I have found myself rooting for us to draft Denard Robinson. Seems like he could be a dynamic slot WR with deep speed as well. I haven't looked closely at our financials, but I have a really hard time seeing us let Rogers go. Just sounds crazy to me.
Finally, Byrd is probably a bit of an upgrade in coverage, and that move would make us a bit younger... but I think you underrate Goldson. That dude is good. I see him sticking around long-term.
There are 769 users in the forums
Pre-SB Mock
Browse 49ers books and videos
Jan 22, 2013 at 1:23 AM
- LieutKaffee
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,988
Jan 22, 2013 at 1:40 AM
- strickac
- Veteran
- Posts: 15,176
I'm not a fan of the Robinson pick that early, but the Hunt pick makes up for it. Fauria will go earlier, IMO.
Swap Goldson with Goodwin and you got a deal. If Goldson does get away, Byrd would be my target.
Swap Goldson with Goodwin and you got a deal. If Goldson does get away, Byrd would be my target.
Jan 22, 2013 at 2:18 AM
- RollinWith21n52
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,948
I get why people like Goldson. Like I said, I see him on some plays and want him to be a niner forever, but then he blows an assignment in coverage and he's gone. He does set a tone for the defense in many ways, however. I don't think he's the best safety in the NFL, but I will admit that no one hits harder, and it's impressive to see. I see Byrd as an upgrade, and will likely want similar money. It just seems that a team that has been more than happy to pay its great players is very hesitant with him, and I think they have reservations about paying top 5 money to a non top 5 player. He's very good, but not a top 5 safety.
Jan 22, 2013 at 2:20 AM
- RollinWith21n52
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,948
Originally posted by strickac:
I'm not a fan of the Robinson pick that early, but the Hunt pick makes up for it. Fauria will go earlier, IMO.
Swap Goldson with Goodwin and you got a deal. If Goldson does get away, Byrd would be my target.
Robinson + Kaepernick + Greg Roman = completely off-balance defense.
Jan 22, 2013 at 4:06 AM
- strickac
- Veteran
- Posts: 15,176
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:Robinson + Kaepernick + Greg Roman = completely off-balance defense.
IMO, we need another WR that can outmatch CBs. Robinson is a great athlete, but a project at WR. Later in the draft for a guy like that.
Jan 22, 2013 at 4:30 AM
- A-broken-Mir
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,145
lol at Alex getting a 2nd this year AND 4th next year. Everyone and their mama knows we're gonna cut him. Why give up draft picks for him?
Even if a team wanted to trade for him to lock him up, you'd be looking at a 4th rounder at best.
Even if a team wanted to trade for him to lock him up, you'd be looking at a 4th rounder at best.
Jan 22, 2013 at 4:32 AM
- SFrush
- Veteran
- Posts: 5,422
We don't save hardly anything cutting Carlos Rogers.
Jan 22, 2013 at 8:24 AM
- RollinWith21n52
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,948
Originally posted by A-broken-Mir:
lol at Alex getting a 2nd this year AND 4th next year. Everyone and their mama knows we're gonna cut him. Why give up draft picks for him?
Even if a team wanted to trade for him to lock him up, you'd be looking at a 4th rounder at best.
Not what history says about trading for QBs. Look at what Kolb got. Alex had a 104 passer rating this year, and he has 2 years remaining on a very low contract for his level of performance. If teams wait for him to get cut they'll have to pay him much more.
Jan 22, 2013 at 8:24 AM
- RollinWith21n52
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,948
Originally posted by SFrush:
We don't save hardly anything cutting Carlos Rogers.
I'm not familiar with his contract situation. Can you explain?
Jan 22, 2013 at 8:32 AM
- GhostofFredDean74
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 30,082
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by A-broken-Mir:
lol at Alex getting a 2nd this year AND 4th next year. Everyone and their mama knows we're gonna cut him. Why give up draft picks for him?
Even if a team wanted to trade for him to lock him up, you'd be looking at a 4th rounder at best.
Not what history says about trading for QBs. Look at what Kolb got. Alex had a 104 passer rating this year, and he has 2 years remaining on a very low contract for his level of performance. If teams wait for him to get cut they'll have to pay him much more.
This. Teams would much rather trade for Alex and his affordable contract than bid for his services in free agency. That said, I don't think we'll get a 2nd from him, at least not in this draft (Kolb was traded in 2011 for a 2012 2nd rounder). Bad teams are willing to take that 2nd round hit, but to lessen the blow, they push it out a year.
Jan 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM
- DaDivaRecieva15
- Veteran
- Posts: 37,974
Jairus Byrd is a beast. Buffalo ain't letting him go anywhere.
Jan 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,346
Alex Smith trade for a 2nd AND 4th rounder?

Blidi Wreh-Wilson in the 4th?

Dustin Hopkins in the third?

Blidi Wreh-Wilson in the 4th?

Dustin Hopkins in the third?
Jan 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,346
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I'm not familiar with his contract situation. Can you explain?
49ers would save only about $300,000 by cutting him. He's not going anywhere.
Jan 22, 2013 at 8:51 AM
- valrod33
- Hall of Small
- Posts: 138,120
Kaepernick cant renegotiate his contract until after his 3rd year.
Goldson is absolutely a top safety in this league and should be paid accordingly, we can basically use Alex Smiths money and give it to Goldson
Didnt Josh Johnson signed with the Cleveland Browns?
Goldson is absolutely a top safety in this league and should be paid accordingly, we can basically use Alex Smiths money and give it to Goldson
Didnt Josh Johnson signed with the Cleveland Browns?