There are 223 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

1st Rd. Prospect: Justin Hunter - WR (Ten)

Originally posted by btthepunk:
https

Nice highlights
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I'm glad about this new "Hunter getting drafted higher than Patterson" hype. I think Hunter is more likely to be a bust, and I think Patterson is a much better fit for us anyway.

I'm not on the "WR in the first two rounds" bandwagon UNLESS Patterson is in reach. He would be our best KR and PR and easily win the WR3 role.


Yes and no.

No, Hunter will not be more likely to be a bust.

Yes, Patterson can contribute in other areas such as kick and punt returns. No argument there. But, ultimately what you are saying is you are just spreading the risk across more areas that's all. However, that is not to say he is a better receiver in the traditional sense of the word as compared to Hunter.

In terms of "rawness" which is what a lot of people have been saying about these 2, Patterson is by far more raw. I am not sure whether you saw one of the highlight clips when Patterson was lining up next to Hunter and had to in fact ask Hunter where to line up. Furthermore, he tends to prefer to catch the ball with his body.

At the end of the day, it really depends on what you are after. If you are looking for a "jack of all trades" type guy, then Patterson is your man. But, if you are looking for that someone special who can go up to take the top off double teams for the deep ball and end zone plays then Hunter is your man.

In any case, even if Patterson falls, there is just no way he will be able to survive through that late teens to late 20s gauntlet. There are just way too many teams wanting a WR from the Rams, Steelers, Bears, Vikings, Texans and Patriots. And after Tavon Austin and Cordarrelle Patterson go, there won't be enough wideouts to go around in the 1st round and Justin Hunter will go and perhaps Keenan Allen (but, he is predicted to fall big).
Originally posted by Rascal:
Simple. Kyle for the slot, Crab and Anquan are possession receivers as you said. Tell me who is our x receiver ? Who is our deep threat receiver ? Are you going to bank on AJJ breaking through ? Ricardo perhaps ? What if 2 wideouts go down again ? Last season, we literally ran out of receivers as deep as we thought we were at that position.

OK, "inconsistency with the hands", well you know what ? If his hands are as bad as you say they are, he still cleared 1,000 receiving yards plus being rusty coming back from an ACL, can you imagine what if he further improves his hands ?! 1,200, 1,300 yards ?

you've sold me on him, just not with pick 31. I do not want another Brett Swain situation, or Chad Hall. I'm hoping Jenkins develops into a deep threat but who the hell knows with that guy
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
he is soft and is afraid to take a hit


Says who ?

I guess some people think receivers should get right in front of a safety to let them hit him.

Any receiver in his right mind would slide to avoid getting injured. Doesn't make them soft.


Absolutely !! Noone with the right mind would like to be hit. Is just common sense.

Also, it depends on what type of receivers you are talking about. If you are a slot receiver, then you will have to expect to take a fair share of hits in the middle. But, if you are more of a deep threat wideout on the outside, there will be less hits. Justin Hunter will be of the latter.
Have we visited with hunter?
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Simple. Kyle for the slot, Crab and Anquan are possession receivers as you said. Tell me who is our x receiver ? Who is our deep threat receiver ? Are you going to bank on AJJ breaking through ? Ricardo perhaps ? What if 2 wideouts go down again ? Last season, we literally ran out of receivers as deep as we thought we were at that position.

OK, "inconsistency with the hands", well you know what ? If his hands are as bad as you say they are, he still cleared 1,000 receiving yards plus being rusty coming back from an ACL, can you imagine what if he further improves his hands ?! 1,200, 1,300 yards ?

you've sold me on him, just not with pick 31. I do not want another Brett Swain situation, or Chad Hall. I'm hoping Jenkins develops into a deep threat but who the hell knows with that guy


That was how bad the situation was, we tried to play AJ, but the fact that he couldn't be a factor, we even had to play Chad Hall. I would have been OK with it if it was during the regular season, but come on not in the playoffs !!

I am a realistic guy, let's just say may be 1 of the 2 between AJ and Ricardo breaks through in training camp, that will give us Crab, Anquan, AJ or Ricardo and Kyle. We have no idea when Mario will be able to come back given he didn't just blow his ACL, but PCL as well. That to me is still very thin. And if 2 guys go down again we will be in deep you know what.

Justin Hunter might not even survive till 31st. And if you don't want to pick a WR at 31st, the selection will be very different. Personally, I am not entirely sold on the other supposedly high round WR picks such as your Hopkins, Patton, Goodwin and Woods. To be honest with you, I would rather look at a few guys in the later rounds. There are 3 prospects I am looking at :

  • Marquess Wilson - Washington State (6'3', 194 lbs, 4.45 40, rated 33rd, projected to go in 7th or FA)
  • Marcus Davis - Virginia Tech (6'3", 233 lbs, 4.47 40, rated 29th, projected to go in 7th)
  • Tyrone Goard - Eastern Kentucky (6'4", 205 lbs, 4.46 40, rated 36th, projected to go in 7th or FA)

Out of the 3, I got to say I kind of like Marquess Wilson, I think he has great hands, can play the deep ball well, but can also be versatile for the shorter routes. Marcus Davis, is the physical guy out of the lot, pretty much like another Anquan, but only bigger. Tyrone Goard is the dark horse, just not enough film on him, but I can see him a legit deep threat wideout.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Have we visited with hunter?


Unfortunately not. Apart from the combine, all I have heard was we had scouts at the Tennessee Pro-day. I am not even sure whether any scouts talked to anyone. Let's face it, Tennessee is like a shrine when it comes to WRs with Cordarrelle Patterson, Justin Hunter and Da'Rick Rogers. Well, either we are genuinely not interested in any of them or we are trying to keep it on the low cos all of them are hot properties. Is almost impossible to predict, could Baalke be going for someone more of a sure-win type guy from a big football school after AJJ ? May be, may be not. I just don't know.
Originally posted by Rascal:
That was how bad the situation was, we tried to play AJ, but the fact that he couldn't be a factor, we even had to play Chad Hall. I would have been OK with it if it was during the regular season, but come on not in the playoffs !!

I am a realistic guy, let's just say may be 1 of the 2 between AJ and Ricardo breaks through in training camp, that will give us Crab, Anquan, AJ or Ricardo and Kyle. We have no idea when Mario will be able to come back given he didn't just blow his ACL, but PCL as well. That to me is still very thin. And if 2 guys go down again we will be in deep you know what.

Justin Hunter might not even survive till 31st. And if you don't want to pick a WR at 31st, the selection will be very different. Personally, I am not entirely sold on the other supposedly high round WR picks such as your Hopkins, Patton, Goodwin and Woods. To be honest with you, I would rather look at a few guys in the later rounds. There are 3 prospects I am looking at :

  • Marquess Wilson - Washington State (6'3', 194 lbs, 4.45 40, rated 33rd, projected to go in 7th or FA)
  • Marcus Davis - Virginia Tech (6'3", 233 lbs, 4.47 40, rated 29th, projected to go in 7th)
  • Tyrone Goard - Eastern Kentucky (6'4", 205 lbs, 4.46 40, rated 36th, projected to go in 7th or FA)

Out of the 3, I got to say I kind of like Marquess Wilson, I think he has great hands, can play the deep ball well, but can also be versatile for the shorter routes. Marcus Davis, is the physical guy out of the lot, pretty much like another Anquan, but only bigger. Tyrone Goard is the dark horse, just not enough film on him, but I can see him a legit deep threat wideout.

I actually like Hopkins a lot but he doesn't fit what this team needs at receiver. Marques Wilson is a great receiver, only downgraded because of his "differences" with Mike Leach. I'm certain Hunter will last into the second round. And if he doesn't then certainly another receiver will slide. I certainly can't wait until Thursday! Gonna be fun! :)
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
I actually like Hopkins a lot but he doesn't fit what this team needs at receiver. Marques Wilson is a great receiver, only downgraded because of his "differences" with Mike Leach. I'm certain Hunter will last into the second round. And if he doesn't then certainly another receiver will slide. I certainly can't wait until Thursday! Gonna be fun! :)


If you think Hunter will fall to the 2nd round, are you suggesting to take him at 34th ? Cos I don't think you will stand a chance at 61st.

Likewise, I can't wait. But, I am going in almost with a "flippant" mentality cos noone thinks we will be picking a WR or even a TE in the high rounds. I really am going in with a "thinking out of the box" approach with a "nothing to lose" attitude. In other words, I really don't expect Baalke and Harbaugh will be so bold to go WR and/or TE that high or at most may be a TE in the first 3 picks. So, I am kind of relaxed about it, afterall what will go down will go down.
Originally posted by Rascal:
If you think Hunter will fall to the 2nd round, are you suggesting to take him at 34th ? Cos I don't think you will stand a chance at 61st.

Likewise, I can't wait. But, I am going in almost with a "flippant" mentality cos noone thinks we will be picking a WR or even a TE in the high rounds. I really am going in with a "thinking out of the box" approach with a "nothing to lose" attitude. In other words, I really don't expect Baalke and Harbaugh will be so bold to go WR and/or TE that high or at most may be a TE in the first 3 picks. So, I am kind of relaxed about it, afterall what will go down will go down.

Yes at 34 because I believe this team needs a pass rusher let it be 34 DE or OLB and should take whoever is their best player available in either of these 2 areas at 31. Leaving a high valued defensive player at the end of round 1 scares me because Jags have a whole day to shop pick 33. Personally though I'd rather see pass rusher, safety, then trade into mid 2nd round and take a receiver. This would then make getting a tight end difficult. I think in the end you see a 3rd or 4th rounder used on a deep threat and Travis Kelce or some "joker" tight end taken at end of round 2/ round 3.
Does anyone else think that Hunter lacks "suddenness"? He lacks that explosiveness out of his cuts, which translates into his inability to make guys miss after the catch. It's a shame, because he has the height, speed, and catching radius/hands to be a great receiver. But that suddenness is probably the most important trait to being an explosive player.
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
Yes at 34 because I believe this team needs a pass rusher let it be 34 DE or OLB and should take whoever is their best player available in either of these 2 areas at 31. Leaving a high valued defensive player at the end of round 1 scares me because Jags have a whole day to shop pick 33. Personally though I'd rather see pass rusher, safety, then trade into mid 2nd round and take a receiver. This would then make getting a tight end difficult. I think in the end you see a 3rd or 4th rounder used on a deep threat and Travis Kelce or some "joker" tight end taken at end of round 2/ round 3.


Yep, most likely DL and DB before anything else. Once we go past the 1st, I have no issues at all if we pick say a Marquess Wilson in the 5th or even in later rounds. At that point, I am more concerned we pick a tall guy that can play the deep ball as opposed to some small guy who plays the slot. But, if that happens, I sure hope they will still pick a TE in the 2nd like a Ertz for example. But, if we go past 34th, yea it will have to be a lower level of TEs such as Kelce or others.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Does anyone else think that Hunter lacks "suddenness"? He lacks that explosiveness out of his cuts, which translates into his inability to make guys miss after the catch. It's a shame, because he has the height, speed, and catching radius/hands to be a great receiver. But that suddenness is probably the most important trait to being an explosive player.

this could be due to his ACL injury but I also believe he didn't receive very good coaching at Tennessee. Look at that offense. Bray throwing to Patterson and Hunter should have allowed this team to do some damage in the SEC.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Does anyone else think that Hunter lacks "suddenness"? He lacks that explosiveness out of his cuts, which translates into his inability to make guys miss after the catch. It's a shame, because he has the height, speed, and catching radius/hands to be a great receiver. But that suddenness is probably the most important trait to being an explosive player.


Yes, I know what you are talking about. He is not explosive like your Tavon Austin and Cordarrelle Patterson in that regard. He might not shake the DB at the point of contact, he will run past them on a longer vertical route or if he is still jammed up he is not so concerned cos he knows at 6'4" with a vertical leap of 40", he can beat the DBs up top as long as the QB throws a high ball to let him compete. But, you are right, he is not a big run the catch type receiver. He truly is a deep ball guy, 50, 60, 70 yarders, going up in taking the top off and end zone high fade type plays are his areas of forte.
we have to take this guy if hes there at 34