ray McDonald was in fact a starter on the 49ers DL. McDonald does not get consistent pressure on the QB's and an upgrade is needed. The whole DL needs to be re-evaluated they gotta get it figured out how to improve the pass rush from the DL.

Saying McDonalds play was piss poor is just not accurate. Saying that Justins play fell off by a LOT is a joke . When Smith was healthy and taking on 2 blockers Aldon Smith was on pace to break the all time sack record.

Do the Niners need to address the DL? Of course and I wouldnt mind a DE and DT in the first 3 rds. I just dont think its because of poor play from our DEs. We do need to improve at NT and I would let Soap go. We do need to get another strong DE for rotation and to groom as a starter.
Originally posted by SkyGod:
When Sopo is off the field RM will play either DT or NT either way it don't matter they are only a few feet apart and the fact remains that the 49ers pass rush has been horrid the last 2 seasons. And the last time i checked Ray McDonald was in fact a starter on the 49ers DL. McDonald does not get consistent pressure on the QB's and an upgrade is needed. The whole DL needs to be re-evaluated they gotta get it figured out how to improve the pass rush from the DL.

This is nonsense. Ray McDonald is one of the better 3-4 DE's in the NFL and the numbers bear that out. Based on PFF's numbers, he was the highest performing 49ers defensive lineman in terms of rushing the passer. Additionally in a 3-4 system, your DE's responsibilities are to hold the edge, not to rush the passer, that is why you're supposed to have stud pass-rushing OLB's to get around the corner and put the quarterback on his back. I have absolutely no issues with him, he did his job and got it done, teams struggled to run at him as well. My issue is with this team not having a real 2-down NT, a postion that Soap was heavily overwhelmed at.