LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 398 users in the forums

So what kicker shall we draft?

Originally posted by Nick515:
Dustin Hopkins from Florida State is probably the best bet at K. He's an accurate kicker and the number one kicker in draft boards so I think San Francisco should give him a look. He would probably be available in the 6th round maybe 7th round but I see him getting drafted. I really hope they get this guy because after today and the way Akers has been playing it is apparent that a new, young and accurate kicker is needed. If he's available in 6th round then I think and hope the Niners bring him in.

Hopkins by far. This kid has touchbacks on almost all his kickoffs. The best part is his accuracy. I still think or hope Akers has it in him this year, but he won't be around next year. Hopkins is a must, we will have to grab him in the fifth this year after the success of recent rookie kickers.
Hopkins is obvious choice. Also former Cal PK Girogio Tavecchio, we had him in camp. Also Nebraska's Brett Maher.
Could we get Hopkins with a 6th or would we have to use a 5th?

Also, how is his power? Can he hit 50+ yarders consistently?
I think unless he breaks the record for longest fieldgoals all the time in practice and then goes 11/11 on shots at the 45,46,47,48,49,50,61,57,31,49 again, and 52(in that order) then we shouldnt waste our time.
He is the all time leader now in field goals made in FBS. Pretty good is an understatement. Yeah he can hit 50 yarders for sure. I think you seriously risk losing him if you were to wait until the sixth. I know it's early and people don't want to take a kicker that high but it's necessary. Tired of seeing mocks with him going later, it's unrealistic.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Hopkins is obvious choice. Also former Cal PK Girogio Tavecchio, we had him in camp. Also Nebraska's Brett Maher.

Add Caleb Sturgis PK from Florida to the list, too.
I think Hopkins is a fourth round prospect, so he is going to go earlier than many think
Originally posted by genz22:
I think the Niners will go Kicker in the 4th or 5th and I am all for it if its Hopkins. Akers has cost us a chance at the end of 2 Division games.

There isn't a single kicker in this draft worth a 3rd or 4th round pick IMO. Hopkins is a nice prospect...for THIS draft, but nothing really amazing. My preference would be to draft one, and then bring several as undrafted free agents and let them fight it out. They can easily invest a later round pick, bring in a bunch of guys, bring in Tavecchio from this past offseason and take the best one.

Additionally, involve Akers in that competition, I still believe injury has a great deal to with his underwhelming performance.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think Hopkins is a fourth round prospect, so he is going to go earlier than many think

I would have no problem with Hopkins in the 4th. We have plenty of picks and a deep roster.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
I would have no problem with Hopkins in the 4th. We have plenty of picks and a deep roster.

LOL. People keep repeating the same balderdash.

And as always, I ask where is this depth?

At DE?
At NT?
At OLB?
At WR?
At S?

Also, reaching about 2-3 rounds for a kicker rarely makes sense. Hopkins might be the 3rd or 4th best prospect in most drafts, compare his college numbers with someone like Alex Henery of the Eagles and there's really no comparison. You have one guy with 90% FG accuracy, and another with 78% FG accuracy.

People are enamored with Hopkin's leg strength, but his accuracy still leaves a lot to be desired, he fell behind Tavecchio, who the 49ers brought in previously, in terms of field goal accuracy for his senior year.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 10, 2013 at 6:49 PM ]

Zach Brown Portland State

Most middle schools have better fields than the division he kicked in.
The importance of an excellent kicker cannot be exagerated.

Last season Akers saved a number of games. This year ISN'T last year and this season he isn't making the grade.

We need this position locked up in this draft.
I like Carson Wiggs a LOT. I was hoping we'd draft him last year. But I'd love to see the 49ers go with someone possibly even more worthy. Caleb Sturgis was Florida's placekicker this season. A finalist for the Lou Groza Award twice. All-American in 2011. Led the Gators in scoring during the season and led the SEC with 24 made field goals this year.

Year XPM XPA Pct FGA/M Pct Lng
2008 2 2 1.000 0/0 0 --
2009 44 47 .936 22/30 .733 56
2010 19 21 .905 2/4 .500 25
2011 31 31 1.000 22/26 55 55
2012 34 35 .971 24/28 .857 51

Along with 31 touchbacks this season, I think Sturgis is a solid bet for success at the next level.
Use a 5th - rookie contract and an excellent track record.
Originally posted by loyalniner:
I like Carson Wiggs a LOT. I was hoping we'd draft him last year. But I'd love to see the 49ers go with someone possibly even more worthy. Caleb Sturgis was Florida's placekicker this season. A finalist for the Lou Groza Award twice. All-American in 2011. Led the Gators in scoring during the season and led the SEC with 24 made field goals this year.

Year XPM XPA Pct FGA/M Pct Lng
2008 2 2 1.000 0/0 0 --
2009 44 47 .936 22/30 .733 56
2010 19 21 .905 2/4 .500 25
2011 31 31 1.000 22/26 55 55
2012 34 35 .971 24/28 .857 51

Along with 31 touchbacks this season, I think Sturgis is a solid bet for success at the next level.

I really wish we would give Wiggs a chance too. I'm biased, im a Purdue fan, but the kid can kick. He had a tryout with Seattle again after their kicker got hurt, but they opted for Longwell instead because of his experience. Hope Wiggs gets a chance sometime in the future.
Share 49ersWebzone