There are 215 users in the forums

Mock Draft 2.0

1. Jesse Williams, NT, Alabama

On all reputable sites I've looked at, no one can seem to agree on his value. Some have him in the mid first round, others have him nowhere in the first round at all. So, he may not be available here, but I'd love to get him. HUGE guy who's value wouldn't come from the stats he puts up, but from occupying a huge amount of space and multiple linemen at the NT position. Alternate picks: Jonathan Jenkins, Jonathan Hankins

2. Datone Jones, DE, UCLA

Another huge need, I think he'd be a perfect fit at the 3-4 DE spot. Didn't put up huge stats, but seems to be relentless and does everything well. May move up draft boards with a strong showing at the Senior Bowl.

3. Baccari Rambo, FS, Georgia

Have to admit I'd love to see "Rambo" on the back of a 49er jersey, but he's also just a good, physical safety who maybe drops a bit due to minor character concerns.

3. Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech

Another guy who I'd love to get but may not be available here, as he seems to really be impressing at the Senior Bowl. If not available, I'd also love to go after Aaron Dobson, Ryan Swope, or Da'Rick Rogers.

3. Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina

If available, this pick just makes too much sense to me. This is the kind of pick that consistently great teams make. Sure we have more pressing needs, but none of them are extremely urgent, so we can afford to take a luxury pick on a great player who's fallen due to injury. Sit him for an entire year with NFL trainers helping him to recover and he'll be ready to go just as Frank Gore is winding down. It's definitely risky, but it's also a late 3rd round pick. A lot of those don't pan out anyway.

4. Joseph Fauria, TE, UCLA

Fauria seems to be falling on a lot of draft boards, but I'm pretty sure he'd be a great pick for us, and would be ecstatic to get him in the 4th round. He's HUGE (6'7") and would be a great redzone target. I watched all of his games at UCLA and he catches everything, making some really difficult catches in the redzone. He may not be the best blocker, but we need a big target like him.

5. Josh Boyd, DT, Mississippi State

Boyd seems to be a guy with a good amount of potential. I'd look at him for a 3-4 DE spot. Can't draft enough guys for depth along the DLine, hoping at least one of them works out. Would also consider someone like Devin Taylor at this spot.

5. Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU

Really hard to predict where he's going to go in the draft because he has so much talent and so many character issues, but if he's there in the late 5th, I say take the chance. As many have stated, he'd be a perfect slot corner to cover the small guys we always have so much trouble with.

6. Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington State

Been wanting to draft him for a while, and because he left the team midseason, may be available here. Low risk, high reward.

6. Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois

He seems to be moving up draft boards as well, so maybe he won't be available, but most sites still have him as a late round pick. Corner depth.

7. Blaize Foltz, OG, TCU

Huge, strong guy who provides O-Line depth.

7. Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida

I know some want to pick a kicker in the 5th round or so, but seeing as kickers rarely get drafted anyway, I think we can afford to wait till the 7th.

7. Quanterus Smith, OLB, Western Kentucky

Bad midseason injury will cause him to drop a lot, maybe not this far, but I'm hoping. Lots of potential as a pass rusher.

7. Ray Ray Armstrong, SS, Miami

A guy with a ton of potential who will drop because of character concerns. Multiple instances of being connected with university boosters so he was kicked off Miami. Really low risk pick because it's our last pick in the draft, but high reward.

The main issue I see with my mock is the absence of an OLB early, but I feel that we can hold off on that need, and take one early in the draft next year.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Lattimore is coming in with ACL tears on both knees. He should be available in the 5-7 rd range as he should drop.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Lattimore is coming in with ACL tears on both knees. He should be available in the 5-7 rd range as he should drop.

Possibly, but he's a huge talent and some team might take him sooner knowing that knee injuries aren't the kiss of death they used to be.

Bottom line for me, this would be an incredible draft. Not sure Jones will be there in the 2nd or Patton there in the 3rd (as you mentioned) but if they were and we grabbed them, it would be an epic draft.
If the first 4 picks went down the way you have them, I really wouldn't give a damn about what happens in the rest of the draft, strong value is strong.

As far as Hawthorne, he'll likely wind up somewhere in the 3rd round, he's a very nice CB prospect, one that I'd love to be a 49er.

Marquess Wilson will be a great pick, he'll be drafted lower than he rightfully should be and I've heard there's been a lot of issues with the Washington State coaching staff as well.

I like Mathieu, he's just a pure playmaker, makes stuff happen whenever he's on the field, would be a good slot corner.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM ]
In fact, after the Senior Bowl/combine, I think Datone Jones could move up to be a legit early 2nd rounder with an outside shot of getting picked late in the 1st. It's just not easy to find d-linemen with his combination of power, size, quickness and scheme versatility.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
In fact, after the Senior Bowl/combine, I think Datone Jones could move up to be a legit early 2nd rounder with an outside shot of getting picked late in the 1st. It's just not easy to find d-linemen with his combination of power, size, quickness and scheme versatility.

If that's the case, trade down and pick him in the early 2nd. The one really nice aspect about him is that he's got some decent developed pass-rush moves, he's not just a run-stopper type 5 technique. Go with Brandon Williams sometime in the 3rd to add an NT.

1. Datone Jones
2. Bacarri Rambo
3. Quinton Patton
4. Brandon Williams

I still ain't mad.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 22, 2013 at 1:09 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Possibly, but he's a huge talent and some team might take him sooner knowing that knee injuries aren't the kiss of death they used to be.

Bottom line for me, this would be an incredible draft. Not sure Jones will be there in the 2nd or Patton there in the 3rd (as you mentioned) but if they were and we grabbed them, it would be an epic draft.

Maybe we could get away with switching the Patton and Rambo picks then. Rambo also seems to be rated all over the board, so not sure when he'll be gone.
Originally posted by mkary12:
Maybe we could get away with switching the Patton and Rambo picks then. Rambo also seems to be rated all over the board, so not sure when he'll be gone.

Also the possibility of something coming back in a trade for Alex, say they swapped picks with KC in the 3rd and then picked up a 4th or 5th round pick to boot. Lots of options this year.
I kind of like this mock, not bad.
[ Edited by SFrush on Jan 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM ]
Really liked this draft.

Nice job enjoyed it ! Can you see us trading out of the 1st or 2 st round for somebody next year 1st or 2 st pick to move up in someway like the Pats did in the past because we will be picking late in round in the future?
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Like some of it but I think we need to draft a Centre as we have little depth there.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
if we get this draft i will cream myself
Share 49ersWebzone