There are 196 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trade a 3rd and 5th Round Draft Picks for Darrelle Revis?

Trade a 3rd and 5th Round Draft Picks for Darrelle Revis?

Originally posted by cgida:
Would trading Alex and his salary for Revis be a balanced trade? If so why not?

Revis makes a few million more a year than Alex. And on top of that he wants top 5 money in the league. Not top 5 corner back money but top 5 players in the league money. Their salaries aren't comparable.
I mean if were going to absorb GIANT contracts we need to wait and pick up a solid DE or NT so we can continue dat pass ruwsh.
We have A LOT of draft picks, and our 3rd CB is Chris Culliver. Why would we need Revis's huge contract? We are fortunate enough to build through the draft, I don't want to sign any FA's. Luckily whoever posted this thread isn't running our front office.
Revis is garbage, we don't need him. There are good corners in the draft. You build a great defense with D-lineman and linebackers. He'll probably hold out in his second year if we do sign him. You want to draft young legs to play corner.
First of all the Jets would want more than a 3rd and 5th for Revis. Pretty funny that people think Alex would get a 2nd but that Revis would just get a 3rd and 5th. More importantly, the Niners would be crazy to take on the contract. Just makes no sense at all for either team.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Three years ago maybe. Now hell no because of the salary he wants.
No. Carlos Rodgers played the best of our CBs against Atlanta's VERY talented WRs. We should be focused on resigning Dashon Goldson and look to draft a CB to develop.

Our pass defense can improve greatly by getting a better inside pass rush. Draft a top tier DT, resign Goldson, and we are set.
Originally posted by rafachivas12:
We need a Corner Back because Carlos Rogers isn't living up to his contract extension. We could trade the picks and cut Rogers to pay for Revis. I mean its Darrelle Revis what bigger name is their at Corner back.

I'll admit that when I saw the news that Revis could be available via trade, the mind entertains the idea of what our defense would look like. But the salary number alone for Revis make it a nonstarter. Salary and picks, too much to give up.
I would say with this regimes' general apathy towards playing younger players - do this deal. I could even be talked into a 1st rounder - given that it's going to be 32 and we all saw what an impact our late 1st rounder had this year.

And as to the argument that Carlos Rogers played well this year - I concur, but you cannot ever have enough quality CBs in this league.
Originally posted by Rathman_44:
I would say with this regimes' general apathy towards playing younger players - do this deal. I could even be talked into a 1st rounder - given that it's going to be 32 and we all saw what an impact our late 1st rounder had this year.

And as to the argument that Carlos Rogers played well this year - I concur, but you cannot ever have enough quality CBs in this league.

Just like Aldon, Culliver, Bruce Miller, Kendall Hunter.............
We have too many of our own guys to resign to really take on the type of contract extension he will demand.

I believe that after 1-2 years guys like Kaepernick, Crabtree, Hunter, Goldson, Culliver, Francois, Miller, Davis and Iupati will all be done with their contracts. There are a lot of big names in that list, and it will be hard enough to resign all of them as it is, so we can't really spend a giant chunk of our salary on Revis.
Forget this idea, Jets want a 1st rounder for him at least.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/254576/jets-want-at-least-1st-round-pick-for-revis

Edit: Shefter said they would take a $9 million cap hit by trading him, so basically it's a get the most picks value for losing out on money.
[ Edited by AB83Rules on Jan 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM ]
Well! My be he can take a pay cut to come to a winner! Like back in the days with C.B.s ! Like Moss did it he came to a winner and the Jets are going down big time !
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Rathman_44:

Just like Aldon, Culliver, Bruce Miller, Kendall Hunter.............

I was referring more to the 1st round pick this year, but...Culliver was a suprise (anyone would admit it), Aldon and Hunter each played situationally and Bruce Miller was a hand picked project by Harbaugh.

If our 1st round picks are going to be in the 30s and they are going to continue to be AJ Jenkins, then I would argue that Revis (and his new contract) would be far more valuable than a suspect receiver that was inactive for a vast majority of the year.
We would have to pay him what he wants (16 million a year) I would rather used the money to sign Goldson to a long term contract and at a cheaper price...