LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 175 users in the forums

WRs in the 2013 draft

Originally posted by Ice49er:
Have you seen the new DeAndre Hopkins video.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/former-clemson-receiver-deandre-hopkins-makes-33-consecutive-213401923--ncaaf.html

Yeah I saw that video on youtube.

I'll admit, I don't watch a ton of college ball and I form most of my predraft opinions based on watching youtube highlight reels.

BUT, based on what I've seen, Hopkins looks like an ideal guy for us. Seems like he has the combination of speed, hands and size that we need. Some of the things I look for in my youtubing are: shielding away defenders while making short catches in the middle of the field, catching the ball in stride on deep passes, adjusting to make difficult catches in the endzone, and determination to get yards after the catch. On those counts, Hopkins looks great.

This is good video to watch because you see the good and the bad. He does have some drops. But overall there's a lot to like.

Damn! He's pretty fast but drops some very good throws. Taj Boyd was droppin some dimes in there! When does HE come out??
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Damn! He's pretty fast but drops some very good throws. Taj Boyd was droppin some dimes in there! When does HE come out??

next year. He could have come out as a junior this year. Probably a good idea for him to go back for his senior year
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
next year. He could have come out as a junior this year. Probably a good idea for him to go back for his senior year

I remember watching him thinking he should be up for the Heisman. Then he carved up LSU in the chick fil a bowl and made some incredible, accurate throws.

I remember watching him thinking he should be up for the Heisman. Then he carved up LSU in the chick fil a bowl and made some incredible, accurate throws.
Yeah watching him made me wonder if he could be a potential back up for Kaepernick. Runs the pistol and has a good deep ball. Not sure where he's projected though....

I don't want to derail my own WR thread here, but I do think the 9ers could create a pretty good cottage industry for themselves by drafting mid round read/option QBs, developing them as back ups, and then trading them for higher picks. If we did that regularly we'd always have a decent back up, and we'd get better drafts out of it. Seems like if Harbaugh can keep his "QB whisperer" reputation going we could pull that off.
Another WR I'm starting to like is Stedman Bailey. Not as big as you'd like, but plays strong. Kind of reminds me of a tough undersized WR like Steve Smith, but just a little bigger.

I kind of want a big tall WR to compliment our other guys who are quick and shifty but we have a ton of speed on offense and it never hurts to get more. Would love to have Tavon Austion or Stedman Bailey. Jenkins, Williams, Manningham and Crabtree are all somewhat similar but like I said cant have enough speed, quickness/shiftiness. Those guys could probably be used like Percy Harvin if we wanted them to. I haven't studied the draft nearly as much as previous year because of the extra month in the playoffs and then wanting to forget football for a bit after the SB so my opinion might change but also like Hopkins. Some might say we would be crazy to go WR early back to back years but with Moss and Ginn probably gone, Manningham/Williams being fa's after this year and Crabtree after 2 seasons it wouldn't hurt to get more. Seems like a deep class; wouldn't mind someone in rounds 2 or 3.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 28, 2013 at 7:37 PM ]
I've been on this bandwagon for a while. If he's there in the 3rd round, I say go get him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737204/darick-rogers

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/da'rick-rogers?id=2540179

[ Edited by PTulini on Feb 28, 2013 at 8:00 PM ]
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Goodwin to me is all track guy trying to run in a helmet and pads, dude struggled in the combine locating the ball. Give me someone who can run good routes and constantly gets open and not someone who just depends on speed

Completely disagree. Not going to put too much weight on any one throw in a combine. Was way too blown out of proportion. Completely overwhelmed defenders during the Senior Bowl week. Corners were playing so far off him, it was funny. His speed is going to be a major matchup problem for defenders at the next level.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Goodwin to me is all track guy trying to run in a helmet and pads, dude struggled in the combine locating the ball. Give me someone who can run good routes and constantly gets open and not someone who just depends on speed

Completely disagree. Not going to put too much weight on any one throw in a combine. Was way too blown out of proportion. Completely overwhelmed defenders during the Senior Bowl week. Corners were playing so far off him, it was funny. His speed is going to be a major matchup problem for defenders at the next level.

But his speed won't matter if Goodwin can't consistently catch the ball. He would be like Ted Ginn.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000153484/Game-Changers-The-Interview
Originally posted by ParkingLotPimpin:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000153484/Game-Changers-The-Interview

thanks for posting that.... I've never seen any of these guys off the field.

I think when it comes down to it, you've got to separate off-the-field issues like drugs/alcohol from on-the-field issues. These guys are all kids. Kids with rough backgrounds. They'll grow up.

As long as the team mentality is there, I'd feel comfortable drafting any of these guys.
I want either Tavon Austin in the first, Robert Woods, Keenan Allen, or Justin Hunter in the 2nd, or Aaron Dobson 3d-4th.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by ParkingLotPimpin:

thanks for posting that.... I've never seen any of these guys off the field.

I think when it comes down to it, you've got to separate off-the-field issues like drugs/alcohol from on-the-field issues. These guys are all kids. Kids with rough backgrounds. They'll grow up.

As long as the team mentality is there, I'd feel comfortable drafting any of these guys.

Didn't know Robert Woods abused Richard Sherman for over 200 yards receiving............DRAFT HIM!!
Share 49ersWebzone