There are 267 users in the forums

49ers targeting Ertz?

"@nfldraftscout: Word on the street in Mobile is that the #49ers are in love with Zach Ertz. Not surprising with Stanford connection."

Wouldn't be against it, especially if he's BPA, but I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of taking a TE in the first.
I'm down, if Harbaalke are that enthused with a player, then it can't be a bad thing.

Of course this could be one gigantic BS smokescreen as usual.
I wouldn't be opposed to Ertz either. In fact I think it would be an aggressive move that could pay big dividends. It's obvious Kaep is going to get better. Our receivers are not though. Ginn jr, Walker, Jenkins, Manningham, and Moss are questions marks in their own way. I would love this pick because Ertz is a huge target, he's physical, fast, and has great hands. All the best QBs thrive with a good TE and Vernon Davis isn't going to be around forever and I would even bet he's going to be losing his step soon. Ertz, Crab, Jenkins, Kaep with Hunter and LMJ carrying the ball and the strong oline make a strong case for the future of the offense with a couple of additions Im sure but this would be a great base.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I wouldn't be opposed to Ertz either. In fact I think it would be an aggressive move that could pay big dividends. It's obvious Kaep is going to get better. Our receivers are not though. Ginn jr, Walker, Jenkins, Manningham, and Moss are questions marks in their own way. I would love this pick because Ertz is a huge target, he's physical, fast, and has great hands. All the best QBs thrive with a good TE and Vernon Davis isn't going to be around forever and I would even bet he's going to be losing his step soon. Ertz, Crab, Jenkins, Kaep with Hunter and LMJ carrying the ball and the strong oline make a strong case for the future of the offense with a couple of additions Im sure but this would be a great base.

Umm IMO, Vernon is improving as a pass catcher. This last game he shoed alot of improvment on his pass catching and focus. He didnt leave his feet once from what i remember. I do ant another TE , but dont discount what VD does for this team just because he has an off season as a pass catcher. As things open up, and the offense deelopes further, he will be a big asset, and they find more and more creative ways to get him the ball. I do agree though that we need another TE to complement VD's skillset.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Umm IMO, Vernon is improving as a pass catcher. This last game he shoed alot of improvment on his pass catching and focus. He didnt leave his feet once from what i remember. I do ant another TE , but dont discount what VD does for this team just because he has an off season as a pass catcher. As things open up, and the offense deelopes further, he will be a big asset, and they find more and more creative ways to get him the ball. I do agree though that we need another TE to complement VD's skillset.

Oh no I think Vernon is a great TE. I think he's the best player on our offense to be honest I was just simply saying I think Ertz would be a great compliment and in the future would provide stability when Vernon decides to retire.

On a side note thought Vernon was 33 but he's 28. A lot of what I said was under the assumption he only had a couple of years.
A dual TE set featuring VD and Ertz would be a major headache for defenses to handle.
The Niners have neglected upgrading the dline and CB (aside from Culliver in the 3rd) position with high picks for the last several seasons. I'm all for BPA with high picks, but at some point, they have to invest some talent at those positions. If you want to talk about declining play, consider Soap or Rogers life span on this team.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Oh no I think Vernon is a great TE. I think he's the best player on our offense to be honest I was just simply saying I think Ertz would be a great compliment and in the future would provide stability when Vernon decides to retire.

On a side note thought Vernon was 33 but he's 28. A lot of what I said was under the assumption he only had a couple of years.

Yea. He is still very young, and he was an athletic freak when we drafted him that as a bit of a project as far as receiving is concerned. I just think this season as rough for him as far as finding ho to use him within the packages we have moved too. Also sorry for the missing letters in my posts, my keyboard got fubar'd by one of my twin daughters.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Jan 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,100 for IdahoNiner.
Originally posted by Butter:
The Niners have neglected upgrading the dline and CB (aside from Culliver in the 3rd) position with high picks for the last several seasons. I'm all for BPA with high picks, but at some point, they have to invest some talent at those positions. If you want to talk about declining play, consider Soap or Rogers life span on this team.

I agree with this. I wouldnt be opposed to it if this draft class as weak in the TE position, but i feel that it is a pretty strong class and we could get what we need in the second or third. Considering the drop off at NT in the later rounds, i would rather see the 1st round pick be invested there if one of the top 3 or 4 NT's is still on the board.
please God anybody but delanie

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Probably wont be around by the 32th pick
I've learned to trust the front office and coaching staff in drafting and free agent players. If they think he can make difference on the team draft him
Originally posted by Jcool:
Probably wont be around by the 32th pick

Flenner dropped last year, who knows? Can see them moving up for a defensive lineman.
i would love another stud at TE. vernon and ertz could be better than gronk and hernandez
IMO I think it can still work. For Example:

1. TE- Ertz
2. FS/SS - Cyprien
3. NT Williams - Missouri St
3. DE Spence - Cuse
3-5. WR/OLB/CB
6. K Hopkins

It will hit most of our needs.
[ Edited by drake49er on Jan 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone