There are 309 users in the forums

1st Rd. Prospect: Justin Hunter - WR (Ten)

I think he's better than Patterson. Don't see how someone could be blowing a load over Patterson but not Hunter. He was the better receiver at Tennessee.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Where is rascal at to pimp out his boy J.hunter N school y'all lol ..I wouldn't mind picking hunter with #74 but I know he'll be gone by then...

I'd take him at 34 or 61, but he is averaging 54.2 on everyone's big boards that I've averaged out this past month

That all good I'm just in tha mind set we Need defense first ... I mean people say AJ needs to bulk up will hunter is about tha same weight 197 or something like that N 6'4 I believe AJ is 6' N 195 or something like that ... I like hunter he is my favorite WR in this class I just don't think we should spend a high pick on a WR OR TE...

Well, my guess is the Rams will definitely pick up a big time WR, be it Tavon Austin or Cordarrelle Patterson. Needless to say, Seahawks already has Percy Harvin. Then, one would expect Fitz will become a bigger factor this season with Carson Palmer behind center who is known for this deep ball. In other words, in my opinion it is paramount we arm ourselves accordingly with enough weapons to be able to go against the tougher opponents. Don't forget we will be playing RG3 plus Julio Jones this season as well.
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Where is rascal at to pimp out his boy J.hunter N school y'all lol ..I wouldn't mind picking hunter with #74 but I know he'll be gone by then...

I'd take him at 34 or 61, but he is averaging 54.2 on everyone's big boards that I've averaged out this past month

That all good I'm just in tha mind set we Need defense first ... I mean people say AJ needs to bulk up will hunter is about tha same weight 197 or something like that N 6'4 I believe AJ is 6' N 195 or something like that ... I like hunter he is my favorite WR in this class I just don't think we should spend a high pick on a WR OR TE...

would be stoked if he was there at the end of the 2nd round for some bizarre reason
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I think he's better than Patterson. Don't see how someone could be blowing a load over Patterson but not Hunter. He was the better receiver at Tennessee.

I think Patterson's measurables are what have people drooling. But I like hunter better as a pure WR. He has good height and speed and from the clips i have seen very good hands and body control, actually kinda reminds me of AJ Green a lil bit in the way he goes up and plucks the ball out of the air with that long body.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KegBert:

I think Patterson's measurables are what have people drooling. But I like hunter better as a pure WR. He has good height and speed and from the clips i have seen very good hands and body control, actually kinda reminds me of AJ Green a lil bit in the way he goes up and plucks the ball out of the air with that long body.

That is absolutely right !! There is a definitely an argument to be made that Justin Hunter is better than Cordarelle Patterson as a pure receiver in terms of making a play in catching the ball. Patterson's upside is more about what he does after the catch with his amazing running ability and of course as a kick returner as well. But, if you are talking about going up to take the top off against double teams, Justin Hunter is your man while Cordarrelle Patterson tends to catch the ball with his body more. Bottomline, Justin Hunter is your prototypical deep ball playmaker which is what the 9ers need badly !!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Justin Hunter's stock is definitely on the rise based on my observation. I have seen numerous recent articles and clips including :

Actually, this isn't exactly good news for us if we are to get him. But, I do have a feeling we may trade up to land a WR. A lot of people have said Tavon Austin, I just can't see it cos it may require very serious trading up plus I am thinking we might want to go after a prototypical tall legit deep threat guy.

This is when it gets interesting, Cordarrelle Patterson's stock is dropping for various reasons, but mainly because of his rawness and may take a while before he can grasp the offense when he already had issues at Tennessee. If he falls down to the 20s which could mean he would be in the Justin Hunter area, who would you pick then ?!
Hunter is not a first round talent. His measurables are first round material but the tape says otherwise. He runs poor routes and is inconsistent when it comes to catching the ball.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
Hunter is not a first round talent. His measurables are first round material but the tape says otherwise. He runs poor routes and is inconsistent when it comes to catching the ball.

Inconsistent ? He came back after his ACL, yes while rusty still cleared 1,000 receiving yards.

Besides, there could be as many as 6 teams before us that could draft a WR, Rams, Vikings, Steelers, Texans, Green Bay and Pats, tell me who is going to fill that need then ?
Originally posted by Rascal:
Inconsistent ? He came back after his ACL, yes while rusty still cleared 1,000 receiving yards.

Besides, there could be as many as 6 teams before us that could draft a WR, Rams, Vikings, Steelers, Texans, Green Bay and Pats, tell me who is going to fill that need then ?

GB don't need a WR but point taken.
Originally posted by Rascal:

my question: is there a need? I don't think so. Kyle Williams and Jenkins have deep speed. Boldin and Crabs are possession receivers. Why take a wideout in the first again? It makes no sense. Da'Rick Rogers is more talented than Hunter and will be available in the third. And I said 'inconsistent when it comes to catching the ball" so I'm questioning his hands in other words.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I didn't know Hunter had a torn acl. Kind of ruins it for me.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I didn't know Hunter had a torn acl. Kind of ruins it for me.

Meh, he had his best season after it happened.

His production is first round material. He'd be one hell of a steal in the second round.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/0ap2000000154393/2013-Combine-workout-Justin-Hunter

Looks like he's got some good hands to me.

03/28/13 - 2013 Tennessee Pro Day: All 32 NFL teams sent representatives to Wednesday's pro day at the University of Tennessee, where wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson and quarterback Tyler Bray were the big attractions. Justin Hunter (6-3 7/8, 200) had a 40-1/2-inch vertical, 11' 6" in the broad jump, 7.19 in the three-cone drill, and was smooth and fluid. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

03/24/13 - 2012 Tennessee Pro Day: Hunter measured in a shade under 6-4, 200 pounds. He had a 7.20-second three-cone time and elected to compete in the vertical jump Wednesday despite posting an impressive 39.5" effort in Indianapolis. The explosive Hunter, who was characterized as having the flexibility and springs of "Gumby" by the league source, led all Vols with a 40.5" effort Wednesday. He also improved in the broad jump (11'4" at the combine) with an 11'6" effort in Knoxville. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
[ Edited by btthepunk on Apr 19, 2013 at 11:49 PM ]
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/0ap2000000154393/2013-Combine-workout-Justin-Hunter

Looks like he's got some good hands to me.

the combine does demonstrate good hands. However, watch his games. Beside that how often is he gonna be running on the field by himself without a defender? Never. Another aspect of his game I dislike is how he tries to create separation at LOS. He's a big guy but tries juking out cornerbacks. Big guys should get physical. If he's available mid to late second round then sure. But I'd rather have Keenan Allen
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
my question: is there a need? I don't think so. Kyle Williams and Jenkins have deep speed. Boldin and Crabs are possession receivers. Why take a wideout in the first again? It makes no sense. Da'Rick Rogers is more talented than Hunter and will be available in the third. And I said 'inconsistent when it comes to catching the ball" so I'm questioning his hands in other words.

Simple. Kyle for the slot, Crab and Anquan are possession receivers as you said. Tell me who is our x receiver ? Who is our deep threat receiver ? Are you going to bank on AJJ breaking through ? Ricardo perhaps ? What if 2 wideouts go down again ? Last season, we literally ran out of receivers as deep as we thought we were at that position.

OK, "inconsistency with the hands", well you know what ? If his hands are as bad as you say they are, he still cleared 1,000 receiving yards plus being rusty coming back from an ACL, can you imagine what if he further improves his hands ?! 1,200, 1,300 yards ?
Share 49ersWebzone